The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-02-2020, 04:00 PM

Default My cat might not like my guitar playing ...

... but she sure does like it when I change my strings ... lol

Will sit with me through the whole adventure (that’s what it is to her), purring every minute and giving me her complete attention. Any time the end of the string gets close, she gives it a swat. If I leave the case open, she’s in, and I have to fight her to get her out (she’s a pretty big cat ... Haha).

Not all my cats have been this focused when I’ve changed strings, made my day today

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:10 PM

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-02-2020, 04:50 PM
Guest 33123

Beware of cats and open guitar cases. There are some who mistake open cases for an alternate litter box. I read an article in VGM about a Les Paul owner whose cat made a deposit in his case without him knowing and he put his guitar away in it. The article was about fixing the aftermath to the Les Paul. It was NOT pretty. Cat urine is brutal stuff. The case was garbage and the guitar was corroded and stained.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 11-02-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Beware of cats and open guitar cases. There are some who mistake open cases for an alternate litter box. I read an article in VGM about a Les Paul owner whose cat made a deposit in his case without him knowing and he put his guitar away in it. The article was about fixing the aftermath to the Les Paul. It was NOT pretty. Cat urine is brutal stuff. The case was garbage and the guitar was corroded and stained.
That sounds like it has all the makings of a great song - I just can't pin down what genre.

Blues, Country or Heavy Metal?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 11-02-2020, 05:26 PM

My cats come running when they hear us playing. They might like the sound of guitar and flute, but mostly I believe it is, "Hey buddy, if you have time to sit there with that thing, you have time to pet ME. It's all about me". I have always been diligent about closing guitar cases, because they are a favored cat bed. Leave one open and empty for 10 seconds and a cat magically appears. I got tired of vacuuming cat hair out of them. Never had any litter box issues though......
Old 11-02-2020, 07:23 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
That sounds like it has all the makings of a great song - I just can't pin down what genre.

Blues, Country or Heavy Metal?
Funk. Lowdown, stinky funk.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Funk. Lowdown, stinky funk.
Ok ... but let's leave out the 'scratch & sniff' album cover.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 11-02-2020, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Brucebubs, that sure is one gorgeous kitty. S/he matches your guitar case.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-02-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
... but she sure does like it when I change my strings ... lol

Will sit with me through the whole adventure (that’s what it is to her), purring every minute and giving me her complete attention. Any time the end of the string gets close, she gives it a swat. If I leave the case open, she’s in, and I have to fight her to get her out (she’s a pretty big cat ... Haha).

Not all my cats have been this focused when I’ve changed strings, made my day today
Great story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post

Brucebubs, that sure is one gorgeous kitty.
I very much agree.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Brucebubs, that sure is one gorgeous kitty. S/he matches your guitar case.
Sadly he has passed away now - absolutely beautiful cat - went to adopt a shelter cat, said hello to all the cats in a big enclosure, sat on a chair and closed my eyes, within seconds a cat was on my lap, repeated this 3 times and all 3 times it was him! I had an Airedale Terrier and a Golden Retriever at home, after a few days inside the new cat walked straight out the back door and right up to them, "Oh no' I thought ... they sniffed him and he bit them! Right there and then he put them both in their place and they never chased or hurt him in any way.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 11-03-2020, 09:31 AM

I agree that a cat should choose you rather than you choosing the cat. If a cat isn't interested in you to start with, then you probably won't have much of a relationship with it. I believe that cats can make a pretty good assessment of who you are very quickly . All of my cats chose me, and I've had a loving relationship with them all.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Sadly he has passed away now - absolutely beautiful cat - went to adopt a shelter cat, said hello to all the cats in a big enclosure, sat on a chair and closed my eyes, within seconds a cat was on my lap, repeated this 3 times and all 3 times it was him! I had an Airedale Terrier and a Golden Retriever at home, after a few days inside the new cat walked straight out the back door and right up to them, "Oh no' I thought ... they sniffed him and he bit them! Right there and then he put them both in their place and they never chased or hurt him in any way.
That's a great story about your cat. He chose you! I'm sure he must have smelled the dogs' scent on you, but he didn't care. He knew he could take care of himself.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-03-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

We are in a new generation of cats and have four under 3.5yo. The lone female, Lucie, really enjoys string change activities. As soon as she hears the packaging, she's all in. She loves the strings, and her brother likes to steal anything made of plastic (like the packaging).
Old 11-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Ok ... but let's leave out the 'scratch & sniff' album cover.
Hahaha!

I hope I didn't come across anti-cat. I grew up with cats and I'm known as the "cat whisperer" among my family. Cats always love me and the feeling is mutual. We had a cat a couple of years ago but had to re-home him to a nice family with a farm. He was an outdoor cat who just could not adjust to indoor living.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 11-03-2020 at 10:40 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic