The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-23-2008, 10:38 AM

Default Busking - do you need a license of some sort?...

...I live in Plymouth, MA and have emailed the local precinct but haven't received a reply yet. Anyone know off hand if it's legal in Massachusetts to busk. I live down by Plymouth Rock, lots of tourist starting to arrive. I'm thinking I could clean up. While we are on the subject, any tips for a first time busker? Thanks for your time and comments. Keep the faith!

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty
Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM

Default It just dawned on me...

...I forgot where I was posting. I forgot the signatures listing thousands and thousands of dollars worth of guitars. I have a feeling most of you haven't busked or even considered the practice. This might be a very short thread indeed.

"In the trail of the barge and the light upon the brine he slaked these thoughts and the forces undivided
singing don't fall through the stars, don't fall through them..." Grey Ghost ~ Mike Doughty
Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Mmmm... Weelll... It probably has to do more with the location where you are hoping to work rather than busking in general. You'll have to wait until someone from your area comes along, because each municipality seems to have its own code for busking. There might be someone here from Plymouth/Sandwich/Cape Cod, but I don't know. Why don't you give your local precinct a call?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 PM

Not the best approach to elicite a response.....

I'm interested in this as well.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:09 PM

I'd say contact the local police department and ask. If you can't find out anything, go for it. However, if a cop comes by and hassles you, apologize, explain your situation and be cooperative. Most cops don't want a hassle.

I'm tempted to try some busking this summer in between gigs. I have a sneaky feeling that I might do quite well in the Twin Cities in some urban settings. I'll use a two channel Taxi system.

I love busking. I did it in the subways of Paris and made some good $$$. Although, it was gross down there...greasy air.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 PM

If you are busking totally acoustic, the best approach is to just DO IT. If you are good, you will draw a crowd and make money. If you aren't, people will just pass you by. Either way, you will get better by having to actually perform for people.
As for The Law, you will usually only encounter a problem if someone complains. Even in that case, all that will happen is that you will be told to "move along". Do so immediately, and be respectful to the cop.
Rule # 1 in busking - always prime your guitar case with a few bills and change.
Good luck - you are about to have an experience that very few have had.

Cabbitt
www.dunnellononline.com
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Default Thanks for the input...

...I appreciate all the guidance. To those offended by my "maybe I posted in the wrong forum" comment, it was typed with a smile and a chuckle, no malice intended. Sometimes it takes a comment like that to get people replying and lookey there, it did. As for the feedback - I will definitely be respectful to the long arm of the law, their job is tough enough without me becoming a hassle. I still haven't heard back from the precinct regarding any bi-laws so I will call them prior to the weekend. Priming the case is an excellent tip. I figure I am out there playing on the weekend anyway and people stop and listen, why not throw out the case and rake in a bit of cash. I have also noticed that the cops on beat do always seem to come by and check out what I am up too, so I really do need to call the precinct. All in all I hope to make a little dough and improve my playing. I hope this ends up a good experience. Thanks again and keep the faith!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 AM

I believe that, in some locations, buskers have to get a vendors license. How about if you call the town hall and talk to the licensing office -- tell them what you want to do and ask exactly what licensing you need?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I'll use a two channel Taxi system.
You asked for advice, well I highly recommend the Crate Taxi 30w which I have used for Busking and supporting street theatre.
A friend has the Taxi Limo 50w big brother which is also good. Both have rechargeable batteries. Mine is used flat out : our band is LOUD, and the battery lasts about 4 hrs playing time at ten on the master volume.
hth
mel
Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannini12 View Post
I believe that, in some locations, buskers have to get a vendors license. How about if you call the town hall and talk to the licensing office -- tell them what you want to do and ask exactly what licensing you need?

Or, you could hand them a copy of the 1st Amendment. Do a little research on busking (there are actually organizations devoted to it), and you will see that you have a 1st Amendment right to express your art in public places.

If you have to ask "permission", you have already given up your rights. If you expect the police or the Town Council to be the arbiters of your rights, you will have none.

Many famous people have started out by busking, and it is an accepted art form all over the world.

Another tip while on your pitch: keep a close eye on your guitar case/tip jar. To quote George Burns (who got his start by busking) -
"Some people put money in the hat. Some people took money out of the hat. Some people took the hat."

Cabbitt
www.dunnellononline.com
Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbitt View Post

Or, you could hand them a copy of the 1st Amendment. Do a little research on busking (there are actually organizations devoted to it), and you will see that you have a 1st Amendment right to express your art in public places.

Many famous people have started out by busking, and it is an accepted art form all over the world.

And unlikely famous people. Loreena McKenitt for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCiDm8H1ggU

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 PM

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but there is no 1st Amdmt. right to busk without a permit. If the Constitution applies at all it is to protect the content of what you're singing as long as you are singing lawfully If there are public safety and noise ordinances, courts have held that performances and demonstrations which violate those ordinances--e.g, are noisy or obstruct traffic (including pedestrians)--can be prohibited.

I don't know about your part of MA, but I have acquaintances who busk in Boston, and a permit is necessary. Moreover, you can only have a small battery-powered amp if you don't play or sing unplugged (and for awhile they'd outlawed amps in the 'T tunnels). Here in Chicago, a friend of mine helped develop our busking license ordinance (before the ordinance, busking was considered disturbing the peace and led to many arrests, usually purely revenue-generating). The city realized that they could make more off a $10/yr. per artist permit ($30 when last I checked) than they could off fines that starving musicians couldn't pay (and it cost money to keep them in lockup). Back in the earliest days of our ordinance, I used to busk along with the musicians and show the cops our permits and a copy of the ordinance. We never did get busted but we always got requests.....

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdks View Post
And unlikely famous people. Loreena McKenitt for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCiDm8H1ggU
The most famous was Tracy Chapman, who used to busk at Harvard Sq. when she was a student at Tufts; she was discovered during one rush hour by an agent who was the head of a small label, which label shortly after they signed her became a major label "one-deep." In NYC and here in Chicago, there are artists who busk more than they play gigs--they earn their livings via tips and CD sales.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but there is no 1st Amdmt. right to busk without a permit. If the Constitution applies at all it is to protect the content of what you're singing as long as you are singing lawfully If there are public safety and noise ordinances, courts have held that performances and demonstrations which violate those ordinances--e.g, are noisy or obstruct traffic (including pedestrians)--can be prohibited.

I don't know about your part of MA, but I have acquaintances who busk in Boston, and a permit is necessary. Moreover, you can only have a small battery-powered amp if you don't play or sing unplugged (and for awhile they'd outlawed amps in the 'T tunnels). Here in Chicago, a friend of mine helped develop our busking license ordinance (before the ordinance, busking was considered disturbing the peace and led to many arrests, usually purely revenue-generating). The city realized that they could make more off a $10/yr. per artist permit ($30 when last I checked) than they could off fines that starving musicians couldn't pay (and it cost money to keep them in lockup). Back in the earliest days of our ordinance, I used to busk along with the musicians and show the cops our permits and a copy of the ordinance. We never did get busted but we always got requests.....

Actually, there have been many legal rulings on busking, some of which can be found here:

http://www.communityartsadvocates.org/StreetArts.html

In many cases, laws restricting busking have been found to be unconstitutional.

As for the 1st Amendment only protecting content, I would disagree. It also protects the people's right to peaceably assemble, which would include busking.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Of course, buskers have no right to block traffic or be a nuisance. "Creating a disturbance", however, is open to the interpretation of the LEO on scene, most of whom are totally ignorant of the laws regarding busking or for that matter, the 1st Amendment.

You can pay the local government for a "permit" if you wish, but be aware that by doing so you are surrendering one of your most basic rights to a capricious group of merchants and politicians.

Cabbitt
www.dunnellononline.com
Old 04-26-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
You can pay the local government for a "permit" if you wish, but be aware that by doing so you are surrendering one of your most basic rights to a capricious group of merchants and politicians.
Oh, brother.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell