The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-25-2018, 07:19 PM

Looks like it's going to be a beauty. Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but wanted to mention that I was lucky enough to see and play one of your guitars the day before yesterday. Incredible. A friend and AGFer was in town and brought his by for me to see and play. Could not have been more impressed. I am guessing it was a model 3. The top was cedar and the back and sides were a new wood to me. Just loved the sound, the look, the playability and the whole vibe! He is coming back for a visit in July and promised to bring the same guitar again. Can't wait. He is, of course, pushing me towards the hogtop you made in a similar size and shape. Made me long for the days when luthiers had AGF road show guitars. Sure glad to have discovered what I found to be a really exciting guitar. Will have to look for musicians playing your guitars on the road and watch for when they come my way. Compliments to the chef.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
Looks like it's going to be a beauty. Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but wanted to mention that I was lucky enough to see and play one of your guitars the day before yesterday. Incredible. A friend and AGFer was in town and brought his by for me to see and play. Could not have been more impressed. I am guessing it was a model 3. The top was cedar and the back and sides were a new wood to me. Just loved the sound, the look, the playability and the whole vibe! He is coming back for a visit in July and promised to bring the same guitar again. Can't wait. He is, of course, pushing me towards the hogtop you made in a similar size and shape. Made me long for the days when luthiers had AGF road show guitars. Sure glad to have discovered what I found to be a really exciting guitar. Will have to look for musicians playing your guitars on the road and watch for when they come my way. Compliments to the chef.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, not derailing at all. I’m really glad you had a chance to play one of my instrument. That particular guitar has back and sides of Lapacho, also known as IPE, one of my favourite woods! Happy to hear that it’s being appreciated and showed around.

You’re right that it’s my Model No.03. The same body shape as the aforementioned Mahogany topped Guitar, though structurally they are different instruments. The mahogany guitar was built back in 2012 prior to my adopting the current back and sides design that is standard on my guitars today and used on the cedar/Lapacho Guitar you had a chance to play. I’ve got the Mahogany topper priced at usd $1950. It’s lightly used and A great sounding guitar, the mahogany soundboard has really opened up. I’d encourage you to take a listen to the Wenge Guitar I have at my canadian dealer http://symphontreemusic.com/project/eike-dion-bews/ it’s got a voice much like the instrument you played, a great guitar for good price.

Thanks again for the kind words!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:57 PM

Old 06-28-2018, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Man is that a perfect creamy top! It’s beautiful.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Man is that a perfect creamy top! It’s beautiful.

Bachman tone woods. I’m seriously excited about every piece I get from Them!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:28 PM

Off for finish!!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:49 PM

I’ve now profiled the neck in all of its square dimensions, this means carving begins tomorrow!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:32 PM

I’ll have better shots of the neck tomorrow, but here’s a teaser. I’ve decided to finish this neck with a u.v safe ecopoxy. I’ve finished light coloured fingerboards using this technique before but never a whole neck. First two coats are on and it’s looking great!

Old 07-17-2018, 01:33 PM

It’s also my first time using these clay side dots, usually I use brass. So far I’m really liking how they look.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:49 PM

Looks amazing. So many interesting things, laminated back and sides, struttinfg pattern, neck block extension. Do you laminate the back up on a radius dish? Must be very responsive. Russ Parker
Old 07-20-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPGuitars View Post
Looks amazing. So many interesting things, laminated back and sides, struttinfg pattern, neck block extension. Do you laminate the back up on a radius dish? Must be very responsive. Russ Parker

Hey Russ, thanks for following the build.! You’re right, these are very responsive guitars with great volume. I laminate the back in a radius dish and use cauls and go-sticks to apply the required pressure.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:49 AM

I’m really loving the look and feel of this epoxy finished, narra neck.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Coming along very nicely! I love the crispness of your work. Thanks for posting progress photos.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Coming along very nicely! I love the crispness of your work. Thanks for posting progress photos.

Thanks for the kind words, and taking a look at my builds!
Old 07-28-2018, 09:09 PM

Just wanted to say the #3 style with Lapacho back and sides came for a 2nd visit on Thursday, and after playing it for about an hour, I can't lowball how impressed I am. It is a little bigger than my 0018vs and incredibly comfortable to hold and play. It's owner has it set up perfectly for me (and him of course). I love the look too. Ultimately tho, this is just a wonderful guitar to hear and I think the guitar is louder than any small guitar I have played or heard. It's owner plays it mostly finger style in alt tunings. I played it with a flat pick. I am lucky enough to have more wonderful guitars than I need, but this one is as nice as any of them. I would love to know a little more about the difference in sound between the #3s and #4s. Would also be interested in the sonic differences between the early 3s and the later #3s due to any design changes. Down the road, some video of these guitars being played are going to grab people. Hope to get the opportunity to play more. Lots of time will end up being spent thinking of what guitar (or 2) would have to go to bring in a Dion. Hit me like the Doerrs, Osthoffs and Froggy Bottoms I played at the show in Harrisburg.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop