The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 PM

Default Octave pedals for acoustic guitar

Does any one here have experience with using Octave Pedals? I like the Pitchfork but after reading positive and negative reviews of the Pitchfork, the SubNUp, and the POG, I'm not sure what to go with. There are a few examples on youtube with acoustic guitars but not many.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
Does any one here have experience with using Octave Pedals? I like the Pitchfork but after reading positive and negative reviews of the Pitchfork, the SubNUp, and the POG, I'm not sure what to go with. There are a few examples on youtube with acoustic guitars but not many.
I have used both the POG and the Luminary by walrus audio and have been very happy. Both sound great when used sparingly.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:15 PM

I have owned the Pitchfork and the SubNUp mini. I returned the SubNUp after I did some tests and determined it had a lot more latency than the pitchfork. I would love to get my hands on a POG someday. I'm sure its quite similar to the pitchfork (both EHX) but I still can't help but wonder.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 01-05-2019, 11:54 PM

I like my PitchFork. My daughter uses hers with violin, and she likes hers as well.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:56 AM

I use the Boss OC3, very popular with modern fingerstyle players.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 01-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Default POG2

My POG2 arrived in the mail today! I'm dying to get home and try it out!
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 01-10-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
I use the Boss OC3, very popular with modern fingerstyle players.
I know that with the Boss OC3, you can use it in poliphonic mode where you can set a top pitch for the octave doubling. This let's you play fingerstyle and have it double just the bass notes. Will any other octave pedals do this?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I know that with the Boss OC3, you can use it in poliphonic mode where you can set a top pitch for the octave doubling. This let's you play fingerstyle and have it double just the bass notes. Will any other octave pedals do this?
Yes, that's it, really cool if you are playing chords its like having a bass player
accompany you. I don't know of any other pedals that do it, everyone I can think of uses an OC3.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 01-10-2019, 03:44 PM

I can’t think of any other pedal than the OC-3 when it comes to this kind of polyphonic mode. I think this mode on the OC-3 is actually more like a shelving EQ that cuts the highs of the wet signal.
Other than that I like the analog-sounding tone of it.
I’ve tried the TC Sub’n’up with two custom made single string pickups for the low E and A string to achieve a similar effect. The Sub’n’up is more high fidelity sounding to me. But very accurate, the tracking is amazing!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM

I use a POG nano on my (primarily electric) large pedal board. The POG tracks very well. The salesmen at Sam Ash said of all the octave pedals they stock, it tracks the best. I've found that to be true as long as you're only using a single octave. With both upper and lower engaged, it does not track so well.

If you're after something to use in a looping scenario to lay down a bass line, the Pog does that extremely well.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:36 PM

I have the OC3 which I got to add a doubled bass an octave down for the low notes. I’ve played with it practicing but never used it live because it always sounds a little sloppy to me. As much as I try to set the cutoff note to a reasonable split, there are always bass notes above it and chord tones below it. Plus, I notice a little drop in fidelity even when it is in bypass. It’s way cool...but I don’t like it enough to use it.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I have the OC3 which I got to add a doubled bass an octave down for the low notes. I’ve played with it practicing but never used it live because it always sounds a little sloppy to me. As much as I try to set the cutoff note to a reasonable split, there are always bass notes above it and chord tones below it. Plus, I notice a little drop in fidelity even when it is in bypass. It’s way cool...but I don’t like it enough to use it.
Yeah, I had similar issues. It always had an odd glitchy sound and often had tracking issues. I believe a lot of it has to do with what kind of pickup you are using (I think it works best with a mag pickup). Some folks seems to use it effectively in live performance. I chose to go the route of have a small 2-string pickup under the E and A strings and running that into the Pitchfork pedal.

Petteri Sariola uses the OC-3 and has a HUGE live sound. He used to run a SD Magmic into it (with no mic blended in) and achieved very good results. Now I believe he is using a Dimarzio mag. He uses a compressor and a rather extreme EQ curve to get it to sound as good as it does. Here is a clip where it is very audible. The bass comes in around :30.

Here is his rig...

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Last edited by wood nacho; 01-10-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Boss OC3 for me
Old 01-11-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
As much as I try to set the cutoff note to a reasonable split, there are always bass notes above it and chord tones below it. Plus, I notice a little drop in fidelity even when it is in bypass. It’s way cool...but I don’t like it enough to use it.
What pick up are you running through it? Just a magnetic, yes?

Tommy Emmanuel
Old 01-11-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
Petteri Sariola uses the OC-3 and has a HUGE live sound.
Yes excellent player, incredible sound. He was one of the players I had in mind above.

Tommy Emmanuel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification