The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:49 PM

Default Halcyon/Tinker thread

This thread has passed the 300 post limit.

Continuation thread here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?p=5166449

Hey everyone. I settled on a Halcyon OM after a pretty healthy search. It occurred to me that there is no consolidated Halcyon thread. I know I had to do a bit of searching to get a consensus. Any Halcyon owners want to share their builds, pictures, stories of search, stories of ownership, in the hopes that it gets Ed's name more out there? He seems like a good dude that makes great products, and ridiculous prices. The kind of guy you hope does well. And....go!

Update: Here are some helpful links for anyone saying Halcy-what?

Podcast with Ed: http://www.fretboardjournal.com/podc...alcyon-guitars

Home page: http://www.halcyonguitars.com

Halcyon Facebook( the most up to date site for watching creations come to life): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halcy...02308099905683

Halcyon Twitter: https://twitter.com/halcyonguitars

Other random links:

http://www.seattleguitarstore.com/halcyon/

There are a handful of build threads on AGF, and several posts from Bluedog Guitars showing the completed builds. I tried linking them, but it wouldn't work. They are there, and very much worth investigating. I would go to the search function on the forum and simply search for Halcyon.

I hope some folks find this helpful

Drew

Last edited by cigarfan; 12-22-2016 at 09:12 AM. Reason: link to new thread
Old 03-06-2015, 03:09 PM

Thanks for starting this as I am interested also. I put in an order for a Lutz/Walnut/Ebony short scale OM this week and would love to see what other people have. I agree about Ed, seems like a real good guy and has been very helpful in the decision process.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:31 PM

I have had my Flamed Walnut Sitka AJ #63 since September. It is simply a fantastic guitar. The set up is still as good as the day I got. I use it mostly for finger picking but it strums beautifully and is loud and clear. I put black Schaller tuners on it and they may look a little odd but I like them. I also use a TRIC case which are all Canadian made and my favourite? I have been diligent in case humidification but I dont tend to obsess with hygrometers and such. I use a soap dish design I got from Fazool with a sponge and water beads. I also use a Planet Waves sound hole humidifier. I compare this guitar to a Gibson J15 in looks and tone but also weight. It is incredibly light.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=359389

As for Ed Bond, he has been pretty cool to deal with. Friendly patient and knowledgable. I wish him the greatest success. I have recently ordered Walnut SJ #124 in the build order. I think I may have some open gear Schertler tuners with Ebony knobs (thanks Wade) installed on this one. Just to add my touch. I know the tuners Ed uses are very good as well. Who knows? I am hoping I can get a TRIC case for it.

Last edited by Gasworker; 03-06-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Too many "as wells"��
Old 03-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Default #69

Hey Guys - Happy Halcyon owner, and considering sending a reserve deposit for a second. My build thread is here.

My OM is Lutz/Primavera, and it is definitely the best playing guitar I have, and most of mine are professionally set up. The only one that comes close is the SCGC, and that is after a recent set up with new bridge. Amazing how fast I can zip around the neck, and it's the only neck that plays like it's capo'd right below my fret hand, no matter where on the neck I am. Tone is even across the board with a bias on the high end without getting chimey (some might call this a modern guitar sound), but a solid thump bass. For the second one, I'm going to talk to Ed about the same playing dynamics with a more traditional tone (nothing specific — not really Gibson or Martin, but a bit beefier).

I think the only thing I would have done differently is a K&K pickup, because the two I have are easier to control (for me) than the Schatten pickup I tried here. However, I am about to do some recording and that experience may change my mind on the Schatten. Also, I was on the fence about 14 vs. 12 fret, and I could go either way again … I am partial to 12-frets.

Look forward to watching your build. What is Ed's build time now … or, did you get an ETA? (I'm sure Ed will show up here soon:-)

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by pjroberts; 03-06-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added build thread URL
Old 03-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Other Halcyon Links

I collected some other Halcyon info sources, some of which you're probably tuned into:

More Halcyon info:
Most fun is watching the build progress on Facebook. Check out that page to see what's up at Ed's workshop on any given week.

One last point — forget the 'recession ready' label. That may apply to his price list, but not the guitar that's delivered. No hint of recession in this guitar!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I've considered a Halcyon build several times. I've even reached out with specific questions and they've always responded extremely promptly (like, within an hour or two). Ed seems really great and I'm glad to see this thread of support.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:45 PM

I ordered an ovangkol lutz ebony 000 12-fret on New Year's Eve. The hard part is the wait and the second guessing that comes with it. I keep going back and forth on the back and side wood. Primavera and rosewood keep coming to mind and Ed's maples sure look pretty.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:51 PM

Wait is 6 months at present. Ed has been super cool, and it's so cool to be able to pick every little detail. In my case. OM 25.5 scale with 1 3/4 nut, Lutz top, Walnut back and sides( hoping for figured with a creamy center like on his FB page to give a lower budget Cocobolo look), Adirondack bracing, ebony bridge and fingerboard, and curly maple binding. Mmm. It'll be a long 6 months.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
Wait is 6 months at present. Ed has been super cool, and it's so cool to be able to pick every little detail. In my case. OM 25.5 scale with 1 3/4 nut, Lutz top, Walnut back and sides( hoping for figured with a creamy center like on his FB page to give a lower budget Cocobolo look), Adirondack bracing, ebony bridge and fingerboard, and curly maple binding. Mmm. It'll be a long 6 months.
Seems like it but it goes by really quick. That's flamed walnut on the dread and it has more colours in it than you possibly imagine. Stunning!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I guess that leaves me with 4 months to go. Build #125, 12 string lutz/rosewood dread.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith View Post
I guess that leaves me with 4 months to go. Build #125, 12 string lutz/rosewood dread.
So, is this the second Halcyon 12-string? I followed the first late last year, and bet his guitars sound great with 12 strings -- when I play music noted as intended for 12-string parts, my 6-string Halcyon best fills the gap.

6 months? I think it's been quoted here a number of times, that the waiting is the hardest part. Time to check in with Ed.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
So, is this the second Halcyon 12-string? I followed the first late last year, and bet his guitars sound great with 12 strings -- when I play music noted as intended for 12-string parts, my 6-string Halcyon best fills the gap.

6 months? I think it's been quoted here a number of times, that the waiting is the hardest part. Time to check in with Ed.
I believe it is the second 12 string.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Adirondack bracing, ebony bridge and fingerboard, and curly maple binding.
Is there an up-charge for binding or did you order a Tinker? I don't think the standard Halcyon comes with binding.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I took possession of a Lutz/Padauk 12 fret 000 a couple weeks ago. I had never seen a padauk guitar before so it was a bit of a gamble. I asked Ed to make a big round neck with a 1 13/16" nut so its a pretty unique guitar. It also got the ebony fretboard & bridge.

We're still getting to know each other...but so far so good.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
Is there an up-charge for binding or did you order a Tinker? I don't think the standard Halcyon comes with binding.

Standard Halcyon comes with binding, but that's ambiguous in the price sheet as "our choice," but Ed is flexible and my interpretation after working with him is he may change anything out that doesn't cost or isn't diffiult (it is his lower end headstock though, and he does reserve fancier appointments for Tinker). That is body binding, not fret board, which is not bound. My binding was appropriately matched to the zebrawood rosette. It was his choice and it looks great.

Ed can correct me if I'm wrong.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop