The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2022, 12:04 PM

Default Need Opinions: H&D T-0014 & 00-SP, or 00-SP & Larger Guitar?

Hi all, first post on the general discussion forum here!

Hoping to get some thoughts and opinions on two options - I have a custom H&D T-0014 with an Italian top and Brazilian B&S that is phenomenal, and am thinking to order a 00-SP soon as I'm quite smitten with it based on all of the demos I've heard (I haven't had the chance to play one yet but I will soon). Barring the obvious 12 vs 14 fret difference, are the guitars different enough in tonal characteristics, playability, etc to warrant owning both? Or would it make more sense to choose one or the other?

The second option - I have the opportunity to trade the T-0014 for a gorgeous Martin CS 0000 that has really caught my attention but I don't have the chance to play as it's out of state, I'm only going off of video demos. I imagine the Martin will handle things like strumming and flat picking better as it's a standard scale and a larger body (The H&D can take a flat pick but tends to get a little boxy when strummed harder). So instead of having both the T-0014 and the 00-SP, would it make more sense to have the Martin and the 00-SP, thus covering what I imagine would be more tonal and playing ground/applications between the two guitars?

Scenario #2 makes more logical sense to me, I guess I'm just having a hard time deciding as I'm afraid I'll regret sending this one-of-a-kind T-0014 away; I do love the guitar. I understand much of this is highly subjective, but I'm still interested in hearing opinions and what you might do if faced with a similar scenario.

Last edited by ptipleaa; 01-11-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:13 PM

I would be inclined toward option three:

Keep the lovely guitar that you own and pair it (rather than the potential 12 fret 00) with a larger instrument.

My first inclination would be toward something small jumbo-ish if you’re looking for a strumming counterpart. Iris AB, SCGC F, Collings SJ or C100, or any of a half dozen other excellent candidates.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:40 PM

"I have a custom H&D T-0014 with an Italian top and Brazilian B&S that is phenomenal."

Never - EVER - sell a guitar that you know from personal experience is phenomenal for something you've only heard online.

Keep the T-0014 and either add the 00-SP or a large body guitar to compliment. I'd go with the larger body guitar, something in mahogany back and sides (or even all mahogany) to give you a loud, warm, dry guitar to add a different flavor to the Brazilian H&D.

If you can handle the size, the Martin D-1 Authentic is about as loud as it gets. I had an all-mahogany version that was quite special. FWIW, of the 6-or-so 00 12 frets guitars I've owned, the 00-SP was my least favorite. It wasn't bad, it was just too similar to the Martin 00-28VS I had at the time.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the input, both good suggestions.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I'm with Methos....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
00 12 fret, 00-sp, huss & dalton, martin custom shop, t00-14 acoustic