The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
After Jack wrote:

But when I see Steve I'll ask him. If he can remember 30 or 40 Mossman Triple O's going through the successive work stations at the Mossman factory assembly line, I'll stand corrected. But if that number is based solely on something Stu Mossman said, I'm much less inclined to believe it.

whm
Yeah, I'm getting the numbers second hand. Steve Mason was apparently pretty involved with Stu. I do believe Stu told Steve that, but that doesn't make it true.

Still would love to find one.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-01-2017, 11:16 PM

I'd love to find one, too, Jack. I'm headed down to KC here in a few days, partially to get some decent barbecue for a change, partially to renew my regional accent (it's kind of like the DMV - you've got to take a test, and they try to trick you with sample questions like: "When you make a purchase at a store, do you ask for A.)a "bag" or B.) a "sack?" and "The plural of you is A.) "Youse guys," or B. "Y'all...")

Anyhow, I'll swing by Lawrence because I always do, and I'll ask Steve about it then.

whm
Old 06-02-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I'd love to find one, too, Jack. I'm headed down to KC here in a few days, partially to get some decent barbecue for a change, partially to renew my regional accent (it's kind of like the DMV - you've got to take a test, and they try to trick you with sample questions like: "When you make a purchase at a store, do you ask for A.)a "bag" or B.) a "sack?" and "The plural of you is A.) "Youse guys," or B. "Y'all...")

Anyhow, I'll swing by Lawrence because I always do, and I'll ask Steve about it then.

whm
Hmm, growing up in Augusta, KS the answers would be: b) a sack and b) Y'all.

I was in KC about a month ago and got some Jack Stack BBQ. A little too refined for what I would really want, but it wasn't bad. Like Mexican food, I feel like the best BBQ comes from places where you don't want to see the health scores.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Hmm, growing up in Augusta, KS the answers would be: b) a sack and b) Y'all.

I was in KC about a month ago and got some Jack Stack BBQ. A little too refined for what I would really want, but it wasn't bad. Like Mexican food, I feel like the best BBQ comes from places where you don't want to see the health scores.

Jack
Jack Stack was my father's favorite barbecue place. At whichever location you visit, they're always good, clean restaurants, though the atmosphere in them is more like a steakhouse than a barbecue place, if you know what I mean.

My old standby is Gates & Sons, but it's a dynamic scene down there, and there are always new places worth trying.

whm
Old 06-04-2017, 03:57 PM

Default New Member

Hi! I'm a new member here, and the proud original owner of a Mossman Flint Hills that I bought at Alex Music on 48th Street in NYC way back when. I rarely ever play anymore, but I do Google Mossman every now and then, and that's how I stumbled across this forum. I used to play pretty decently but my callouses are long gone and rusty as I am, my Mossman is one of my prized possessions and sometimes I think I might take my guitar to a luthier for a sprucing up. That's why I was so glad to find this thread, and the names of Scott Baxendale and Steve Mason. I think the worst you can say about my Mossman is that there are some cracks in the finish below the bridge (and some more at the bottom front), and some light scratches in the middle of the back. Also, being the first owner of this Flint Hills, I can tell you it has never had the neck reset.

Anyway, I also signed up for a flickr account so I can show you my pride and joy and learn more about her.

Glad to be here!

Steve

Old 06-04-2017, 04:06 PM

Hi, Steve. Glad to have you with us. That's some beautiful Indian rosewood on that back.

whm
Old 06-04-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Archaeological/ lutherie layers.

Steve0: welcome.

It's cool to see the crew's number increase through SLM's early years. My '72 model has only five initial sets on the label.

My Mossman has been a blessing twice over. After forty years of ownership, I commissioned Charlie Hoffman to build for me something he liked and was "Not-a-Mossman." That turned out well too.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:20 AM

Default OM SIZE MOSSMAN GUITAR

Hello.....I'm new on this site.....most of the posts are older, but I saw some questions about OM/OOO sized Mossmans. I have an OM size in a Great Plains level of decoration. I have a letter from the factory stating that 4 were made, one used in the movie Bound for Glory. I have owned it since the late 70's and it was made in 1974. It has finish checking in the top . Brazilian back and sides....2 piece back with an inlay divider.....herringbone inlay around top and soundhole......looks just like the movie picture. I have had the neck reset as it was a VERY high action. I live in the Cincinnati area, if anyone is ever around here, let me know and you can fondle it, if you wish. When i bought it, I had a choice between a D-41 and this one......dunno????
Old 09-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnnanc View Post
.....When i bought it, I had a choice between a D-41 and this one......dunno????
Well, you can order a D-41 any day of the week, and find lots of them used. But it is pretty rare to run across a Mossman. I've only seen a couple ever, both dreads. To have one of only four made -- I think you chose well. But all that matters is that YOU are happy with the guitar.

And welcome!
Old 12-31-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Mossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
That's quite interesting. It means it would have been an early Mossman. All the Brazilian was destroyed in a fire in 1975. Another interesting note from Steve Mason is the Brazilian was bought from Martin and the backs were already glued up.
I, too, am from Augusta, and grew up visiting Stu at the factory, or he, and friends, would come to our house to play and talk shop. My dad did all of Stu's graphic artwork, and actually designed both logos for the company. He did all of the catalogs, and print art, and, in return, Stu would give my dad a guitar, or two, or four....lol. I now own the 2 Mossmans my dad owned when he died. A 1973 Flint Hills (73-508), and a 1979 Timber Creek (79-09, signed by only Stu and Chris F). It's great to read and hear stories of how the only guitars I've ever known are so meaningful and appreciated by so many. Thanks to Y'ALL, and SACK is what you put stuff in.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:28 PM

Default My Mossmans

Hello all, I love hearing about the great experiences and appreciation for Mossman guitars. My story is another "my dad was friends with Stu" stories, but my dad was Bob Lamb, and he actually designed the Mossman logos, and did all of Stu's graphic artwork over the years. In return, Stu gave my dad several guitars, but he only ended up keeping two. A 1973 Flint Hills, s/n 508, and a 1979 Timber Creek, s/n 09 (signed by only Stu and Chris Fisher). I loved going to the factory and visiting, and loved the times Stu would show up in Augusta to sit around, tell stories, play guitar, and otherwise make the house smell "funny". I am sharing my pics here along with a couple of the guitars my dad ended up making before he died. He learned the craft from Jeff Priest, another Mossman luthier, and only completed a few before he died. Only one, was branded with the "Ben Dover" logo, and is my favorite to play. These are Martin kits, and the only completed parts were tops and backs glued, and seamed. Everything else is done from scratch. Ben Dover comes from their house and shop being between Benton and Andover, so he jokingly said he lived in Bendover. I talked him into turning that into a persona named Ben Dover, who builds guitars. Sadly, he died suddenly in 2009, leaving a BUNCH of unopened kits, and half built bodies. I have picked it up, and have even completed a couple, but have no idea what I am doing. I just wanted to finish them as a way to connect with my dad, so I worked furiously for about a year, and then decided I would finish them "someday" when I learned more, and could finish them to his standard. I share here with you in hopes of sharing the appreciation for Mossman Guitar Company, and the fine instruments produced over the years. Might have to right click on the image icon, and select "open image in new tab" to get to the folder.

Thanks,

Dylan Lamb

Last edited by Lambo1969; 12-31-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Trying to get photos to load properly
Old 12-31-2019, 02:56 PM

Hi Dylan. Welcome to agf. Wonderful to read about your father and his Mossman connection. I am blessed to own three and they are hands down my favorite acoustics. I started an agf thread a couple years ago, The Beauty of SL Mossman Guitars. In it, I posted some Mossman catalogs that your father would have made. Here is a portion of what I have on the Winter Wheat model, your father did beautiful work.

Dan

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-31-2019, 03:45 PM

Dylan, I checked out your images, very nice collection. I took the liberty of posting one image of your two Mossman's for all to easily see.

Dan

Old 12-31-2019, 04:37 PM

Nice looking guitars. I don't know that I've ever seen one live, or heard one, but the thread title brought back memories of seeing Mossman ads in Frets magazine way back a long time. Was kind of hoping they really were being made again.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
"When you make a purchase at a store, do you ask for A.)a "bag" or B.) a "sack?"
C.) A "poke."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion