The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 04:16 AM

Default NGD Yamaha LJ16 - great value guitar

I recently bought a guitar that i was pleasantly surprised with and is in a popular discussion niche here on AGF: all solid wood at <$1000. The guitar is the Yamaha LJ16.

The L designation means their more traditional (advertised as “handcrafted”) line, J for their medium jumbo body size, and 16 refers to their entry level all solid wood models.

I was looking for a larger bodied guitar with a slightly beefier neck, at least 1.75 inch string spacing at the nut, and a strong, balanced tone. I was also looking for something that I wouldn’t be terribly concerned about around kids or traveling / camping (I.e. not terribly expensive). There are of course many dreads available, but it’s not my favorite body shape ergonomically and dreads tend to be equipped with pretty scrawny necks (for some reason...).

The top wood on the LJ16 is Engelmann spruce, which I would have thought is a less common spruce choice for a larger bodied guitar, but it sounds good coupled with the lovely east Indian rosewood back and sides. The top is treated with Yamaha Acoustic Resonance Enhancement (ARE), which means the tops are stored for a time under controlled temperature, humidity, and pressure to get an aged quality to the sound. I have no idea how effective this is as I don’t have an equivalent uncooked guitar to compare with, but I can say the tone is pretty good to my ear and the balance across the tonal range seems particularly good, which I tend to be sensitive to. Good balance is one of the advertised benefits of the ARE technology.

The LJ16 is made in China, which helps explain the very reasonable price for an all solid wood guitar. If you aren’t a stickler for perfect joins completely free of dried glue etc. the construction seems quite good and the playability and sound is really excellent for the price. The fiddlier bits such as the binding and rosette for example are executed reasonably on mine. The LJ16 does come with a plastic nut, saddle, and bridge pins which is less than inspiring, but these are obviously all easily replaceable.

I’m certainly no Yamaha expert, and others can pitch in with salient points I’ve left out. Overall the LJ16 is probably not your first choice if you’re a nuanced and sensitive finger-stylist (which I try to be about 20% of the time—with limited success). I really think though, that many will find this guitar very satisfying for a whole lot of playing styles, and pretty amazing value.
IMO, YMMV and such
Old 09-24-2018, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

That's a beautiful guitar and the burst looks very nicely done. In recent years I haven't played any Yamahas except for the their low-end offerings. But 5-6 years back, I gifted one of their mid-priced guitars to a friend. I forget which model but it was in the $500-$600 range. To this day he still loves that guitar. I was over his place last week because he and I were fleshing out a song for a movie short he's scoring, and all these years later he still raves about that guitar. So I'm not surprised when anyone says they love their Yamaha. Best of luck with it.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-24-2018, 06:35 AM

Wow! That is a very pretty guitar. You are correct- a great value, too.

I think Yamaha has a way of making what ever materials mix they choose for a guitar, work. They don't follow the crowd, necessarily.

Enjoy your new guitar. Play it often.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:23 AM

For some reason those are much harder to find in the US. I love yours and that burst is gorgeous! Happy NGD!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-24-2018, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the kind thoughts folks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
For some reason those are much harder to find in the US. I love yours and that burst is gorgeous! Happy NGD!
Yes! I noticed this as well when I was googling what the US prices on these were. It’s a mystery—usually the other way around...
Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

I owned a LS16, which I was very impressed with. Great construction quality, easy to play, good tone. Not enough bottom end for me, though, but very impressive.
I'm sure the LJ model fixes that, as does the LL.
Superb values, along with the A series.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:14 PM

Hey CycleBob does that way cool alligator skin case come with that guitar?
Also do you know what the size difference between the LJ16 and the LL16 is? Which is bigger/smaller?
Beautiful guitar! I really like the finish.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 PM

Congrat's on a great guitar!

I'm a long-time Yamaha fan, and especially the L (Lotus) series. Best dread' I've ever owned was an L series Yamaha.

Enjoy.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 09-24-2018, 12:21 PM

Very pretty guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 09-24-2018, 12:34 PM

That's a sweet looking guitar, and Yamaha has pretty consistent build quality. Enjoy!
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 09-24-2018, 12:34 PM

It’s amazing what that guitar provides for that price - ebony fretboard and bridge, solid rosewood back and sides, Yamaha finish quality, 1 3/4 nut and neck with substantial profile and multipiece (better). Nice write up and burst on that one.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:11 PM

I know we have folks that work in or own retail guitar stores on this forum. Can anyone tell me WHY this wonderful instrument is so rare here in the States? The only ones that shops carry are the signature models for 1K.

I keep an eye on EBay, Craigslist, and GC used but they are rare as hen's teeth there as well.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-24-2018, 02:10 PM

Looks nice. Would love to play one.

I have an 1981 L-20A Yamaha that is a wonderful sounding guitar.
If your LJ16 is anything like my L 20A, you have a keeper.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:00 PM

Default NGD Yamaha LJ16 - great value guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Hey CycleBob does that way cool alligator skin case come with that guitar?

Also do you know what the size difference between the LJ16 and the LL16 is? Which is bigger/smaller?

Beautiful guitar! I really like the finish.

Hey Chickee. I should have said: the case is sold separately from a company called Xtreme. It’s no Hiscox, but I also liked the faux alligator skin! I just happened to have it kicking around the closet and was delighted with the fit.

The LJ16 comes with what’s called a hard gig bag. As it sounds, the top and bottom are rigid and actually looks like an OK quality bit of kit as gig bags go, with decent material, a big gear pocket in the front, and backpack straps.

Good question on the sizes. The LL is the original jumbo shape and larger, but not by heaps. Here’s all three sizes:

The LJ is the medium size and on the left, LL is in the middle, and the small jumbo on the right. The actual dimensions of the LJ (above) and LL (below) are here:

Old 09-24-2018, 05:33 PM

I totally love my LL16 ARE. My FG820 ain't no slouch either.

Yamaha brings their A game, especially for the asking price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion