The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-05-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
I have played several Cordoba models, including very expensive ones and I was not impressed with any of them.
Best value in a Classical guitar is a used Yairi. I have a CY-120 which sounds much better than any Classical guitar I have played under $5000.
You will probably have to pay a bit more than $500 for a Yairi but they are worth it. Just ask Steve Hackett, of Genesis, he has a CY-118.
The models to look for are CY-118, CY-120, CY-125, CY-130 and CY-140.
These guitars are all hand built, and designed by Kazuo Yairi. Built under his supervision.
Ok thanks.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssynhorst View Post
I would never buy a new classical guitar. Well aged ones sound so much better. Back in the 1960s and 70s many good ones came out of Japan and a few good ones out of Korea. The Yairi's mentioned above are the most famous but there are others from only a few makers but imported under many distributor names.

Most were well made but made of laminated woods. A few were made with solid woods. And some good ones were made with solid rosewood back and sides and an early version of the double top method now used in the most costly concert quality guitars made in the US and Europe.

I have one of these in East Indian rosewood and sitka spruce in pristine condition with the finest marquetry I have seen. I got it on ebay from a thrift store in Idaho Falls.

Another has solid Brazilian Rosewood back and sides and a cedar top. It sounds really good after some restoration of the hardware; the wood was fine. It came on ebay from Seattle among a group of lesser guitars. This one came from Korea which mostly produced lower quality but a few fine ones were imported by a distributor in Seattle. I also have a fine vintage steel string guitar from Korea. A clue is to check those with good quality hard shell cases, usually used on higher grade guitars.

You need to do some careful searching on line but you can find many vintage classical guitars to consider on the used market. Classical strings put much less stress on the instruments than steel strings do, and all of them I have examined are in OK condition for the wood. Some hardware adjustment may be needed but that is true of many brand new guitars. Most I have seen were playable as-is. Happy hunting. - Stevo
Good info thanks.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_B View Post
None for me so far. Even some classical guitars from $3K to $5K.

So one day I took my Cordoba C5 and experimented. I thin down the the bridge (wings) and add a side port. I was impressed with the sound.

Below clip is the side port sound sample.

https://youtu.be/I4CXYEQPEv8

Cool sound modification.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Yama makes a good point, the Yairi guitars are hard to beat and, as he says, will probably cost more than your price point. But if you're looking for a high quality instrument then a little extra money and time would be good expenditures.
Cool, I will look into that.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:08 PM

a friend has one of these....they are exquisite. The DS is about $375. thinking of getting one myself.

https://guitarrasacusticas.com.mx/
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 09-09-2021, 07:26 AM

Another great under the radar classical is La Mancha. They were made in Spain and were very nice, all solid wood guitars. There is a company making new guitars under that name but I don't know anything about them.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 09-18-2021, 10:23 AM

I really like my lucero 150 sce in this price range. Solid top.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
a friend has one of these....they are exquisite. The DS is about $375. thinking of getting one myself.

https://guitarrasacusticas.com.mx/
Wow those look really interesting. My Spanish is not so great... did you friend order direct from the manufacturer?
Old 10-02-2021, 11:15 AM

Take a look at a Russian brand called DOFF,
all models are made of solid woods!
I'm in the UK and took a chance and ordered one, it just needed setting up properly, so I took it to my local Luthier and its now incredible! It has solid Maple top, and all solid back and sides, it was around £300! Plus the £100 Luthier fee. I absolutely love it, put it this way, my Godin which was 3 times the price, is currently covered in dust!
Old 10-06-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefinger View Post
Take a look at a Russian brand called DOFF,
all models are made of solid woods!
I'm in the UK and took a chance and ordered one, it just needed setting up properly, so I took it to my local Luthier and its now incredible! It has solid Maple top, and all solid back and sides, it was around £300! Plus the £100 Luthier fee. I absolutely love it, put it this way, my Godin which was 3 times the price, is currently covered in dust!
Nothing better than a Handmade Cordoba C5CE. Stunning recording and a Real Player!.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical