The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I showed this to Kathy and she loved the grey so I thought, what the heck at least I know what I am getting here, but $258.00 per 20 sq feet and I need 130 square feet, that is just not going to happen, just under 2 grand for wood...
FWIW Lowes offers a military discount for vets....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-18-2019, 09:48 PM

Looking at the gray tone of the Lowes photo, that looks a lot like well-weathered cedar fence boards to me. The brown ones look like mildly weathered fencing, maybe 2-3 years old. Might be able to find those more easily.....
Old 08-19-2019, 04:54 AM

I'd say get off the computer / phone and get out into the coffee hangouts of old retired guys. They have it and know where it is.

There's a lot of stuff still out there that's not on the internet.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 08-19-2019, 07:07 AM

I would check with millworks and/or lumber yards in your region. They can usually source and dress (plane, end finish, T&G) as necessary.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys, I know it is hard to find haha, that is why I took a shot and posted it here in case anyone knew a source.

I should state, I was using the term barnwood generically. Any of the reclaimed wood with that aged look would be fine, doesn't have to come from a barn. I will change the title of the thread. I have even seen palate wood used.

If anyone has a company they know of, that would be great.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I will do that search Rick.

Tom, I've heard good things about this product, though I have no direct experience. I haven't tried it yet because I'm still trying to make all the old stuff in my house look new hahaha

You could probably find some nice rough cut lumber locally, and then apply this ... could do the trick. Note fresh rough cut does shrink, hence all the board and batten style barns you have no doubt seen throughout upstate NY

https://www.varathanemasters.com/pro...od-accelerator

Happy searching,

John

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 08-19-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopman View Post
Tom, I've heard good things about this product, though I have no direct experience. I haven't tried it yet because I'm still trying to make all the old stuff in my house look new hahaha

You could probably find some nice rough cut lumber locally, and then apply this ... could do the trick. Note fresh rough cut does shrink, hence all the board and batten style barns you have no doubt seen throughout upstate NY

https://www.varathanemasters.com/pro...od-accelerator

Happy searching,

John
Thanks John, you are certainly correct, there is no shortage of old barns falling down in upstate NY unfortunately. Very tough time for farmers right now, well almost always, but not good now for sure.

Tom
Old 08-23-2019, 09:47 AM

I have found a place which seems very promising. I have emailed and spoken with the owner several times. He has been very responsive, has over 7 acres of barnwood stored up. The prices are reasonable based on other prices I have seen as well.

They kiln dry it to eliminate any critters, then lightly hand sand the worn face, place copper behind any major knot holes or splits, plane down the other side to 7/8" thickness, put a ship lap edge on it, cut the ends square, and will mix and match the color patterns that you are looking for and send pictures of what they have picked out for approval prior to packing it up. I am also have a prefinish done which will smooth out the surface, deepen the colors a little and make it so I do not have to worry about an guitars coming in contact with too rough of wood. Plus once I put it up, it will be done and I won't have to finish the whole wall, probably just some light touch ups.

I don't want to go into too much more detail until I have the wood in hand and can make sure they follow through on all their promises, but so far it seems like I have found barnwood heaven.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I have found a place which seems very promising. I have emailed and spoken with the owner several times. He has been very responsive, has over 7 acres of barnwood stored up. The prices are reasonable based on other prices I have seen as well.

They kiln dry it to eliminate any critters, then lightly hand sand the worn face, place copper behind any major knot holes or splits, plane down the other side to 7/8" thickness, put a ship lap edge on it, cut the ends square, and will mix and match the color patterns that you are looking for and send pictures of what they have picked out for approval prior to packing it up. I am also have a prefinish done which will smooth out the surface, deepen the colors a little and make it so I do not have to worry about an guitars coming in contact with too rough of wood. Plus once I put it up, it will be done and I won't have to finish the whole wall, probably just some light touch ups.

I don't want to go into too much more detail until I have the wood in hand and can make sure they follow through on all their promises, but so far it seems like I have found barnwood heaven.
That is awesome. I might bother you about this at some point in the future. I'm doing a small renovation of a room above my garage which has been where my guitars are and home office. Maybe we will see the final product at Guitar Palooza? [emoji38]
Old 08-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
That is awesome. I might bother you about this at some point in the future. I'm doing a small renovation of a room above my garage which has been where my guitars are and home office. Maybe we will see the final product at Guitar Palooza? [emoji38]
Oh for sure, the guy has been great so far...if all goes well with getting everything, it will definitely be ready for B.I.G. (er)!!!! I hope you are coming back! I have really big news about the music this year. Super pumped.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:39 PM

Well, time to update the thread. Everything in my last post came through and the owner has been great. The pre-finish did darken the wood more than I had hoped and he went out of his way to send me more with lighter colors to use.

Here are some pics. I started yesterday and finished up today, I would say about 7 hours total, but I took my time picking colors and woods and my mitre saw was set up outside so I had to walk for every cut.

Here is the pile of wood:

wall.jpg

The blank canvas...the wall is 13 feet long and 9 1/2 feet in height:

wall2.jpg

The start:

wall3.jpg
Old 11-24-2019, 03:41 PM

Some more pics of the progress:

wall4.jpg

wall5.jpg
Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 PM

Completion. I was planning on using some 3/4 inch strips for trim, but I got the corners tight enough that I did not think I needed them and then the room turned out to be pretty square and level as the top piece was only a 1/4 difference over the 13 feet so I just ripped that last row a little and it is tight to the ceiling with no trim needed there.

wall6.jpg

Right corner

wall7.jpg

Left corner

wall9.jpg
Old 11-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Final wall: This picture is a little washed out. The pictures above are much closer to actual color, but this showed the wall in its entirety.

wall8.jpg

Guitar hangers should arrive tomorrow and I will mount those. Not sure yet how I will set those up, but I think pretty much in a random pattern rather than trying to get them perfectly straight. I think with the reclaimed wood, more of a random pattern will look better.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-24-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Nice work - that turned out great......
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-24-2019, 04:16 PM

Tom, what a fantastic job! I'd like to have my guitar room with that wall. The guitars are going to look great there.

Plan where your hangers will go before you put them up. Draw it out on paper with measurements.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic