The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-21-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Recent Amazon Prices

I have been noticing that a lot of items on Amazon are listing for prices far above what I can buy at local brick and mortar stores. I can still find an occasional great price on something but at the present time, it seems that the vendors on Amazon seem to be fishing deep for the "trophy catch" Anyone else notice this?
Old 09-21-2021, 01:12 PM

Haven't noticed, but I search only sold by and shipped by Amazon...I Don't trust third party vendors

Want little, and you shall have all you need.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
I have been noticing that a lot of items on Amazon are listing for prices far above what I can buy at local brick and mortar stores. I can still find an occasional great price on something but at the present time, it seems that the vendors on Amazon seem to be fishing deep for the "trophy catch" Anyone else notice this?
I haven't noticed this. Keep in mind that if you're buying from a 3rd party vendor then they must have purchased it somewhere else and then there's the markup for profit that accompanies any capitalistic society.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:02 PM

I have only noticed that with 3rd party sellers or cases where poor product availability has moved up prices to list price or manufacturers not competing with their reseller partners.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. View Post
Haven't noticed, but I search only sold by and shipped by Amazon...I Don't trust third party vendors
This is my strategy, as well. I've had poor luck with third party vendors. I haven't noticed prices issues with Amazon items, but third party items are frequently crazy.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:28 PM

I've noticed that an item like a name brand dog food is the same price on Amazon as it is at a store like PetSmart. I still use Amazon for the convenience of having the item shipped to my door.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 09-21-2021, 02:57 PM
Guest 928

I rarely go in to town and have really enjoyed the convenience of home delivery. I think I generally get a better price through Amazon but I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the service. I don't use 3rd parties.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

There is a very good article published in The Atlantic today that provides some insight. It’s titled: Americans Have No Idea What the Supply Chain Really Is
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ipping/620147/
Old 09-21-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Yup, that’s the way to go imho as well.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:22 PM

Conversely, if it is a third party, you can sometimes go to their page and get a slight discount. Not huge but sometimes enough.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I’ve seen this. Amazon has gone from a pricing competitive model and not charging sales tax for an additional advantage to one of convenience and raising prices (and settling with the government agencies to collect sales taxes).

They are competing on convenience and selection. Not price. They were hoping you wouldn’t notice.

I recently bought a camera bag from Best Buy for $25 less than Amazon and have found other brick and mortar stores the same or cheaper when looking for things. Sams Club beats them too on price. Selection? Usually better at Amazon.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Locally, the lightning fast shipping seems to have diminished as well. Friends and neighbors in my area have noticed the same.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:52 AM

I was looking at the Grace Felix on Amazon a while back to see what they had. Music store price for same was around $1000. Amazon (3rd party) price? $3600! I suspect they sold exactly 0 at that price but it shows that anyone can charge any amount for anything on Amazon. I only buy near impossible to find locally items on Amazon (and only “sold by” Amazon).
Old 09-22-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I'm the same way. As long as it is sold/shipped by Amazon or "fulfilled by Amazon".

I haven't noticed Amazon prices increasing more than the norm except for their electric guitar branded pedals went up a lot in the past month.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I use Amazon subscriptions for pet supplies. One of my monthly subscription items just jumped from $10.44 to $15.44 in a month. This is an Amazon Basics product, so it is sold and fulfilled by Amazon. Unfortunately, none of the competitor products is as affordable. Looks like they are bumping up their price to just below competitors so as not to lose the sale but still reaping a 50% increase!

Usually I only purchase Amazon fulfilled products, mostly because if there is a return needed you have much fewer headaches getting a return authorization and in shipping it back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic