The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Certain pickups for certain guitars

Just wondered if anyone else has done this. I got the Anthem and it sounds great in every guitar. I've tried it in 3 (Martin, Taylor and Custom Rose)...now it's back in the Martin. With the Anthem I don't know if it "reproduces" the exact sound of the guitar but it just sounds great!!...I've tried the M-1 in my Rose Custom, (too boomy), my Gurian (sounded good but need some fret work done..had too much "jangally" sounds going on...but, when I get some fret work done I will put another one in it) and now it's in the Taylor Gs-8...(sounds great). I have a K&K in my Gibson and it sounds great. Tried one in my Martin and didn't like it that much...too boomy. Tried it in the Gurian (sitka/mahog) and it was too "crisp"...So, having said all that....has anyone else done this kind of "swapping"?...I do think now I have them where they should be!!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 AM

Not yet, but I am thinking about it and I also agree that there are "horses for courses".
Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 AM

I tried K&K PWM in my Martin and didn't care for it at all. I prefer the M1A in that guitar. I've found the opposite is true in one of my Larrivees.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 AM

I haven't done much pickup swapping but I do have K&K mini's in 5 different guitars. I had one in a Martin OM-28v, and sure enough it was very boomy. Between that and the 'modivied v' neck I never could bond with it and finally sold it and bought a used Larrivee L-05 and a Bose L1 with proceeds. Best equipment swap I ever made.

The K&K sounds fantastic in these: Collings D1A, Larrivee L-05, larrive OM-05MT, and a custom Engelman/Wenge OM.

It doesn't sound so good in these: old Silvertone OM, and an old Kay mini jumbo. They sound good unitl I have to push the volume, then the intrinsic tone of each "cheaper" guitar becomes too much. The Silvertone has bit of a muddy bass, and when that gets loud it rings out. The Kay has a wolf note somewhere that just becomes unmageable when the guitar is played loud. Neither is the fauilt of the K&K pickups becuase those are both traits of the each unamplfied guitar. When not pushing the volume (coffee shop, quite restaurant) I won't hesitate to use either one. Each sounds unique and that sound is acurately reproduced by the K&K. It's juat that when things get loud, that uniqueness becomes a liability.
David's CDs

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification