The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-10-2018, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone had Carpal Tunnel Surgery ??

Hi, I've had CTS for years. I have a sympathetic GP who give me Cortico-steroid injection as and when I request them, but I find that they are lasting for a less and less time before I'm back where I started. Bad in the right, pretty terrible in the left.
I use a nightsplint which hepls butnot much.

So, my question is - has anybody had the surgery and how long was it until you could play again (or do anything else with the hand?

I am left handed but play righty so need my dexterity in my left hand.

did you consider that your dexterity was reduced after the procedure?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Had surgery on left hand, fretting hand. Was playing a week later with no loss of dexterity. Probably could have been sooner, but had shoulder surgery at the some time on same side. Once the bandage is off and not in the way there's really no limitation except don't bang it. It's just the incision that has to heal. No muscle, tendons or bones involved. I really need to have my other hand done. It's keeping me awake at night. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for this. Just tried to book an appointment with my GP to discuss and got the message "There are no appointments available!" Oh well!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:22 PM

Willie Nelson had it done several years ago and it seems to have worked out pretty well for him.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 03-11-2018, 05:03 AM

I've got CTS in my left wrist area. (self diagnose)

I'm hesitant to do anything about it because of the recovery time and the physical terrorist that follows.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:07 AM

Scheduled for 10A.M. at hospital, all went well, was eating lunch at home at noon! One to two weeks and you're good to go! You picked a good time of year to have it done too.

Fog
Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 AM

I had it done. Just practiced slide in open G for a few weeks. Good luck and Happy Birthday.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Had it done when I was a carpenter at about age 30. Was back to work and playing guitar in less than a month. In my 60's now with no issues.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:57 AM

See my post above. Minimal recovery time and I had no PT.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:50 PM

One of my Wife's cousins had it done.... He said in retrospect - he should not have waited.... For him - it was a major game changer..
Old 03-13-2018, 10:21 AM

I had both hands done in 2000/2001. The recovery time will depend on the surgical method. Arthroscopic should be faster, but not all surgeons do it that way, they do it how ever they were trained so you may have to shop for a surgeon. Recovery can still greatly vary. I had a severe case, one of the worst my surgeon had seen. My right hand took several days before I could move my fingers at all, hold a fork. My left hand, which was just as painful as right, I could wiggle my finger on the ride home from the procedure, so you can't "figure" what going to happen. I do strongly recommend that you get the procedure done as it helped me tremendously. It is not a "risky" operation, done with local anesthesia and remember that it is very very common, the docs that perform the surgery do it all the time, hundred and hundreds of times.
Your dexterity will not suffer once you're healed, it should in fact be better depending on your exact symptoms.
I will send you a PM with my home phone # if you care to ask any questions in person.
Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I'm glad everyone who has posted before me has had a good experience with surgery for CTS. I have met and worked with folks who have not had successful outcomes. The surgery is sometimes really disappointing and gives you problems you may not have had before. I hate to be the wet noodle, but just be aware there may be a downside to surgery.

I had carpal tunnel problems in both hands about 30 years ago and was scheduled for surgery. At the last minute my insurance said they wouldn't pay for it unless I went through some physical therapy first. Okay, I said. I was told to be off work for 2 weeks, wear custom made plastic splints 24/7 for 2 weeks and then splints at night for 5 more weeks. During the 2 week time off work (and any physical activity with my hands), I underwent physical therapy (hydrotherapy, heat, and a couple of other types of therapy I have forgotten the names of). I took heavy anti-inflammatories and after 2 weeks I was okay to return to work as an administrative assistant. I adjusted my work station to be more ergonomic and learned how to work to avoid future injury.

That was about 30 years ago. If I remember to take care of my hands and don't overwork them I never have a problem. It just took adjusting my life and being aware of what can aggravate the condition. I'm sure everyone else is different and may not have had the positive experience I have had. I just wanted to say that surgery should be the last resort, as it's not always successful. Good luck! Hope you can get past the current problems with CTS.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:06 PM

Do any of you guitar players, with carpal tunnel syndrome, believe that this was caused from playing the guitar too much or was it caused from some other activity?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:00 AM

Mine was a result of being a Carpenter.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Re-up the question...

Carpal from playing guitar?

I’d like 3 hrs daily, but CTS is raising its ugly head.

No other repetitive motion in my life.

What’s working? What isn’t?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic