The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-23-2021, 08:41 PM

Default Locking Tuners

A few years back I asked if anyone had installed locking tuners on a Composite Acoustics OX. At the time, no one had, and CA was unresponsive when I asked about drop in lockers. So I’ll ask the forum again, as well as has anyone installed lockers on an Emerald X7? I don’t want to drill (damage) either guitar, but I’d like easier string changes. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 08-23-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieMar View Post
A few years back I asked if anyone had installed locking tuners on a Composite Acoustics OX. At the time, no one had, and CA was unresponsive when I asked about drop in lockers. So I’ll ask the forum again, as well as has anyone installed lockers on an Emerald X7? I don’t want to drill (damage) either guitar, but I’d like easier string changes. Any thoughts? Thanks
The Grover Rotomatic 406 series (3+3) should be a drop in replacement. I actually have installed these and I think the specs are the exact same specs for the Gotoh Mini 510s on the X7. They are great tuners, 18:1 just like the Gotohs

(if you want specs there is a spec sheet for these on this page and you can compare those measurements with your current tuners)

https://grotro.com/product/mini-lock...cs-406-series/

Journey Instruments also makes these with their brand logo for half the cost of the Grovers. I've bought and installed both and I think the Journeys are every bit as good (but only in chrome). These tuners are different styles but exactly the same install dimensions; the Grovers are locked on the face of the headstock with a screwdriver or coin. The Journey's are locked on the back of the headstock by hand tightening a dial.

https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...ft-x-3-tal001/

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-23-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:32 AM

Can't help with the CA, but Emerald uses Gotoh tuners, which are very high quality. There are locking versions for most Gotoh tuner styles, so you'll probably be able to find one for yours.

As far as I know, they have 2 locking versions, one with a thumbwheel, and the other with a reverse threaded locking mechanism that tightens/clamps on the string as you tune up, and vice versa.

https://g-gotoh.com/productList/sg510-series/?lang=en
Old 08-24-2021, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

I actually did have locking tuners on my X7 for a while. They were Gotoh tuners, dropped right in. I think I may still have them. When the guitar was new, I was changing strings a LOT, figuring out what I liked most on it, and the locking tuners helped a little bit. Totally unnecessary, but sort of convenient. The guitar has been gone for a good while, but I think I still have the tuners…

-Ray

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-24-2021 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The Grover Rotomatic 406 series (3+3) should be a drop in replacement. I actually have installed these and I think the specs are the exact same specs for the Gotoh Mini 510s on the X7. They are great tuners, 18:1 just like the Gotohs

(if you want specs there is a spec sheet for these on this page and you can compare those measurements with your current tuners)

https://grotro.com/product/mini-lock...cs-406-series/

Journey Instruments also makes these with their brand logo for half the cost of the Grovers. I've bought and installed both and I think the Journeys are every bit as good (but only in chrome). These tuners are different styles but exactly the same install dimensions; the Grovers are locked on the face of the headstock with a screwdriver or coin. The Journey's are locked on the back of the headstock by hand tightening a dial.

https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...ft-x-3-tal001/

Thank you. I will investigate these.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3stat View Post
Can't help with the CA, but Emerald uses Gotoh tuners, which are very high quality. There are locking versions for most Gotoh tuner styles, so you'll probably be able to find one for yours.

As far as I know, they have 2 locking versions, one with a thumbwheel, and the other with a reverse threaded locking mechanism that tightens/clamps on the string as you tune up, and vice versa.

https://g-gotoh.com/productList/sg510-series/?lang=en

Thank you. I do think I recall hearing that Gotoh had lockers. I will investigate these.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I actually did have locking tuners on my X7 for a while. They were Gotoh tuners, dropped right in. I think I may still have them. When the guitar was new, I was changing strings a LOT, figuring out what I liked most on it, and the locking tuners helped a little bit. Totally unnecessary, but sort of convenient. The guitar has been gone for a good while, but I think I still have the tuners…

-Ray

Ray—totally agree lockers fall under the “nice to have” category and IMO make string changes easier. If it turns out you still have the tuners, and want to part with them, please reply here or pm me. I have the newest body style X7 and if we can confirm the tuners will drop in, maybe we can work something out. Thanks
Old 08-25-2021, 01:36 AM

According to Scott from Stringjoy suggestion, better leave some wraps (half turn should do) on locking tuners.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 08-29-2021, 03:25 PM

Anybody put lockers on a CA OX??
Old 08-31-2021, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

[email protected] Josh Gemmell at Japarts.ca can get about anything in the Gotoh line. He's on the forum somewhere.

I personally think the Gotoh MG and HAP-M string posts are pretty slick and have them on one of my guitars. Locking but they don't look like traditional locking tuners with the big dial on the back. Just turn them like any other tuner and they lock up the post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber