The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-21-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Thanks, Folks! The Fillmore is looking pretty good. Please Keep The Comments Coming!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-22-2021, 01:58 AM

My experience was with Dual Rectifiers in the early to mid 2000's with PRS or Ibanez guitars tuned to dropped C. I don't hold that against Mesa, Ibanez, or PRS, but I sometimes get flashbacks.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I bought an original Express 5:25 with a 12" speaker and have been impressed with the build quality. Mesas are NOT Fenders and aren't simple six-knob amps. You'll have to drive 'em. I was also quite impressed by the details: Mesa include a nice folio with the manual and all the papers in it and included a nice heavy-duty padded cover as well. The details speak of a pride in their product. I wrote up a review, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-22-2021, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Honestly I wish I would have Kept it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-27-2021, 05:16 PM

The book on MESAs is that they'll do all sorts of wonderful things, but you have to put the time and energy in to really understand them to get the most out of them. They are not, generally, the most plug-and-play amps out there.

This is most true of the Mark V, obviously.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I have a Mesa Subway Rocket from the 90’s, and it’s a small 20w combo amp with a 10” speaker. It has great cleans, and two overdrive/distortion channels that sound great. This amp can do everything from classic rock to the heaviest metal. My only complaint is that at just 20 watts, it doesn’t have much headroom, so it can be hard to get a loud clean tone without breakup.
I used one of those back in the late 90's, too. Used a 1x12" extension with it as my main amp for years.

There's an old saying: There are watts, and then there are "Boogie watts".

Boogie watts be better!
Old 09-27-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
The book on MESAs is that they'll do all sorts of wonderful things, but you have to put the time and energy in to really understand them to get the most out of them. They are not, generally, the most plug-and-play amps out there.

This is most true of the Mark V, obviously.
A black face Fender X Reverb amp is so easy to use. I never got a tone I liked with the one Mesa I owned. Too many knobs??? Much easier to add a Tube Screamer or an attenuator to a Fender if you need break up at low volume and/or high gain.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-27-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
I used one of those back in the late 90's, too. Used a 1x12" extension with it as my main amp for years.

There's an old saying: There are watts, and then there are "Boogie watts".

Boogie watts be better!

Yes I agree! Love this little amp.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
A black face Fender X Reverb amp is so easy to use. I never got a tone I liked with the one Mesa I owned. Too many knobs??? Much easier to add a Tube Screamer or an attenuator to a Fender if you need break up at low volume and/or high gain.
Yeah, I'm learned that I don't really want anything where I have to spend a lot of time tweaking everything to get it right. I want to plug in, set a level of gain, and go.

Mesas might be right for some people, but not me.

Also, don't they have a reputation for not really sounding great unless they're cranked, although I don't know if that applies to the Filmore line. I know the guy I jam with who has a Mesa really needs to dial it up to ear-bleeding volumes for it to sing.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Also, don't they have a reputation for not really sounding great unless they're cranked, although I don't know if that applies to the Filmore line. I know the guy I jam with who has a Mesa really needs to dial it up to ear-bleeding volumes for it to sing.
I'll say that's categorically untrue of Mesas. Marshalls maybe, but Mesas do not sound best with everything on 11. Some do sound better when louder but I've never had a problem getting good times at reasonable volumes. No more than any other tube amp.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm learned that I don't really want anything where I have to spend a lot of time tweaking everything to get it right. I want to plug in, set a level of gain, and go.

Mesas might be right for some people, but not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I'll say that's categorically untrue of Mesas. Marshalls maybe, but Mesas do not sound best with everything on 11. Some do sound better when louder but I've never had a problem getting good times at reasonable volumes. No more than any other tube amp.
Well, it’s true in the sense that Mesas do have this reputation. It’s just that the reputation is unfounded. I have been using a Fender Player Plus Nashville Telecaster and a Mesa Boogie Mark V to dial in Jerry Garcia alligator tones, and it sounds great at less than ear splitting volume, although admittedly it took a little work to dial in, it’s not as easy as just plugging a Strat into a cranked Twin.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post

My Mesa gets most of its distorted tone from the pre amp. So nothing changes much if I just add volume. The overdriven tone on the clean channel gets really sweet if you have the gain at around 6 and the master past 7 or so. Add a clean boost, and you’re in blues heaven.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:59 AM

I played through a Boogie Mark IV for a few years back in the late 90's. Very strong, powerful amp, and you wanted to be strong too. It weighed 80lbs.

Used it in R&B and New Country bands. Very good for over driven solo's and crunchy "Stones" rhythm playing, but could never quite find the spaciousness of a Fender amp's clean sound.

I eventually moved on to a Fender Deluxe Reverb which sounded exactly like what I was missing, but lacked headroom. A 67 Blackface Vibrolux came along, and I am happy with it to this day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars