The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-17-2005, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo
"But that said, I could record a guitar part, and then with simple wav editing....cut and paste the same riff into many different parts of the song, for example. That could easily explain the fact that there seems to be little if any difference in some of the riffs.

Yes Utah, I addressed that point in my prior post, but as you say, who knows. Over and out on this thread.
Rick
yea...somehow I missed that part where you basically said the same thing. sorry bout that.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=utah]When I use the word clinical to describe the recording It means that the recording is technically sound but.....sterile. It's missing the kinds of things that give the recording a more human touch. It's not dirty enough. Not loose enough. It's perhaps too mechanical sounding.

i agree with your description. i feel the same way. i personally want the reality of live musicians doing all the playing on a recording. multitracking is neat even for a solo acoustic guitar player because you can put harmony tracks, bass or lead guitar tracks down to add to the fullness of the recording, but you are still playing and singing all the parts but at different times,since you couldn't possibly sing harmony and lead vocal at the same time.
i have a guitar partner who i've played with for a long time and we have started some basic recording. one of the goals we want to keep is keeping the recording as close to the live performance as possible.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:46 PM

I try to keep my stuff sounding live as well.

I mostly do all the playing on my own recordings, and there's a lot of muliti-tracking involved. However, I tend to play only one or two takes per track. Unless the errors are really glaring, I'll leave them in to give the recordings a live-ish feel. Sometimes I mix loops in to the song structures, but even then....the songs will still be 90% played live in a multi-track fashion.

I actually want the recordings to sound as though they are being played live in the studio by a group of musicians....and not just one guy doing a series of multi-track layers. The flaws that I leave in, as well as some other things that I do in the mixing stage, contribute to that live-ish feel that I'm striving for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell