The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Slothead and SRick,

I would also add that this newfound "wonder" about the world is a very refreshing thing to me. I'm still the same person I was before I retired, but now appreciate things, mostly small things, far more.
Interesting….I’m already falling into this, even though retirement is a few months off.

Suddenly, a fabulous sunset, a pod of dolphins cruising by (or hunting), the look on my dogs faces, small children playing and laughing, even small chores around the house…they all seem new to me or, maybe, more appreciated and fulfilling. Probably a combination of oncoming retirement, turning 65 next month, and seeing some of my friends battle illnesses.

As a writer of songs I’ve begun to realize the topics fall more toward what once was and the love and appreciation I have for loved ones than just seeing stuff as subject matter.

Good thread Glenn. Appreciate you bringing it up.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Glenn,
Thanks for this link; I very much enjoyed the article. I’ve reached that point in my career when I see the journey as reaching an end. This year, or next, I’ll turn in my keys. I’ve watched folks retire well from my profession. But I’ve watched the opposite happen, too.

I like the suggestion that we find joy in helping others. I reckon I’ll go work at the local food bank or some similar volunteer job.

I have had to come to terms with being “redundant” in that I’m no longer essential to the running of my department. I’m okay with no longer being part of “leadership.” My last major university responsibility is chairing our appeals committee—and I’m casting about for a replacement whom I can train.

My hope is that I soften the transition by working a term or two half time. I will miss being a teacher. I will miss my students and my colleagues. But I know it’s time to move on.

My favorite Tennyson poem is about the hero’s last journey. President Kennedy could recite it from memory. I cannot. But I can link it here:
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45392/ulysses

Optima dies, prima fugit

Last edited by Jim Owen; 09-22-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I’m now recalling that when Bertram Russell wrote a book on happiness he included a chapter on work.

Russell argued that if we construct narratives that we are working toward something, we will be happy. If we spend 8 hrs a day tightening the third bolt on the second widget, not so much happiness ensues.

So for those of us who’ve found happiness in our work, stepping out of it feels scary. Unless we can find something else to fulfill another narrative.

That’s why I appreciate the Atlantic article’s final post. My retired friends who deliver meals on wheels or sort books for the library’s sale or work in the local food bank are happy.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 09-22-2021, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Glenn,
Thanks for this link; I very much enjoyed the article. I’ve reached that point in my career when I see the journey as reaching an end. This year, or next, I’ll turn in my keys. I’ve watched folks retire well from my profession. But I’ve watched the opposite happen, too.

I like the suggestion that we find joy in helping others. I reckon I’ll go work at the local food bank or some similar volunteer job.

I have had to come to terms with being “redundant” in that I’m no longer essential to the running of my department. I’m okay with no longer being part of “leadership.” My last major university responsibility is chairing our appeals committee—and I’m casting about for a replacement whom I can train.

My hope is that I soften the transition by working a term or two half time. I will miss being a teacher. I will miss my students and my colleagues. But I know it’s time to move on.

My favorite Tennyson poem is about the hero’s last journey. President Kennedy could recite it from memory. I cannot. But I can link it here:
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45392/ulysses
Hi Jim,

I feel that I have missed something in my life by not knowing about the Tennyson poem you referenced and linked. I found the ending quite moving...

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments, Jim! I wish you well on your coming retirement.

- Glenn
Old 09-22-2021, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Interesting….I’m already falling into this, even though retirement is a few months off.

Suddenly, a fabulous sunset, a pod of dolphins cruising by (or hunting), the look on my dogs faces, small children playing and laughing, even small chores around the house…they all seem new to me or, maybe, more appreciated and fulfilling. Probably a combination of oncoming retirement, turning 65 next month, and seeing some of my friends battle illnesses.

As a writer of songs I’ve begun to realize the topics fall more toward what once was and the love and appreciation I have for loved ones than just seeing stuff as subject matter.

Good thread Glenn. Appreciate you bringing it up.
Hi Slothead,

If getting ready for retirement has you looking more closely at the world around you, it's a good thing. Your time to slow down and smell the roses.

Best of luck to you on your coming retirement. I hope all goes well for you.

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2021, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Jim,

I feel that I have missed something in my life by not knowing about the Tennyson poem you referenced and linked. I found the ending quite moving...

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments, Jim! I wish you well on your coming retirement.

- Glenn
Funny, Glenn—those are the lines I think of most. I reckon that it’s a poem quite fitting for those of a certain age.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 09-23-2021, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Funny, Glenn—those are the lines I think of most. I reckon that it’s a poem quite fitting for those of a certain age.
Hi Jim,

I realize now that many, many years ago I read and studied the poem, "Ulysses." I had forgotten about it. It took a while for it to come back to me! We studied this in my high school AP English class, I think as a senior, but maybe I was a junior. It's a long time ago now!

But I am so very glad you reminded me. I feel as if I have learned this epic poem all over again!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic