The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

View Poll Results: Which pair of mics do you prefer
Pair #1 1 25.00%
Pair #2 1 25.00%
its a toss up 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Default An imperfect mic comparison - which do you prefer

This is an imperfect comparison of two pairs of mics. No eq was done on the tracks, just some editing.

Mic pair #1

or

Mic pair #2

Anything below this text has nothing to do with the comparison.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:02 PM

I prefer the first pair.

EDIT: I prefer the first recording.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:39 AM

And I prefer the second recording. To my taste, the second one has a clarity that the first one doesn't.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

It would depend on the purpose, but, honestly, I found things about each that would probably make me want to redo the recordings. So, I didn't vote.

If I had to pick, the 2nd might get the nod just because it seemed a little more balanced, and EQ is something I'd rather do very little of. The first had some woofiness to my ear, which was likely addressable with some mic positioning and a retake. It seemed a bit more closed in, but as you said, the comparison was imperfect. Maybe with a simultaneous recording and the mics coincident, comparison would be simpler. (You might try that with just a single mic, i.e., 1ea coincident, recording in a few different locations if you're still trying to decide.)

But, the 2nd was a bit noisy - more LDC-like (not all in a good way). I don't know how much was difference in [mic] placement/room/time of day/mic/performance, etc., but if it was something correctable, I'd probably try for a more pristine take, especially if it's a solo recording you're working on.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
It would depend on the purpose, but, honestly, I found things about each that would probably make me want to redo the recordings. So, I didn't vote.

If I had to pick, the 2nd might get the nod just because it seemed a little more balanced, and EQ is something I'd rather do very little of. The first had some woofiness to my ear, which was likely addressable with some mic positioning and a retake. It seemed a bit more closed in, but as you said, the comparison was imperfect. Maybe with a simultaneous recording and the mics coincident, comparison would be simpler. (You might try that with just a single mic, i.e., 1ea coincident, recording in a few different locations if you're still trying to decide.)

But, the 2nd was a bit noisy - more LDC-like (not all in a good way). I don't know how much was difference in [mic] placement/room/time of day/mic/performance, etc., but if it was something correctable, I'd probably try for a more pristine take, especially if it's a solo recording you're working on.
I only have two mic stands so I had to record, then switch out the mics. I tried to get the mics in the exact spot. Not too hard as there were only two spots to remember, My house is not soundproof so I have to go with "imperfect" on a regular basis. Sometimes it is quieter than other times though. The best time to record in my house is those in between seasons where the ac, heat or fans are not being used.

My SoundCloud page

Old 08-30-2021, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I only have two mic stands so I had to record, then switch out the mics. I tried to get the mics in the exact spot. Not too hard as there were only two spots to remember, My house is not soundproof so I have to go with "imperfect" on a regular basis. Sometimes it is quieter than other times though. The best time to record in my house is those in between seasons where the ac, heat or fans are not being used.
Don't record in pairs, i.e., evaluate just a single mic, i.e., one of each on each stand, placed with the capsules as close to each other as possible, aimed the same way. It should give you a better comparison of how each mic sounds because they'll be recording the same thing. Adjust gain at the interface to make the levels close and then normalize the recordings maybe to a peak of -1dB, or some LUFS, like -17dB, if you want to compare dynamic range differences.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Don't record in pairs, i.e., evaluate just a single mic, i.e., one of each on each stand, placed with the capsules as close to each other as possible, aimed the same way. It should give you a better comparison of how each mic sounds because they'll be recording the same thing. Adjust gain at the interface to make the levels close and then normalize the recordings maybe to a peak of -1dB, or some LUFS, like -17dB, if you want to compare dynamic range differences.
Thanks Keith.

The first recording was done with two AT-2035 large condenser mics. The second recording was a Rode NT-5 on the treble and an AKG Perception 150 on the bass. I did another similar recording using my Sterling Audio ST-170 ribbon on the treble and a AT-2035 on the bass which I liked better than first two recordings. Here it is. It has been "mastered" though:

My SoundCloud page

Old 08-31-2021, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks Keith.

The first recording was done with two AT-2035 large condenser mics. ...
I would not have guessed two LDCs for that recording.

I've tried a lot of combinations, though have pretty much decided that, personally, a single mic is usually plenty, unless there is a fair amount of exposed guitar that could benefit from more width than just a reverb bus is going to supply. (Never the case in my own, test stuff.)

For anything in a mix, it's rare to need two (IMO), but it does let you get a bit lazier about positioning (again, IMO). I do use two if I have someone over for a short time and can't spend too much figuring out what is "best." I have not recorded solo guitar in a couple years (at least - sometimes I lose a year of memory lately), though.

Well placed, a pair of decent SDCs in a good space is really hard to beat.

Last edited by keith.rogers; 08-31-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Barry I am sure you realize BUT let me stress again, having two different performances is so problematic as to really distract from the intended purpose.
As keith suggested if you only have two mic stands, then just record in mono.
There is realistically no reliable way to compare mics with two different mics with performances
A/B comparison is hard enough to get right (what with balancing levels etc. ) to introduce two different performances simply exacerbates the difficulty and issues and decreases the validity .....

Think of it this way:: in terms of acquiring knowledge and experience there is an old adage " practice does not make perfect ,, perfect practice makes perfect" , (obviously perfection does not really exist) But the sentiment applies ..
In other words you are not doing your acquired experience and knowledge base a favor, by setting up comparisons situations with increased variables when they are avoidable ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-01-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Pretty Close

Aloha Barry,

Thanks for taking the time to record & share your comparison of the mic pair's you record at home with. Feedback is always welcomed, right?

I felt that both sample mic combo's sounded pretty close. However,. neither sample of mic pairs sounded very good to me. I liked the second "imbalanced"combo, by a nose because it had a tad more clariy. Because I used AKG's for decades (451, 535, 460 & 480's) I can always hear that distinct AKG treble quality, no matter the model, or era.

I would like to hear the samples w/ recording levels set slightly higher.

But I still think you will be amazed by the sound quality improvement of your recordings when you can upgrade to the better stereo mic pair/mic preamp combo's & fully treat your space - in the future of course.

Here's an old Doug Young mic comparison thread that you might also enjoy. Many comments there gave me a fresh perspective on those mic's, mic comparisons in general, other advanced mic elements to consider (like off axis performance) by the smart guys among us here, & much more to think about & listen to. Enjoy!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=522846

Thanks again for this thread, Barry.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 09-01-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. I'm not a "techie" obviously. When I post a "comparison" or a "how does this sound" sort of thread I'm really just looking for first impression/casual observation sort of response, not a detailed analysis. For instance, if everyone liked the first pair as compared to the second pair, I would record more with that pair that's all. Thanks to everyone for their responses and advice. I think I'll pass on posting this sort of thread in the future and just use my own ears even though I tend to hear what I want to hear at times

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-02-2021, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Default A Suggestion

Aloha Barry,

Suggestion: AFTER FULL ROOM TREATMENT (Otherwise any gear is a waste of money & time) - Sell off ALL four of your current mic's & Buy ONE Microtech-Gefell M300. Then Save up for the second one.

And then, cross your microphones off the list of things in your signal chain that might be preventing you from achieving great, consistent acoustic home recordings. Stick w/ Doug's recording techniques even with the new mic(s).

For inspiration. I know you've seen this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQV2pMY6vw4

Good Luck, Barry!
alohachris

PS: Anton had trouble achieving consistent acoustic results to his liking for a long time. Once he switched to the M300, he never looked back. Check out Anton Emery's youtube channel for audio samples.-alohachris-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD