The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

It's approximately day 9 of Deep River Blues, I'm cleaning up the way I'm working measures 9 and 10 of the second part. I should have it down by the weekend. I also started day 1 of Mississippi Blues. This song is kinda long, so I will do a shorter version for this thread. It might repeat a lot so I'll see how it works out. I first heard the song in a Waterloo Parlor demo video. It really grabbed me, gotta learn this song!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Guest 33123

Day 33: day 2 of the big stitch. Couldn't play part A properly after 40+ minutes so that was the end of that. I just went to bed.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Day 33: day 2 of the big stitch. Couldn't play part A properly after 40+ minutes so that was the end of that. I just went to bed.
Doug, record it at 90% of performance speed or your best speed that you can play it cleanly, and post it. If you work on it too long it could drive you nuts, lol.

My SoundCloud page

Old 11-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Doug, record it at 90% of performance speed or your best speed that you can play it cleanly, and post it. If you work on it too long it could drive you nuts, lol.
Don't worry I think I'm already nuts.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Ok, here's my "Darcy' s Guitar". I used my Seagull Coastline Folk. One mic, some noise and bass reduction. Its not perfect, but I'm done with it. I did it like MrP, once through, no repeats. Now at least I have two songs that I can play that sound finished :

Now on to the blues!
Quote:
Here's the first half, the second is done except for 2 bars that the initial chord grabbing is off about 50% of the time. I think it turned out pretty good.

This tune is now in my daily routine so I will get those stubborn chords down soon, but I wanted to officially start on my next tune "Mississippi Blues"
Those were very well done Barry!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Those were very well done Barry!
Thanks Doug!

My SoundCloud page

Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Guest 33123

Day 34: had about a 1/2 hour yesterday. Focused on getting part A back to life and then I played parts A and B together but I didn't get any farther because I had to pick up the girls from ballet. Ahh my life as a chauffeur (I mean parent).
Old 11-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Day 2 of Mississippi Blues went better than the 1st. I was having a lot of "duh" moments with it. The first part is mostly all triads with cool intermediate bluesy notes, alternating base and lines.
I'm slowly but surely getting those two measures of Deep River Blues under my fingers too. I swapped out the Martin Monel Retros on my Seagull for Dean Markly Alchemy Goldbronze mediums. They sound a bit deeper. I'm tuned down a full step and using a capo on 2 for both tunes. This weekend I am going to set up a second mic to record in stereo also.

My SoundCloud page

Old 11-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Guest 33123

Day 35: stitch accomplished! Played the whole thing through. I had to play it slower to make it through part C. Not THAT slow though. Couple of slight mess ups in part C as well but no showstoppers. So I'm pretty happy. Now to speed it up. I don't think I'll ever get it to Stefan Grossman's speed on the DVD but so what!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Ok, last night was a good session, not as long as the previous nights, but productive. Mississippi Blues is starting to sound like music now (the 1st two pages) and Deep River Blues is just about done, a lot less mistakes on part two's measure 9.

My SoundCloud page

Old 11-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Guest 33123

Day 36: well I'm putting this one to bed for now. I played it through successfully again last night so I'll take a break from posting about the medley. I'll work on speeding it up and smoothing it out then record and post it. Thanks to all who followed along.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Ok, here is a recording of the 2nd part of Deep River Blues. I practiced it for about 15 minutes (both parts) and actually got this recorded on the first try:

I'm now going to practice this song daily to get a good groove on it and record it for here and Show and Tell. Now I'm going to concentrate on Mississippi Blues and Toby Walker's Long Tall Mama and Hideaway arrangements. Long Tall is a couple of pages, but Hideaway is several and a pretty quick pace so we see how that goes. I can play the first two pages of Mississippi Blues pretty decent and now I am concentrating on the last few pages. I might post the first half soon here.

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by TBman; 11-13-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Ok, here is a recording of the 2nd part of Deep River Blues. I practiced it for about 15 minutes (both parts) and actually got this recorded on the first try:

I'm now going to practice this song daily to get a good groove on it and record it for here and Show and Tell. Now I'm going to concentrate on Mississippi Blues and Toby Walker's Long Tall Mama and Hideaway arrangements. Long Tall is a couple of pages, but Hideaway is several and a pretty quick pace so we see how that goes. I can play the first two pages of Mississippi Blues pretty decent and now I am concentrating on the last few pages. I might post the first half soon here.
Barry:

If I post my own rendition of DRB, will you listen to it? I'll give it a clueless name on SoundCloud and then I'll remove it. I want you to hear how you can add the melody in with the fingerpicking and use it as a solo. I've been thinking that we (people here) should gather up the songs they want to learn, ask for anyone to do it if they can, and then we pass the links around and whoever wants to learn the piece do so. E.g. I want to learn the claw but the resources on the internet are slim. Jerry Reed does it on a video but it's hard to learn from because it's in bits and pieces. Another guy has 3 videos of it and I think there are mistakes in his. I'm a critical listener so I want to learn a Chet Atkins tune to be like Chet played it. Deep River Blues was done best by Doc Watson and I've tried to play it as a solo and to be as close to Doc's version as possible. Let me know if you'd like to hear a solo version of it and I'll do it. I'll wait for your response though.

David

Email signup for News: https://www.facebook.com/DavidLWhite...00265896690345

Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra Rosewood Back and Sides
Taylor 214ce-n Grand Auditorium Nylon
Guild DV-52 Dreadnought Steel String
Yamaha CG172SF Flamenco/Classical Nylon
Stratocaster Copy
Squier P-Bass
Old 11-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWhitehurst View Post
Barry:

If I post my own rendition of DRB, will you listen to it? I'll give it a clueless name on SoundCloud and then I'll remove it. I want you to hear how you can add the melody in with the fingerpicking and use it as a solo. I've been thinking that we (people here) should gather up the songs they want to learn, ask for anyone to do it if they can, and then we pass the links around and whoever wants to learn the piece do so. E.g. I want to learn the claw but the resources on the internet are slim. Jerry Reed does it on a video but it's hard to learn from because it's in bits and pieces. Another guy has 3 videos of it and I think there are mistakes in his. I'm a critical listener so I want to learn a Chet Atkins tune to be like Chet played it. Deep River Blues was done best by Doc Watson and I've tried to play it as a solo and to be as close to Doc's version as possible. Let me know if you'd like to hear a solo version of it and I'll do it. I'll wait for your response though.

David
David,

I think that's over my head right now. I'm just fumbling around trying to learn Toby's arrangements and some pieces arranged by Stefan Grossman. I'd love to hear you play it though!

My SoundCloud page

Old 11-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
David,

I think that's over my head right now. I'm just fumbling around trying to learn Toby's arrangements and some pieces arranged by Stefan Grossman. I'd love to hear you play it though!
I'll post it with mistakes but you can get the general idea. I learned it when I was about 15 and I've always tried to be as true to Doc Watson's version as possible. If you like it, I'll try to figure a way to get you the MP3. I've been learning a song by a very good Greek classical guitar player and he actually sent me his music score to it. That's what I would love to see done with American music. Mark O'Connor has been trying but he's having a really hard time with it because of the classical crowd is overwhelming and doesn't give the fiddle player the respect he deserves. I'll post a SoundCloud link in a couple of minutes.

David

Email signup for News: https://www.facebook.com/DavidLWhite...00265896690345

Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra Rosewood Back and Sides
Taylor 214ce-n Grand Auditorium Nylon
Guild DV-52 Dreadnought Steel String
Yamaha CG172SF Flamenco/Classical Nylon
Stratocaster Copy
Squier P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write