The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Recording With A Sure Beta 87A Mic

I did not know that I could record both my guitar and vocals with this mic at the same time. I placed the mic a little over a foot in front of the guitar directly in front of the sound hole, and angled it upward toward my mouth. I may have to slightly adjust the angle more toward the guitar, because it picked my voice up a little too loud compared to the guitar, but this thing does a great job for recording.

Here is a sample. Its not even a song yet... It's just something I'm still kicking around, but what the heack...

http://home.comcast.net/~bcalvanese/...a_87a_test.mp3

Let me know what you all think, and any pointers would be helpfull too...
Old 03-25-2007, 10:22 AM

Nice Bob,

Your voice sounds like a combination of Mac Davis and Paul Williams. Nice guitar work as well.

Regards, Jack
Old 03-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Really good Bob. You've gotten quite a bit more "flow" in your guitar playing. That new guitar sounds excellent. If I had your voice I'd be one of the guest stars on American Idol! Get your butt in front of the open mic!

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 AM

What was the rest of the recording chain? Any compression? Any level boosting or mastering in general?

Sounds great!

Taylor 314ce-LTD
Taylor 514ce
Alvarez Yairi DY-95
Seagull S6
Old 03-25-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
What was the rest of the recording chain? Any compression? Any level boosting or mastering in general?

Sounds great!
Thank you danny.

My chain is...

Sure Beta 87A plugged into my Mackie DFX-12 mixer, everything set flat on the mixer w/small room reverb added (at the mixer), mixer outputs going into my Presonus Firebox inputs. Recorded with Adobe Audition 2.0. I used no effects in Audition, and only normalized it to get the max amplitude.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge199 View Post
Nice Bob,

Your voice sounds like a combination of Mac Davis and Paul Williams. Nice guitar work as well.

Regards, Jack
Thank you Jack.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Really good Bob. You've gotten quite a bit more "flow" in your guitar playing. That new guitar sounds excellent. If I had your voice I'd be one of the guest stars on American Idol! Get your butt in front of the open mic!
Thanks Barry. I will get up there one night. I have actually been playing and singing in front of some of the other performers (out in the lobby), so I can get used to singing in front of other people a little...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell