The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 PM

My son, age 38, is scheduled for his first Carpal Tunnel surgery this Wednesday. He hopes to be fully recovered in 3 weeks or less, so he can have the second one done. In preparation, he and I have both talked with multiple friends who've had it done. None had complications or less than good results, though the recovery time did seem to vary a little. He does play guitar, but also does a lot of other things with his hands, so it's hard to attribute his pain to any one cause. It did, however, flare up as he was building a long wooden fence around his back yard - digging post holes, mixing and pouring concrete, carrying materials, nailing and screwing hundreds of fasteners. He's a church music director who plays guitar, so he's praying for a speedy recovery.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:56 PM

I often do some proofreading and copy editing for a couple of surgeons at The Cleaveland Clinic here in the States. I asked the person I know to put me in touch with someone that does the surgery there. (The Cleaveland Clinic is one of the better hospitals in the North East of the U.S.).

He said that the clinic follows up with clients who have had the surgery and over 90% are happy they had the surgery and would consider it successful. He referred me to this web page:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...unnel-syndrome

I hope that answers some questions for you.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:10 PM

I had the surgery on my right thumb 20 plus years ago. It cured the problem and has not come back. I had a steroid injection in my left thumb that did nothing to help.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 08-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Default Thanks for this info on carpal tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
I often do some proofreading and copy editing for a couple of surgeons at The Cleaveland Clinic here in the States. I asked the person I know to put me in touch with someone that does the surgery there. (The Cleaveland Clinic is one of the better hospitals in the North East of the U.S.).

He said that the clinic follows up with clients who have had the surgery and over 90% are happy they had the surgery and would consider it successful. He referred me to this web page:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...unnel-syndrome

I hope that answers some questions for you.
TENZIN -- thanks for providing that link on carpal tunnel recovery. I just had the endoscopic procedure last Monday afternoon, and had immediate relief from the tingling and pain. However, I still have some numbness and pain in the wrist area, and my doctor did not tell me much about recovery time. This Cleveland Clinic info was more informative, so I will continue to be patient and see how it goes.

Bourgeois OMS Walnut/Redwood
Bourgeois 00 Pao Rosewood/Italian
Taylor K16ce Fall Limited Koa/Cedar
Old 08-17-2019, 03:00 PM

Outpatient in at 10A.M. ,___ ate lunch at home!

Left hand was bandaged for about a week, so bought a cheap reso and played with simple bar stuff. I think I recovered when I found out the wife was considering filing for divorce from the pain the cacophony was causing! ****, I was just getting the hang of the "Wabash Cannonball" too!

Fog
Old 08-20-2019, 04:26 AM

I've had bilateral endoscopic carpal tunnel releases (I think they were about a month apart)

Like others, very quick recuperation and definite improvement in symptoms.
However, after a year or two I started having milder symptoms again.
We assume it's scarring. I haven't had anything else done, just have to be mindful about overusing my wrists...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic