The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-14-2019, 02:25 PM

Default Travel with X7 vs OF-660

Hi all - I just signed up for a music cruise in the Mediterranean next fall. I have an Emerald X7 and a Journey OF-660 to choose from for my travel guitar. My preference is the X7, but I can use either.

My question is how easy it is to travel with them on international flights - any differences. Any experiences to share?

Thanks,
Dave
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran

Last edited by dmcginnis; 12-14-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

I have traveled with my X7 on numerous flights, both international and domestic. I have never had a problem carrying it onboard with me, though I do usually fly carriers I have frequent flyer status with, or else I pay to board early to ensure I can bring it in the cabin with me.

Have fun on your cruise!
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Have traveled a number of times with an OF660 and with the backpack it is easy-peasy. Never any issue with carryon.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:23 PM

Haven't played both but own an OF660. I like it and had zero issues on a Caribbean cruise in June, and the first and last time I flew with it.

I LOVE the tone of the OF660, prefer the 24.5" scale over the 24" standard scale of the X7, and the collapsible neck is just hard to beat. I wouldn't want to take any chances on an Emerald unless it was in a HSC which negates simple and light travel. I pay for early boarding and don't worry about it period (but of course that could be true with an X7 too), and it is here the OF660 shines and why I bought it. What a great backpack too! I love my Journey.

I'm happy to report that the perceived lack of volume on the OF660 is just that....perceived. I've done decibel testing against my other guitar and the Journey is actually slightly louder.

Have a great cruise!

Last edited by steelvibe; 12-14-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:43 PM

I guess another way of asking my question - If you were making the choice, which one would you take?
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 12-14-2019, 07:02 PM

Default Travel with X7 vs OF-660

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
I guess another way of asking my question - If you were making the choice, which one would you take?

I would take the OF660. The Emerald is too nice and a woody custom is not replaceable should it need to be gate checked and subsequently damaged. The Journey is totally replaceable.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:22 PM

Really liking that OF660.....
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-14-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

I have a OF660 and an Emerald x7 nylon. I’ve traveled with both and haven’t had any problems with having them as my carry-on luggage. The detachable neck of the Journey is certainly convenient but the x7 is small enough for it not to be an issue. So for me it boils down to whether I want to travel with nylon or steel.
I do believe the Journey is more durable and more easily replaced. So in your case that’s what I’d take.
Enjoy the cruise.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

I have owned and traveled with both. I'd definitely go with the OF660. Only the OF660 is assured to be allowed into any overhead compartment. The X7 likely would especially on an international flight which would be a larger airplane but how about smaller connecting flights if there are any? And if the X7 does need to go into check baggage you only have the gig bag for protection.

Also, with the OF660 you can use the guitar and case to pack even more things by stuffing small articles of clothing and whatnot into the guitar case and even the guitar body itself. I did an extensive travel test where I took the OF660 on a cross country, week-long work trip and did just that and it worked very well. I was able to travel with a minimum of bags (just the OF660 and a leather briefcase) with ease.

Here is a direct link to my review of this trip including photos:

NGD: Journey Overhead OF660B - with week-long, real-time travel

If the X7 is much preferred as the guitar you'd rather play then could do the same thing and pack some clothing in the gig bag which would provide some extra protection incase you did have to check the guitar. Being carbon fiber it would likely be fine anyway. I have owned several Emeralds and they are tough guitars.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Thumbs up

I agree with all the points brought up. But you know yourself pretty well, so visualize all the occasions you want to be with your guitar: version X7 vs version OF660. For me,it is like wearing a tuxido vs Levis jeans. Pick the one you like. You can't go wrong with either. I have both and traveled international and domestic with OF660 only because I do not want to be pre-occupied with possible damage or theft of almost $3,000 item. My X7 always drew attention of others and since you will be surrounded by music people, maybe that is a good thing.

I would say if you think you will have more fun with X7, go ahead, make your day!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber