The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-02-2020, 10:13 AM

Default Luna Nylon and narrow nut Questions

HI all,

I'm in the market for a Nylon string, preferably full sized, with a narrow nut. I'd like to get a 1 11/16" nut. In looking around I have found some various guitars with narrower nuts. I then stumbled upon this Luna that being released in a few weeks with a 1 11/16" nut.

1- I know nothing about Luna. Anyone have thoughts on them or know anything about this guitar?

2- Are there other makers who are making nylon 1 11/16" guitars?

I have smaller hands and even a 1 3/4 pains me but 1 11/16 are great. My Music Man Axis Sport is even the best. Possibly the narrowest nut in all of electrics.

Thanks.
https://www.lunaguitars.com/query?upc=818896025126

edit--I just realized that that Luna site lists it as 1 7/8 but all other sites list it as 1 11/16 and it's being marketed as a narrow nut nylon. I need to find out for sure

Last edited by Marley; 10-02-2020 at 10:34 AM. Reason: nut size
Old 10-02-2020, 05:04 PM

I suspect 1 7/8 is correct as that would be considered narrow for a nylon string. 1 7/8 is approximately 48mm, and most nylon stringed guitars range from 48 to 52mm.

And that may seem wide, but I have 3 nylon guitars, one each with 48, 50, and 52mm nut widths. The 48mm nut is almost too narrow for me because of the larger vibration amplitude of nylon strings.

As example, imagine you’re playing a standard 1st position C chord, so your pointer finger is on the 2nd string, 1st fret. If you pick the 3rd string very hard, it is likely to vibrate and hit the fingernail of your pointer finger on the 2nd string.

In summary, I find that I need more space between strings on a nylon guitar.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 10-02-2020, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
HI all,

I'm in the market for a Nylon string, preferably full sized, with a narrow nut. I'd like to get a 1 11/16" nut. In looking around I have found some various guitars with narrower nuts. I then stumbled upon this Luna that being released in a few weeks with a 1 11/16" nut.

1- I know nothing about Luna. Anyone have thoughts on them or know anything about this guitar?

2- Are there other makers who are making nylon 1 11/16" guitars?

I have smaller hands and even a 1 3/4 pains me but 1 11/16 are great. My Music Man Axis Sport is even the best. Possibly the narrowest nut in all of electrics.

Thanks.
https://www.lunaguitars.com/query?upc=818896025126

edit--I just realized that that Luna site lists it as 1 7/8 but all other sites list it as 1 11/16 and it's being marketed as a narrow nut nylon. I need to find out for sure
I'd suggest a 3/4 sized guitar, but even then, I doubt you'd fine a nut smaller that 1 7/8 inches? Do you have an acoustic steel string guitar, now?

Don
Old 10-03-2020, 07:14 AM

Thanks guys.

Yes I have several acoustics including a hand made one a luthier from the AGF built for me about 7 years ago and a Taylor GS mini-to name two. I screwed up when I commissioned my custom guitar because I went with the “standard” 1 3/4” nut and it’s simply too wide for my hands. I can play it no problem but after a bit, the neck width will get to my hands. The 1 11/16 Taylor on the other hand is perfect. I can play it all day and night. Had I known better, I would have ordered my build in 1 11/16 like a lot of Martins. I did find this Fender nylon CN-140SCE that has 1 11/16 nut. Anyone know this guitar? Obviously if companies are making these guitars, I’m not the only one looking for this. I know many players have problems with narrow nuts. I get that but I’m not one of those players. My Music Man electric probably has the narrowest nut in the electric guitar world at 41.3mm and many players don’t like it because of that but that’s why me and my hands love it. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-03-2020, 07:33 AM

Default Ortega Nylon String Guitar - 43mm nut (1 & 11/16 inches)

HI Marley,

There is a similar thread where I posted this yesterday.

I believe Ortega is a German company. They make a nylon string crossover type instrument in a traveler size guitar. It is a 43mm nut, 24 inch scale, with pickup.

Here is a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woUOYJuCuTk

Here is a link to the company site: https://ortegaguitars.com/en/product...mm-m13202.html

I realize you said you preferred full size; however, this is the closest thing I could find off the shelf, in a nylon with that size nut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical