The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-26-2021, 07:26 PM

Awesome!
48 years for me on September 11.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 09-27-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
Nice discussion, the good news for those of us that went on another career journey but continued to play is we can still practice and learn new things in retirement. Playing any musical instrument can be a lifelong journey and with every new day there is another opportunity to learn something new.
Hi Teleplucker!

Yes, this is how I see it, too. Congratulations on your hitting the 50-year mark! That's very cool!

I have been playing consistently since 1964, so 2021-1964 = 57 years. I started at age 16, I'm now 73. I was probably a better guitar player 10 years ago when my arthritis didn't limit me quite so much, but I am still making music and still enjoying the guitar. If I didn't have the guitar and music in my retirement, I don't know what I'd do. Maybe I'd have to go back to work!

In my earlier years I spent a lot of years writing songs, which is hard work, I think. It's rewarding to turn a song into a recorded work and make it sound good. My wife and I and our 3 children did music professionally for 7 years while I still held down my full time engineering job. But I was a whole lot younger then. In the meantime, the music business changed and my kids grew up and went off to college, and so I went back to only one job. I was glad for the change because I was exhausted.

I have been enjoying learning covers of other people's music for the last 30 years or so. I have been exposed to so much music by doing this, and it's a whole lot less work with a lot more music as a result. I keep learning new things, so that keeps me feeling hopeful for the future.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic