The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Here's a couple of photo's of a Ehlers 15" Cocobolo Cedar cutaway I used to own

Nort's Guitars 2009 118 by Norton Graham, on Flickr

Nort's Guitars 2009 114 by Norton Graham, on Flickr
Old 12-29-2017, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Here's a couple of photo's of a Ehlers 16" Koa Spruce cutaway I used to own and hopefully will be getting back soon

Nort's Guitars 2009 106 by Norton Graham, on Flickr

Nort's Guitars 2009 110 by Norton Graham, on Flickr
Old 12-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Here's a couple photo's of a Ehlers 16" Koa Cedar I used to have, traded it, wish I hadn't

Ehlers Koa Cedar-1A by Norton Graham, on Flickr
Ehlers Koa Cedar-1B by Norton Graham, on Flickr
Ehlers Koa Cedar-1F by Norton Graham, on Flickr
Old 03-07-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
I first became aware of Rob Ehlers guitars from the business card size ad he used to have in Frets magazine, then read the feature article in Frets about
Paul Chasman, who was the first player I heard of who had played a Ehlers,

There was also the one page "Frets Looks At" from 1982 that was a review/evaluation of one of his 15" SJC models.

I've gone on to own 5 Ehlers guitars over the years, I regret having sold/traded
3 of the 5, I still have one, which is a 16" SJC with Koa b&s, german spruce top
and has the minstrel inlay on the headstock faceplate.

I have pictures of them on photobucket, however with all the issues with that due to changes, I'll have to explore another hosting site, and then I'll post some photo's.
I am the lucky owner of one of the Ehlers that Nort let slip away, a beautiful 16 with Indian rosewood back and sides. Top had been repaired after cracking, but this baby still sounds (and plays) awesome.

I already owned one Ehlers (a 16SSSBA - Sycamore [or European Maple] back and sides, sitka spruce top and all over sunburst, hence SSSBA), that I had bought from Buffalo Bros. (I wish that place was still in existence.) It's also where I met up with Nort to buy his Ehlers, sort of half distance between us.

I later bought another Ehlers that I found online for sale in Wisconsin, and bought it fairly quickly. That one is a 15 with quilted mahogany back and sides.

The tone and playability of these guitars can only be described as awesome, incredible, great, fantastic and words of similar import. If you can get your hands on an Ehlers, do it.

'nuf sed.

Here are some pics of the European Maple (Sycamore) one:

And here's the quilted mahogany:

Old 03-08-2018, 05:12 PM

I had played a model that looked very much like the one you posted there, but that particular guitar didn't produce the sound I found so wonderful with the sunburst maple. Every guitar is different, even if the same model, so you really. can never tell which will be the "one" until after you've actually played it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-09-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:56 PM

I have a 1994 ehlers SJ16 left handed cutaway model. Original owner, it’s been my exclusive steel string since the day I got it. Rob was a great person to deal with. I called him waaaaay to many times on the phone asking him how it was going and when the guitar would be done and he never lost his cool. He was very laid back and easy going. I’m having a terrible time figuring out how to upload photos on this website, if I figure it out I’ll do so. It has a very highly figured bear claw Sitka top and European maple back and sides. Mahogany neck (I didn’t have enough money to pay the extra $250 for the maple neck) but I guess that makes it unique?
Rob mentioned to me once the Sitka was from a log he shared with mandolin builder John montoleone. He thought it was special. Very woody and mellow tone. Its been played steady and pampered for 20 years.
I echo previous posts here, I would explore ehlers work if the opportunity presents itself. For what they sell for these days (from what I’ve seen) they are an absolute steal.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:02 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156710.../shares/kw6voc
Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 PM

I included a photo of an old post card I still have from acoustic guitar magazine rob ehlers used to advertise in for purposes of nostalgia. That’s how I discovered him. I bought my guitar for $2500 back in 1994 with a 6 month build time wait.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Nice looking and rare (lefty) Ehlers you have,
It would be interesting to know how many left handed guitars Rob built in his career, I'm sure not many.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phony iommi View Post
I’m having a terrible time figuring out how to upload photos on this website, if I figure it out I’ll do so.
Welcome, phony...

Posting Pictures On the AGF

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-24-2018 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Embed link
Old 09-24-2018, 05:42 AM

I've long been a fan of Rob Ehlers' work and was very sad to hear of his passing. We represented him when I worked at TAMCO in Brighton and it was always a red letter day when a pair of Ehlers guitars arrived from New Mexico. They'd come over in wooden boxes reminiscent of some bandido's coffin from the outlaw days which we'd spend hours opening before releasing the guitars from their protective layer of Mexican newspapers advertising local luchador bouts and dust from the journey. It was really quite evocative, got me every time.

It's been years since I last played an Ehlers but that tone has stayed with me. Lovely instruments
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nort View Post
Nice looking and rare (lefty) Ehlers you have,

It would be interesting to know how many left handed guitars Rob built in his career, I'm sure not many.

If I recall correctly rob mentioned mine was the first lefty he built. I saw one a couple years ago on reverb for sale that was from his Oregon City days. And another at a pawn shop in California that was built in Mexico, sometime around 2000-2002 or so. So there’s at least a few out there. I’ve been tempted to buy a righty and do the nut/string swap on a non cutaway. But they just don’t come up for sale too often. Glad you enjoyed the photos.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
I've long been a fan of Rob Ehlers' work and was very sad to hear of his passing. We represented him when I worked at TAMCO in Brighton and it was always a red letter day when a pair of Ehlers guitars arrived from New Mexico. They'd come over in wooden boxes reminiscent of some bandido's coffin from the outlaw days which we'd spend hours opening before releasing the guitars from their protective layer of Mexican newspapers advertising local luchador bouts and dust from the journey. It was really quite evocative, got me every time.

It's been years since I last played an Ehlers but that tone has stayed with me. Lovely instruments

Great story, thanks for sharing. [emoji3]
Old 09-27-2018, 01:50 PM

I purchased a used Ehlers a few years back. I'm pretty much a Martin guy and it sounds nothing like a Martin yet I like it a lot anyway.
European spruce and Brazilian rosewood.
Balanced evenly and records nicely.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by auggie242; 09-27-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:46 AM

PSA Robert Ehlers guitars on eBay

There’s a couple there if you search the makers name. Two real beauties. I wish I was right handed...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion