The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Default New Taylor Guitar Sound Check

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently bought a new Taylor 314ce. My story, and I am sticking to it , is that I was not really looking for another guitar. However, I was in BestBuy and wandered back to the music section to get some new cables and saw their guitar room. I was surprised by how nice it was so I went in and started playing a number of gorgeous high-end guitars from Martin, Guild, Taylor etc..... I first pulled a Taylor 814ce off the wall that was just gorgeous and then worked my way down to a 614 and a 414 and they all sounded great. Then I saw a 314ce and picked it up. Well from the first strum this guitar just spoke to me. It rang out like bell and just hooked me. I have never heard a guitar that had this specific sound that I was always looking even though I have played many Taylors and other Brands. They took another one out of a box and I played it but it was not even close to the sound of the floor model. Needless to say I walked out of the store with the floor model after they made me a wonderful deal on it. Kudos to BestBuy for giving me such a great deal. Amazing how the same model of guitar can sound so different and this is why it is so important to play before you buy.

With all that said, here is a sound check of the new 2010 expression system on this wonderful guitar. I posted this on Soundcloud as a wave file rather than YouTube so the sound quality did not get degraded. I am really stoked about this little 314ce and whoever built this particular guitar really has my appreciation.

This track has both the lead and rhythm guitar in it so you can hear the strumming and picking.

Let me know what you think,

Bud

Here is the link

http://soundcloud.com/budster/david-...e-wish-you-wer
Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Whippersnapper

Good stuff, Bud. Nice playing, and nice reverb.

Those 314's are great guitars. Taylor has good-sounding guitars at all levels of their production. I dig the plugged in sound, too. Some don't like the ES system, but for the ease of use I don't think it can be beat.

Thanks for sharing.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Well....what can i say...First, that song has some sentimental stuff for me and a good friend that past away from cancer....Second, That is my favorite song, bar none.......second would be "we catch the rainbow" "live"..
But, the guitar sounded amazing, you cant get a better sounding guit...than that...Taylor has done some great work these past few years on the 100 200 and 300 models....Simply amazing, and good job as always Bud...Solo

RIP "JG" the best friend a guy could have....sorry that tune brought back some feelings, i have tried to forget....but, its nice to hear "Wish you were here" again.......Solo

Mike Solo
Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Great guitar, great playing and great tune!! That tune fits the plugged in Taylor sound. I'd like to hear it with some external mics too. BTW I sang along to the song!! (although I'm partial to Brain Damage since I can play it!!!!)

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page

Last edited by Ranger1964; 03-11-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM

I enjoyed the sound of the guitar. What are you using for the gutiar amplification? I had my case opened all evening playing off and on. I pulled the 814 out and started playing along with you.

It may be my computer speakers, but I was getting some clipping along the way after you started singing. It was only in a couple of places though. Again thanks as I felt the urge to get the Taylor out one more time tonight .
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM

Very Nice!!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Budster!!! Great song, great sound. Glad you found a sweetie. As I've documented on this forum, I've wrestled quite a bit with my 414 CE, but finally got it tweaked just right. I'm happy you found "the one" right off the rack! That's very cool.

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

So you're telling me there's a chance....yyyyYYEEEAAAH!! ~Lloyd Christmas
Old 03-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Kyle, One thing I really like about the ES system is that you can turn the other sensors off and on and just use the one under the neck. This give a totaly different sound that works great with some songs.

Bud
Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Solo, As you said, music sure can bring out and express a lot of feelings. Glad you enjoyed this.

Bud
Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Ranger, Brain damage, that is the story of my life :-) Would enjoy hearing you peform that song.

Bud
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM

Tom, I plugged directly into the Tascam DP-008 when I recorded this. As you said this is a great two guitar tune. You can do some very fun lead improvisations for this song. Would love to hear your 814 !

Bud
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM

EDDOG, Thanks for checking this out.

Bud
Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Tony, This specific guitar just really sang to me and I am pretty stoked playing it. I lowered that action just a little yesterday and it plays even sweeter.

Bud
Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 AM
AGF Administrator

I recently owned a 314ce and it's a wonderful guitar. The ES is nice, but I prefer the sound of it when just plain mic'd. Good recording.

Last edited by Jeremy; 03-11-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:54 PM

Frail, I must admit I also prefer it mic'd but for some songs it just fits better plugged in to get that clarity. Thanks for checking this out.

Bud

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell