The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 03:44 PM

Default Martin For Gibson Players - D-18 Reimagined

Let me start by saying that Gibson has been my go-to brand for acoustics. I have been down to one acoustic fo a little while now - a Gibson Southern Jumbo TV. I have been looking to add a second guitar and naturally I have been looking at Hummingbirds and Advanced Jumbos.

I found an AJ that sounded good, but I didn’t like the neck. I found a really nice Hummingbird, but it was a bit hifi sounding and mid-scooped. At one time I had a standard J-45 and J-15, but those were replaced with the Southern Jumbo True Vintage. The SJTV sounds and plays just like a great guitar should, at least to my ears and fingers.

I have to admit I was becoming a little discouraged and decided to look outside of the Gibson family for something I may like. Anyway, I somehow wound up playing a 2017 Martin D-18 “Reimagined” and was quite taken with it. The tone is very close to my SJTV. The mids are there, just a little smoother. There is a little more bottom end (not boomy) than my SJTV. The neck, the nut and the string spacing is just right. I can’t believe how good this plain Jane guitar sounds. I will definitely go try a new D-28 just to see what that’s about - should be fun!

I have heard it said many times before that the Gibson Advanced Jumbo is the Gibson for Martin folks. I think the reimagined D-18 is the Martin for Gibson folks.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 PM

I play a Gibson SJ too. My favorite Martin is the D18 Golden Era. I don't think its "like" my SJ, but maybe it has some Gibson mojo to it... whatever it is I do love the Martin D-18 GE and will have one someday. Oh, it has the best neck of any guitar ever! The perfect deep modified-V, better than Gibson's modified-V. IIRC the D18GE modified-V is a bit more U-shaped with the V on the back being a bit more flat, but with steeper sides than the Gibson's modified-V. It fills the hand and still allows you to reach with fingers or the thumb IMHO. Good luck!

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
I have heard it said many times before that the Gibson Advanced Jumbo is the Gibson for Martin folks. I think the reimagined D-18 is the Martin for Gibson folks.
I haven’t had the pleasure of playing a SJ. But there was a time when I owned both a J-45 and a reimagined D-18. Played them both daily. To my ear they were very different guitars. Both wonderful in their own way...but I fairly soon sold the D-18 and kept the J-45 as my hog guitar. The D-18 certainly wasn’t the Martin for this Gibson folk.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I haven’t had the pleasure of playing a SJ. But there was a time when I owned both a J-45 and a reimagined D-18. Played them both daily. To my ear they were very different guitars. Both wonderful in their own way...but I fairly soon sold the D-18 and kept the J-45 as my hog guitar. The D-18 certainly wasn’t the Martin for this Gibson folk.
Hey Rev - I noticed you have a D41. Are you finding the Martin rosewood dred a good compliment to your J-45? Also, where do you use the D41 where you wouldn’t use the J-45?
Old 09-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default Martin For Gibson Players - D-18 Reimagined

Quote:
Hey Rev - I noticed you have a D41. Are you finding the Martin rosewood dred a good compliment to your J-45? Also, where do you use the D41 where you wouldn’t use the J-45?

Yep, for me it’s the perfect complimentary duo. I cycled through many guitars from various manufacturers and different sizes before arriving at this perfect pair. I don’t gig. So I don’t really “use” one or the other for specific musical tasks. I just grab the D-41 when I want those lush rosewood overtones. And grab the J-45 when I want that hog warmth and quick decay. [emoji3]

Last edited by Rev Roy; 09-24-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I'm with Rev Roy here. D18 / J45... completely different but in a good way to me.
I find the "re-imagined" D18 to be a very different sounding guitar depending on the strings I use, sort of a chameleon.
The J45 is a J45 no matter what strings are on it. It definitely has a "signature" voice.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-24-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Yep, for me it’s the perfect complimentary duo. I cycled through many guitars from various manufacturers and different sizes before arriving at this perfect pair. I don’t gig. So I don’t really “use” one or the other for specific musical task. I just grab the D-41 when I want those lush rosewood overtones. And grab the J-45 when I want that hog warmth and quick decay.

Awesome pic!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:39 PM

I hear what you guys are saying, but my SJTV does not really sound like a J-45 Standard.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

My J50, while a standard, sounds exactly like a southern Jumbo tv I sold a few years back. Love them both.

Anyways, I got a D18 last year.

God, I love both these guitars. Sitka and mahogany... yep.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM

I played a redesigned D-18 a couple of years ago that just blew me away. I should have bought it but I passed. Although the other D-18's I have tried since sound great, nothing compared to that one.The D-18 is a killer guitar though. To me it's got that Martin tone but with a more responsive/Taylor style of projection.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:47 PM

Didn't most of Martin's changes with the re-imagined series put them closer to what Gibson had been doing for some time? The wider nut, the scalloped bracing on all models, and so on.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
I think the reimagined D-18 is the Martin for Gibson folks.
Then what was the CEO-8?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Then what was the CEO-8?

Good point!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
Didn't most of Martin's changes with the re-imagined series put them closer to what Gibson had been doing for some time? The wider nut, the scalloped bracing on all models, and so on.
Well, as far as the nut goes...close but no cigar. Martin spread from a standard 1 11/16” to 1 3/4”. A significant jump. Gibson remains in the middle with a 1.725” nut. I swap back and forth between my J-45 and reimagined D-41 and don’t even notice the .025” nut difference... for others, though, it’s a big deal.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:04 PM

Maybe because it isn't really there... I have five Gibson acoustics, and only one of them is actually a 1.725". I measure them with digital calipers. One of them, my J-35, is pretty much exactly 1.75" and the others are around 1.74" or so.

Anyway, I get your point, but I was just saying that Martin was heading more towards Gibsons than not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion