The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-21-2021, 05:50 PM

Default Composite Acoustics Cargo vs Journey OF660

I scored a Cargo for an absolutely killer price and waited for the excitement to die down a little bit. After a week it is still just amazing. I have had the 660 for a while and it just sits there since I don't play it. The 660 hates uncapoed open chords, the strings are all in tune, but the fretted vs open strings just don't mesh for some reason. The Cargo doesn't have that issue. And one thing I hadn't noticed about the 660 until I played the Cargo is that the 660's body is entirely too thick; it seems like the sound gets lost inside the body before it escapes the soundhole. The Cargo is very thin but sounds louder and more direct than the 660. The Cargo is also more articulate and bassier on the lows (which I prefer.) I think the 660's hold the top spot for being the ultimate travel guitar.
MLJ Parlor #27 / Eastman E2-CD / Silvertone 604 / Egmond 60's parlor / Journey OF660 / Martin Custom D / Santa Cruz D Pre War / Doff Classical / Takamine 12

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-31-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:39 AM

My Cargo didn't come at a killer price, and in fact it was significantly lowered soon after my purchase...but I have no regrets. I was intrigued with the idea of carbon and there were a couple Rainsongs and a Cargo or two in stock at Elderly. So I contrived a trip to Lansing. The Cargo, at first glance, seemed like a toy guitar and I almost didn't even try it. But I was pretty much sold on the first chord. Remarkably comfortable and significant improvement over the GS Mini that got me started on small body/short scale instruments.

Now the Cargo gets far less play, as the X7 is yet another improvement...
Old 08-24-2021, 09:16 AM
Guest 928

Jim;

The Cargo was a gateway cf guitar for a lot of players. My experience was similar to yours--it looked like a toy, but played and sounded like a genuine guitar.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
My Cargo didn't come at a killer price, and in fact it was significantly lowered soon after my purchase...but I have no regrets. I was intrigued with the idea of carbon and there were a couple Rainsongs and a Cargo or two in stock at Elderly. So I contrived a trip to Lansing. The Cargo, at first glance, seemed like a toy guitar and I almost didn't even try it. But I was pretty much sold on the first chord. Remarkably comfortable and significant improvement over the GS Mini that got me started on small body/short scale instruments.

Now the Cargo gets far less play, as the X7 is yet another improvement...
When I was first looking at CF, Emerald was the stand out design wise, but on recordings they sound too open and "reverby". Perhaps the X7's smaller body effectively cuts down on that openness because of the small body, similar to the Cargo?
MLJ Parlor #27 / Eastman E2-CD / Silvertone 604 / Egmond 60's parlor / Journey OF660 / Martin Custom D / Santa Cruz D Pre War / Doff Classical / Takamine 12
Old 08-24-2021, 08:02 PM

Also, the killer price I paid was $400, well 425 with some cool late 80s to 90s Hit Parader magazines.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarsquatch View Post
Also, the killer price I paid was $400, well 425 with some cool late 80s to 90s Hit Parader magazines.
That is indeed a killer price! Well done
Old 08-29-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarsquatch View Post
When I was first looking at CF, Emerald was the stand out design wise, but on recordings they sound too open and "reverby". Perhaps the X7's smaller body effectively cuts down on that openness because of the small body, similar to the Cargo?
Descriptions of guitar sounds are always a bit fraught. If you have played GS Mini and Cargo, l hear the Cargo as being, if only a bit, 'bigger' than the Mini (I compared them at the store, since I had already sold my Mini) and the X7 'richer' by quite a margin than the Cargo (still have and plan to keep both). I don't know about the 'reverbiness' of larger Emeralds but the X7 is quite a joy.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:39 PM

I wouldn't have sold my cargo unfortunately I had to check it on some airlines (even after trying to smuggle in on) in Asia and the fees added up REAL fast.

I do prefer the OF600 bevel for feel ....the edge on the bout always bothered me on the cargo
Old 08-31-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound View Post
I wouldn't have sold my cargo unfortunately I had to check it on some airlines (even after trying to smuggle in on) in Asia and the fees added up REAL fast.

I do prefer the OF600 bevel for feel ....the edge on the bout always bothered me on the cargo
I agree the bevels on the OF660 are superior. I'm looking at armrests to put one on the Cargo.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

You got it for a real good price.

I’ve owned an ‘08 Cargo RT (Road tough finish) since new as one of the very early Cargoes. Paid $750 for it. It replaced a Baby Taylor that got destroyed while I was on vacation in Florida. I’ve always been smitten with the little bugger. It’s the little guitar that could! I’ve been playing it tonight on my sofa. Never ceases to amaze me from a number of perspectives. It’ll be with me for good. I’ve traveled with it a good bit, and I’ve never had a problem bringing it onto a plane to store in the overhead bin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber