The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Default White oak back too thin?

Greetings,

I have some rift sawn white oak that I have been using to practice resawing. After I finished I really liked how the grain looked and decided to try to make a guitar back and sides. The sides are about 0.090 in thick after sanding. However, the back wound up only about 0.050 inch thick. Although it is pretty thin, it is a fairly dense piece of white oak (density 830 kg/m3). I have been tempted to use this but wanted others opinions if it is too thin to use, or if you have had success with back wood this thin. I have more so I can start over.

Thanks for any help.

Danny
Old 08-12-2019, 11:59 AM

That's pretty darn thin. Also I would be weary of using anything other then quarter sawn oak too, it's got a pretty high expansion rate.

The white oak guitars I build are typically around .1in. I could see going down to .09 but any less then that is pushing it IMHO.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 PM

I recommend using that .050 thick wood for another project - veneering or some such. At that thickness it would be at best quite vulnerable to any impact injury.

Oak may seem like strong stuff, but when a thin section is supported only by a few braces, it can suffer surprise cracks and puncture wounds in "normal" guitar bumps and knocks. . . .

Frank Ford
Old 08-12-2019, 12:19 PM

I would say, if it's that nice of a piece of Oak, why hide it where it will really do no good. Use it for a veneer.

Ed
Old 08-14-2019, 12:37 PM

Why not a laminate back? Solves the issues of expansion by laminating with another wood that's less susceptible, and clearly you can cut another piece to .05 as well, giving you a 0.1 back.

Of course, this only works if you're not going for an active back. Then again, I've seen some cool double-back guitars
Old 08-14-2019, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't considered using it as veneer, but since this is my second guitar I am not sure how to prepare the lamination. I would guess I would use a backer such as poplar? I have some of that I can use, or maybe 1/16" plywood?

Danny
Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbldr View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't considered using it as veneer, but since this is my second guitar I am not sure how to prepare the lamination. I would guess I would use a backer such as poplar? I have some of that I can use, or maybe 1/16" plywood?

Danny
You could use the plywood but you could easily make your own. The plywood would make it very stiff, not necessarily a bad thing for a reflective back.

I've made a double top guitar (basically a laminated top) using MDF as clamping cauls. MDF is typically very near dead flat but if you ever so slightly round out the board such that it is domed with the apex of the dome being the center then when you put your laminates in between the two pieced of MDF and clamp the outer edge the center will have a lot of clamping pressure from the domed shape. IF you are lucky you can find a piece of MDF or even plywood that has that shape to it already.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:47 AM

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the information. I'll give it a try...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair