The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-20-2021, 06:11 AM

Default NLSD (New Lap Steel Day)

Last December I put in order with Todd Clinesmith to build me a lap steel. It's a Joaquin model with 8 strings (with wider than normal string spacing), 24.75" scale length, and a horseshoe pickup.

This steel is so amazing on several levels. It sounds amazing. I have a 1940 Rickenbacher panda lap steel with a horseshoe pickup. This Clinesmith has a very different tone than the Panda. I'd say while not an exact comparison, the Rickenbacher is like a Les Paul and the Clinesmith like a Strat. This may be due to the Rickenbacher having a bakelight body and the Clinesmith having a wood body. But just like a Strat, the Clinesmith has a lot of different tones it can create.

This Clinesmith also plays extremely well. It's a mystery to me why any 2 lap steels play differently from one another as it just strings suspended in the air. However, for some intangible reason, my intonation is better on the Clinesmith. It just FEELS better to play.

Todd Clinesmith lost his shop during the fires in Oregon last year. He is rebuilding his shop while still making steels. I ordered this one in December and it come yesterday. But it was worth the wait.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:20 AM

Different scale length between the two.(?)
Old 06-20-2021, 08:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Congratulations!

Reading up on Todd's site I see that the body is made of hard rock maple. I've got one guitar that is maple - a Carvin TL60T with a maple through-neck. I can tell you that it has what I call a very "technical" sound. Where a Les Paul with mahogany/maple naturally causes chords to coalesce into single sounds, a pure maple system emphasizes individual-string definition. There are many more harmonics available. Even though my TL60T has humbuckers (splittable) it has more definition than my other electrics.

When paired with the horseshoe, I can imagine what you are experiencing. I'd love to hear it in action.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-20-2021, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Very cool.

I’m with Bob. Can’t wait to hear it.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:18 AM

Bob pretty much nailed the description of the clarity of notes on this steel.

I'm hoping to get some videos up soon.

BTW, this was Todd Clinesmith's shop last year after the fires in Oregon. Really glad he is able to keep making instruments. One reason mine took so long to build was that Todd was rebuilding his shop. He still has a lot to do before it is done, but he was able to get my steel built. Really appreciate that and hope the best for him.

Last edited by 815C; 06-21-2021 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:26 AM

I also own a Clinesmith Joaquin lap steel but mine is a 6-string. He is a very talented builder, and mine is a lifetime keeper. Enjoy your Clinesmith.

I am shocked to hear that his shop was burned down. I hope he has fully recovered and wish him the best.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:03 PM

That looks like a very beautifully built lap steel. Congrats on your new NLSD! As for it playing different than your other one, all of mine feel quite different from one another.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments