The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-14-2020, 06:51 PM

Cool Any Masterclass subscribers out there?

Hi all,

A couple years ago I bought the Hans Zimmer Masterclass course on film scoring for about $90, and I loved it so much. Now they're offering a whole year's worth of unlimited access to ALL Masterclass courses for $89 and I just couldn't pass it up. Tom Morello and Carlos Santana both teach guitar courses on the platform, which I will probably take part in once I finish the class I just started with Timbaland (he teaches music production).

All the courses have assignments and challenges that you can do at your own pace, and there are also forums where you can discuss the coursework and share your work with others in the class. Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there! It's quite a deal, considering each class by itself used to be around $100.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/...lectric-guitar
Old 07-14-2020, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

I hae a subscription and have completed several of the classes, including Carlos Santana's. That class is not what I would think most of us would call "lessons". It was closer to "Carlos' Zen of Guitar". It was interesting to listen to him talk on some subjects, like leading a band and how to own the stage at a concert, but it's not guitar lessons. I haven't checked Tom's out yet.

Chris Hadfeild's course on Space Exploration was outstanding. The one year, all you can eat plan is worth it.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:56 AM

Is this offer for current/ past members only? I considered a class, years ago, but never signed up. Wondered it they were worth the cost, money was tight, questioned the hype, yada, yada. Sounds like a whole year for the cost of one class is too good a deal to pass up. I am not finding that price on their website though.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:59 PM

I also purchased the Zimmer master class and really enjoyed it.

However, I realized that 'master classes' are traditionally aimed at advanced practitioners, and do not contain anything for developing skills but are more about supercharging your existing skills.

This dampened my enthusiasm for going for the all-you-can-eat plan, as my main focus was on actionable learning and application of skills.

Now with covid-19, I may revisit that.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-18-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I am seeing more advertisements for Masterclasses lately...Sheila E. teaches drumming, Margaret Atwood teachings storytelling, etc. I think the course taught by Jane Goodall looks interesting as well as the music production courses. They seem to me more like "The Great Courses" offerings which are survey or appreciation courses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic