The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-23-2011, 04:25 PM

Default Saddle thread to follow for CF owners

Just giving a heads up to anyone interested in trying different saddles for your carbon fiber guitars.

There is a thread in the General section that is entitled Graphite Saddles.
http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum....php?p=2871355

One of the research techs there has been describing their product which is the cutting edge carbon product out there. They are making picks, saddles, etc.

Most interesting is that they are working on hybrids that rely mostly on wood for the saddle material, with the only the string contact portion made of this material. He claims that this new variation will make carbon fiber guitars sound very much like wood and in private correspondence, a Rainsong with this saddle sounded similar to one of the very best had crafted wood guitars.

I know many are interested in having all the advantages of carbon fiber but still having the familiar sound of wood they've grown up with. This might be a solution, though it is still early.

The odd thing is that it requires wood--to sound like wood.

As you will read in that thread, their website is out of date so you will not find information on this hybrid saddle there yet. It's still experimental. There is only info on the 100% forged carbon saddles. Those are mostly useful in wood guitars that just don't have the energy they need, apparently. On responsive wood or carbon fiber guitars, apparently the 100% saddle is just too alive and the results are not as good.

Last edited by ac; 12-23-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 PM
*mahoganut*

Curious and interesting. I did swap the Tusq out for bone (from Colosi) on my 1100, and although the difference was slight, I could tell and liked it.

I'm thinking, though, that there will be many more factors than the saddle - meaning only that to say a CF guitar is a CF guitar is like saying a wood guitar is a wood guitar - there are many dynamics including body size/depth, bracing, fiber thickness and direction (I'm guessing), etc. I know the Cargo and its bigger brothers did not sound as good as the Rainsong to my ear.

But - thanks for posting and I'll be following with keen interest.

Best,

Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber