The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-08-2018, 11:16 AM

Default B minor fingering-all 6 strings or just 4 or 5?

How did you learn the B minor fingering?

Did you start with major chord barre shape across all 6 strings and just shift your middle ring and pinky fingers down, keeping the index finger across all six strings (like I did?).

Or did you instead shift ALL fingers down, leaving the low E untouched? And did you learn to also arch your index finger to give you the option to leave the high E open, as Jason Isbell seems to do in the version below of "If We Were Vampires?" (Bmin fingering at 0:31 and other parts as well).

By the way, on the second progression of the opening chords, you can detect that Isbell doesn't QUITE get that B note to ring out. Even the pros get the buzz occasionally -- VERY occasionally!

1970ish Harmony Buck Owens American
2012 Martin D1AXE
Old 05-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I believe I first learned the easy fingering on the top 4 strings... an Am, slid up 2 frets with an index on the F#.

Then I learned the 5-string barre chord (A shape) in the 2nd fret. On occasion I'll use 6-string barre chord (E shape), but not very often. The 5-string chord works great.

I've used the "arch" you're talking about on occasion, depending on the fret I'm in.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 AM

I learned the barre chord method, but then I learned how to play 4 finger chords and that's made all the difference.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:37 AM

I learned the barre chord way, and now - many years later - I’m trying to do as the pros do it: only fret the notes you need.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 05-08-2018, 11:39 AM

I do several shapes. Basic one is Am slid up, root B on the 5th string and only play the middle four strings (I do mostly pick or thumb and three fingers, so four string chords is my normal). If you play the B on the 5th string with your index finger a barre to pick up the high F# is extremely easy. Obviously the Em barre chord shape on the 7th fret. I very often substitute m7 for minor chords.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 AM

why fret only the notes you need? If other notes belong with a chord or sound good with it fretting those won't hurt anything and would actually be better as when those strings vibrate due to either you accidentally hitting them or the vibrations from the other strings they will be doing so with notes that sound good in relation to the other notes you are playing . I always try to fret as many notes as possible that sound good with ones I am playing as possible.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:58 PM

I do the regular barre. Since Bm and F#m are common chords in the key of A (or F#m) then sometimes it makes sense to barre all six strings if a F#m follows a Bm in the progression or vice versa.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:15 PM

Full barre chords for a minor triad limits you to two or three chord forms.

Playing only the notes you need gives you 12 different places to play a triad.

I can and do play full barre chords sometimes.

Sometimes four beats of four different inversions of the same chord is more interesting that four beats of the same form.

Even more interesting with four note chords.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:42 PM

I played electric for decades before acoustic. I was dedicated to the Grande Barre on electric from early on, and use it on acoustic all the time.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 05-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Use what best works for situation. So be equally capable of using full barres, partial barres, and non barres.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write