The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-15-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I hadn't checked out this thread recently, if I ever did, but I notice things about your decoration that are counter to the actual function of a guitar. Nearly everything about a standard guitar ala Martin/Gibson is actually there for a reason, it may be used for decoration, but that is not its purpose. Many modern builders appear to have zoomed past this knowledge without a second thought, but if the school you are contemplating is worth its salt, you will find out what the functions and purposes are, and I seriously recommend that you do not put your cart before the horse. Your guitars will be better for it if you take this advice.
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your response, most appreciated.
I'm assuming you are referring to the Rosette when you mention decoration?
You are right, I thought they were only there for decoration, especially when I see guitars that only have a sticker for a rosette. I never envisioned that it actually had a purpose.
If you have a web page that you can refer me to for more information, it would be most appreciated.
Thanks again.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-15-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
Yeah, I worked at a high end joiners and it took me about a year also, sanding solid stuff before they would let me on the expensive veneered stuff. I got to a point where I could get a sheen with 120 oxide paper.
I worked with one cabinetmaker who didn't allow me to use any power tools, even sanders, for at least 6 months. I even had to trim Formica by hand! That's not fun by the way...
Old 05-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Doesn't get much simpler or straightforward than this - and at the same time, it doesn't get much more elegant and refined than this. Tiny details, carefully executed by a skilled craftsman and experienced artist, are all you need. Too often decoration is used to distract from whats really important - you should try to get all the complexity and beauty into the sound the instrument makes.

As you can see, Bruce manages to do both, and makes it look easy - it isn't -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.9 KB, 333 views)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:17 PM

Resurrecting this old thread, as I've finally booked myself into a course.
It's hard to believe I started this thread about 2yrs ago, but it's taken this long for the stars to align for me.
Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, depending on how you look at things, I won't be doing a course with Chris Wynne this time around. He has a lot on his plate starting up guitar building schools overseas in France and Japan, and he will not be holding a class down here in Tassie next year.
While on holidays with my wife earlier this year, I took the opportunity to call into the Gold Coast Guitar Making School located in Miami, Queensland.
"Hang on" I hear you all say, it's at the other end of the country from Tasmania, yes, but when I first walked into the workshop and met Aaron, we hit it off so well, and the atmosphere is perfect, I just knew this would be where I undertake my first guitar build.
There will be time to do a build with Chris some time down the track, I'll make sure of it.

So, it's still a decent wait for me before I head to the course, which is in September, but now that I have placed the booking, everything is locked in and moving forward. Judging by how quickly this last year has gone, it will be here before I know it!

I've taken everything on board that has been mentioned here, and I'll be looking at a more subdued design for the rosette, with a what I hope is considered a good idea.
A previous student at the school produced this rosette, and I love the idea, but want to build on it further.
Using scraps of timber used in the build.

I want to use the same style to make a block to be inset as the 12th fret marker, and another block in the head stock as a design feature, maybe even an endgraft too
The last idea I had, and this would depend on the other class members, would be to use scraps from each of their guitars to make the rosette and markers, as long as it matches well with the rest of the guitar.

Size wise, I'm thinking OM/OOO sized, but I'm hoping for a guitar that has heaps of presence, and sound, even from the smaller body.
It will be a 14 fret, with cutaway, and I'll be installing a high end pickup during the build, maybe a LR Baggs Anthem.

Timber selections will be made closer to the course date, and maybe not until I actually get there, as no doubt seeing them in the flesh will help determine the final choice.

For those interested in seeing more of the course, please head here.
http://goldcoastguitarmakingschool.com.au/

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Zandit75; 05-09-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 PM

That looks excellent - nice start!
Have you considered a deep body OM/OOO?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-20-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
That looks excellent - nice start!
Have you considered a deep body OM/OOO?
No, actually I hadn't, and I'm assuming this would lead to a better bass response? More cubic space compared to a standard OM/OOO, more in line with a Dread?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
No, actually I hadn't, and I'm assuming this would lead to a better bass response? More cubic space compared to a standard OM/OOO, more in line with a Dread?
Nice idea, I played a friend's deep body 00 custom build earlier this year and the sound was phenomenal from such a small guitar.

Great that you are getting closer to doing the course Zandit. And if the Gold Coast course does not happen, Jim Cargill here in Melbourne runs courses too. He is very easy going and his own guitars sound great.

Col
Old 04-05-2018, 09:25 PM

Just thought I'd provide a little update for you all.
Spent Easter in Melbourne for the National Band Championships, as in addition to playing the guitar and singing, I play Bass Trombone for my local Brass Band. We competed well, and I was lucky enough to score 6th place in the Bass Trombone Solo section.

While there, I ducked into The Acoustic Centre in South Melbourne and had my first ever play of some Taylor and Martin guitars.

I fell in love with the new K24CE V-braced guitar sitting top dead center of that photo. Such a great sound!

Anyway, the reason for the visit was to trial some different sized guitars like the GA, GS and OM's.
It's a bit hard to determine sizes from measurements on a web page, so actually holding them and seeing what felt comfortable was really great. We don't have big music shops here in Tassie, certainly nothing on the scale of The Acoustic Centre! I'd visited this shop once before, but didn't have the nerve to try the guitars in the high end room then. This time was different!

With the course I'm doing later this year, I have the option of an OM or GS shape, and the GS I believe is a better fit for me,, not that there is much difference between all three. I wish we had the option of an Arm Bevel, because the one on the 914CE was extremely comfortable!

My next steps will be to secure my accommodation in the coming weeks, and my return flight. I got my flight to QLD cheap during one of the sales, but the return trip was not offered as well, so I'm just biding my time on that one. I also need to factor in the added luggage cost, and research if the local airlines have the same policies of carrying on the guitar.

Thanks for following.

Last edited by Zandit75; 08-14-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:03 PM

For those who have been following this thread, accommodation is locked in. I was very lucky to find a downstairs apartment through Airbnb that is only 800mtrs from the workshop for an extremely good price.
I still have to lock in return airfares, but getting to and from the airport will be nice and easy. There is a regular bus service(every 8mins!!) that runs 200mtrs away from the accommodation where I'll be staying, and for $10AUD per day, I can ride the buses all day along the Gold Coast. Much cheaper than Taxi's or Uber's.

Aaron Fenech, who is the luthier looking after me during the course has started up a youtube page for his own range of guitars.
If you're interested in checking them out, here's the link.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjP...pJKrSMUrrfda2w

He has a couple of videos on there showing off both Australian and International tone woods. There's also some videos of his regular model range.

I'm 4mths away from travelling to this course. Time has gone so quickly, and yet it still seems so far away!
In case you haven't guessed yet, I'm getting very excited!
Old 05-09-2018, 04:37 AM

Pity you have to wait 4 months. Still Qld in September will be pretty nice after a Tassie winter!

In my domestic flights with guitars around Oz I have almost never got my guitar into the plane as carry on. Not wishing to sound pessimistic but if you haven't flown with one before it might pay you to search the AGF on how to pack it securely and also check that you have enough insurance to cover it.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Pity you have to wait 4 months. Still Qld in September will be pretty nice after a Tassie winter!

In my domestic flights with guitars around Oz I have almost never got my guitar into the plane as carry on. Not wishing to sound pessimistic but if you haven't flown with one before it might pay you to search the AGF on how to pack it securely and also check that you have enough insurance to cover it.
Thanks for that Colin, it'll be a 3yr journey by the time September rolls around, so another 4mths is not going to kill me.......maybe!!

As for flying with the guitar, I'll definitely be looking into packing techniques, and insurance. I believe I already have some coverage with my house and contents insurance, but will need to double check that and up it a little just to be sure.

I'm not sure what the quality is of the guitar case that is part of my package, but there are upgrade options available for some extra cash. I certainly won't be leaving the case naked and crossing my fingers that the airline crew will take perfect care of my new baby!
Old 05-09-2018, 04:09 PM

Default Guitar building course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Thanks for that Colin, it'll be a 3yr journey by the time September rolls around, so another 4mths is not going to kill me.......maybe!!

As for flying with the guitar, I'll definitely be looking into packing techniques, and insurance. I believe I already have some coverage with my house and contents insurance, but will need to double check that and up it a little just to be sure.

I'm not sure what the quality is of the guitar case that is part of my package, but there are upgrade options available for some extra cash. I certainly won't be leaving the case naked and crossing my fingers that the airline crew will take perfect care of my new baby!

Hey Zandit. Congrats on finding a course! I did one in April and would recommend talking to the luthier about options to upgrade the case at a minimum if you’re going to fly with it. I paid the extra and my luthier ordered a hiscox pro 2 for me. I had a build thread linked below if your interested. Was lots of fun and the guitar exceeded my expectations:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=505071
Old 05-10-2018, 04:35 AM

Hey Zandit, not sure if it helps but here is an interesting video on selecting cases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTm0s07PArA

Col
Old 05-11-2018, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the video Colin, most appreciated. I'll get in contact with Aaron regarding his case options. As mentioned earlier, a case is included in my course fee, however he has plenty of options, so there may be an extra cost to get a really high quality case.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:00 AM

The more I look at photos from the course, the more I fall in love with Aussie Blackwood and after seeing this slimline acoustic built by one of Aaron's students, the more I want to build an all-blackwood guitar.

Last edited by Zandit75; 08-14-2018 at 10:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop