The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Hey Gerry,

No, no I have never heard nor heard of Red Eye. It might be the greatest pre on the planet. I am CLEARLY not in a position to judge what it does or doesn't do as I have no first hand experience.

My reaction/response was to the comment of the Pen being "un-useful"..not dissing anyone else's product.
Hi Joseph,

Yeah, I'd agree that the Pen would not have the following it has if everyone found it unuseful.

I should have stated it in my post but the Red Eye comment was not in response to your post but just a general comment I was making.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Donh, are you referring to the SPS-1 I bought from you a few years back? It was indeed noisy, but it was an extremely old unit, apparently one of the first made, and had been around the block more than once. I sent it into Greg, he fixed a few things - there was a bad power supply cap, and he upgraded the chips to what he's using now, and the result is very quiet.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Donh, are you referring to the SPS-1 I bought from you a few years back? It was indeed noisy, but it was an extremely old unit, apparently one of the first made, and had been around the block more than once. I sent it into Greg, he fixed a few things - there was a bad power supply cap, and he upgraded the chips to what he's using now, and the result is very quiet.
I was wondering if your noise issue with your SPS-1 ever got resolved after we chatted about it via e-mail earlier this year. The SPS-1's made before 1997 are slightly different than the current ones. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to get repaired and updated?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I think it was around $300 to get it repaired and brought up to current specs
Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Donh, are you referring to the SPS-1 I bought from you a few years back?
yup.

I am glad you were able to get it repaired to your satisfaction.

It is pleasing to me to know that not all of these units are as noisy as the one I sampled, but I still take exception to the user-interface and signal-chain layout. I hope that the other posters understand that my opinion is intended as just that - an opinion (I'd like to think it's a considered one!) rather than a total condemnation of a revered product line.

Nothing is the total answer for everyone, nor can it be.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
yup.

I am glad you were able to get it repaired to your satisfaction.

It is pleasing to me to know that not all of these units are as noisy as the one I sampled, but I still take exception to the user-interface and signal-chain layout. I hope that the other posters understand that my opinion is intended as just that - an opinion (I'd like to think it's a considered one!) rather than a total condemnation of a revered product line.

Nothing is the total answer for everyone, nor can it be.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification