The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 08:18 PM

Default Close to the Martin guitar factory

I’ll be over close to the martin guitar factory for some work soon. Now time won’t allow for a tour but I’d read online that a few miles from the factory they had a store. I couldn’t find any website for that store but the question I have is it worth making the time to go over there?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:08 PM

I think you're referring to Nazareth Music (nazarethmusic.com). I have not been there and their website is pretty minimal, but they might be worth a look if you're in the area.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:23 PM

I thought there was a "store" at the factory where you can play Martins.
But if you want to buy one you must coordinate the sale with the dealer of your choice.

If I'm mistaken someone please correct me.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
But if you want to buy one you must coordinate the sale with the dealer of your choice.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

They have some lower end guitars in the lobby you can play and some higher end ones in a little room at the back of the gift shop. You can buy one there but I read it would be at full MSRP. My tour guide said you just have to tell them what shop you want to get the credit for the sale. You can also pre-coordinate ahead of time with a dealer to get a better price.

OP, if there is any way you can spare an hour go for the tour. It is outstanding, probably the best factory tour I've ever done. You are literally right on the shop floor next to the people making Martins.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:09 PM

Perhaps the OP is referring to the Guitar Makers Connection that is housed in the old Martin Factory on North Street, which is just behind the Victorian home that was one the Martin family home and is now the Nazareth vistor's center.

But all they sell there are guitar kits, neck blanks, that sort of thing.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:48 PM

Last time I was there - in the early '90's to bring in one for a neck reset, I walked out with a new one, factory second, and some other stuff - which I bargained for with the guy who ran their shop. When I was done, he told me, "Boy, I enjoyed haggling with you. Most people won't even try."

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
I think you're referring to Nazareth Music (nazarethmusic.com). I have not been there and their website is pretty minimal, but they might be worth a look if you're in the area.
Been there many years ago after the Martin tour. I do not think there is any direct connection other then being a Martin Dealer in close proximity to the factory. They were meticulous about how guitars are cared for, and treated by potential customers. All guitars were kept in the case, stored in a climate controlled (back) room and you are given an apron before you are handed a guitar. And they are wiped down after use. I seem to remember being asked to wash my hands before I was given a guitar, but I can’t say for sure. Kind of cool if you are looking for a blemish free, factory fresh guitar. Don’t expect the Guitar center experience of being able to window shop.

It might have changed since then.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 09-24-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:

I was there recently and I think they said you can buy one from them and they will credit the purchase to the dealer of your choice. FWIW, the 00-17m I saw there was the same price at the factory as it was at the Guitar Center.

To the OP, the 1833 Shop is at the Factory and Nazareth Music is not an affiliated shop. It's a small music store that is more like a mom and pop version of Music And Arts, the place that deals mostly with band instruments and sheet music.

There is a pretty decent shop outside of Nazareth on RT-191 with some nice stuff. They make their own Tele's and Basses and up to recently drums. It's called Guitar Villa.

http://www.guitar-villa.com/custom-builds
Old 09-24-2018, 07:30 AM

when i took the tour in the 90s there were two
fellows toward the end whose job was to test
guitars. The two were jamming swapping leads.
I asked the tour guide how one gets that job.
she laughed and said one of these guys had to quit or die.
Seemed like a rather sought after position ..
Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 AM

You’ve got a few different options when in Nazareth.
You can go to the actual Martin factory and play any number of different guitars ranging from basic ooo-15’s right up to the top of their line including Authentic’s. It will depend upon what they have out on the stands and what’s hanging on the wall of the picking parlor. You’ll also be able to purchase these guitars though it may not be at the best price available. I’d contact a dealer before marking a purchase. They also have a gift shop with shirts, hats, strings and future garage sale inventory stuff.
You’ll also be able to tour the Martin museum with covers the complete history of Martin guitar and the museum is free.
Nazareth Music which is a mile or so from the factory appears to be just a Mon and Pop store though it is actually a great place to demo any number of different Martin guitars in a great semi-private setting. They are a bit formal though their pricing is 40% off MSRP without any haggle or hassle. I’ve purchased 4 Martin’s from them over the years and just recently received my lefty OO-17 Authentic that they special ordered for me.
The other cool stop is the old Martin factory location with is now named the Guitar Makers Connection. It’s a small(ish) old building chock full of neat odds and ends and you’ll be hard pressed to leave there without buying something. The last time I was there I purchased a mahogany 00-18 slotted neck blank, a rosewood fingerboard and a stack of back issues of Luthier magazine.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:59 PM

Napman41- I think the last store u mentioned is the one I was referring to. I knew they sold some martin blanks and wood that didn’t make the cut at the factory. How’s their prices on all that?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:18 PM

Default Martin Visit

I've done the Behind the Scenes Tour when I was on a business trip. I even went a day early just so I could fit it in.

If there's anyway at all that you can extend your trip to do that tour, you should do it. It's well worth it.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 09-24-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
How’s their prices on all that?
They sell hundreds more items than listed on the website:
https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-shop/#!/c91

A few prices from Aug 2018.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by JonWint; 09-24-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:30 PM

I don't even own a Martin guitar any more, but if I were in the area, a tour would be a mandatory stop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion