The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Newbie question about LR Baggs EAS jack

My new Breedlove has a LR Baggs EAS jack in the bottom. It's the first acoustic-electric I've owned that doesn't have an on-board preamp. Can I amplify it by merely plugging it into an acoustic amp, or do I need some other gadget?

Would it work with this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic...t-Combo-Amp.gc

I'm just learning about the volume control dial hidden in the soundhole. I really am ignorant!

Does the battery automatically turn on whenever you plug something into the jack?

Last edited by Uncle Clownmeat; 03-02-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:52 PM

Default Newbie question about LR Baggs EAS jack

The EAS is an active system. The preamp is attached to the jack and covered by a metal tube. There should be a pouch attached with Velcro inside the body that holds the battery. The battery pouch should not be attached to the top. If it is, relocate it to the back. Volume control, battery and pickup wires go to the tube covering the preamp. Make sure the braided pickup wire is anchored to the top no more than an inch from the hole under the bridge to reduce feedback or booming bass. Also, plugging into the jack turns the system on so be sure to unplug when not using it or you’ll burn a battery every 40-ish days.

Last edited by 6-StringSamurai; 03-02-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't have a guitar amplifier, but, with the help of a few adapters I had lying around, I was able to plug my Breedlove into my TV soundbar. It sounded great, like acoustic guitars do on live albums.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:07 PM

The sound bar is likely an array of small speakers sort of like what Bose does in their L1/2 systems.

PA systems are generally best for accurate sound reproduction, followed by acoustic instrument amps, followed by bass amps, followed by keyboard amps. Electric guitar amps are a last resort.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification