The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 PM

I've been building and inlaying guitars for 17 straight years now. In 2016 will be my twentieth year building...I'm going to plan something really over the top. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there

I put the crank out window on the right side. the left side will be closed and you'll see the moon through the glass which will be the 'smoke and mirrors' inlay technique that Harvey Leach pioneered.

I've done another version of this about four years ago on this inlay. These are 'Glass Wing Butterflies'. They are a true species of butterfly and you can literally see through their wing. So I thought that would be cool on this inlay. As you "roll the piece", because of the iridesence of the shell, you can see through it at some points and others you can't.

I guess I should show the entire fingerboard inlay sometime.

Hope you all have a super night.

Kevin.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 AM

Beautiful work of art. Have a good night.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 AM

Ah Kevin, you are setting a standard too high! I can't imagine how much time you must spend to get the results you do. Wait, I can imagine it and that is just frightening.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ng View Post
Beautiful work of art. Have a good night.
Thanks Paul. Thank you.

Kevin.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martint View Post
Ah Kevin, you are setting a standard too high! I can't imagine how much time you must spend to get the results you do. Wait, I can imagine it and that is just frightening.
martint - ha, thanks. I spend A LOT of time getting it right. Sometimes I have to redo it to achieve those results . I'm willing.

Thanks again - hope you have a great evening.

Kevin.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM

Default the new truss covers

I double posted last night so the first part of this is post #75 before the inlay stuff (page 5 I believe). Anyway, continued here.

Each neck is done in stages and the jigs index off one another. So the headstock overlay is added. This sticks up proud. I index off that. Conversely I can get great results on the purflings and bindings coming off the "ears" going "under the fingerboard". It really makes that transition smooth.

The neck indexes at the headstock overlay.

This is a picture prior to the rout

Here is the routed piece

This is a good look after the "spline" jig is removed.

And here is the nice clean rout. Perfectly centered and over the nut in the right location 100% of the time . Looks good.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 AM

Default the truss cover

Here is the final group of pictures that show what I'm trying to accomplish with these jigs/fixtures.

Here is en ebony blank ready for the first rout.

Here I have routed the first ebony piece and moved it to the "back" side of the jig where the other rout is made, and I've put another blank in the first spot. So I can rotate them through the jig.

This picture shows the completed routing process on the two little parts.

Here are the truss rod cover plates that I will install recessed.

Here are a couple pics with different angles showing the nice snug fit.

Hopefully your finding this interesting. Hope you all have a nice afternoon.

Kevin.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM

I couldn't work out what was going on here and then I got to the last pic, saw the Walk by Faith, went back to the top and went through the pics again and got it. Phew!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martint View Post
I couldn't work out what was going on here and then I got to the last pic, saw the Walk by Faith, went back to the top and went through the pics again and got it. Phew!
martint - nice eye...I'd better be careful from now on 'where' I take the pics . That one is ok - some of the scribbles are "not" haha.

Glad you were able to figure out or "track" what I was doing.

I've got a ways to go here on this build yet...so I'll keep posting.

Hope everyone has a great night.

Kevin.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM

Default adjustable intonation bridge

Here are a couple looks at my Adjustable Acoustic Saddle bridge. It is patent pending.

The saddles are INDIVISIBLE from the bridge base. Its light weight, the saddles are bone and I leverage the break angle the same way a slot bridge does.

I engineered this so the typical compensated "angle" is "pre-set" so the amount of adjustment is minimal. Then the string termination points were "pre-set" to this same compensated angle to maintain the break angle.

I have a couple more things up my sleeve with this bridge..

Hope you all have a most excellent day.

Kevin.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Hey Kevin, not to get off topic but do you have a full pic of the stained top? Looks like a stained bearclaw spruce ish..
Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks Lavrov View Post
Hey Kevin, not to get off topic but do you have a full pic of the stained top? Looks like a stained bearclaw spruce ish..
Maks - yes it is bear claw spruce translucent black, with my bursting technique.

Glad you like it.

Kevin.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Hi Kevin,

Did you do all the inlay yourself?
Very impressive!!
I am a lover of inlays!!
2013 Martin 000-45ECM
2018 GS Mini Walnut
Kostal German/Braz

Gone to a better place:
1999 Applause guitar (Given away)
1997 Taylor 912ce Cindy
2005 Jeff Yong JJ Euro/Macassar
2006 Doerr Legacy German/Madagascar
2009 Simon Fay OM Redwood/Koa
Omega GC on order
2011 Collings OM2H
2013 Collings 0-42G
2003 Olson Cedar/IRW
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Hi Kevin,

Did you do all the inlay yourself?
Very impressive!!
I am a lover of inlays!!
Rainbow - THANK YOU!!! Yes, I do all this work, including the inlays, the engravings, the fret work, the finish work, the set up - everything is done by me. I don't send out the finish work or anything. So if you order a guitar from me you get ALL of my work . I have done a few inlays for other people, but mostly for my own guitars.

Hope you are enjoying your evening.

Kevin.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 PM

Default Headstock inlay

Here is an inlay I recently had the pleasure of doing - about three years ago.

This kind gentleman wanted me to put his dogs on the headstock and he kept talking about a sunset in the area they live. He sent me some pictures of his dogs and in the meantime I thought about how the layout might go. I figured the best way to do this was to have them standing on a dock, with the presumption that a dock light is lighting them. Then the couple is also sitting on the dock just out of this light. Instead of just making them silhouette, I engraved their detail so that the view would know what they were looking at. And I wanted them almost unnoticeable. Like they have to be pointed out to be seen. I thought this would add an extra bit of "coolness" to the viewer. If I could make changes on it now, the sunset would be shell and the waves/glare would be shell and I'd do more waves - oh well, live and learn.

Here are the pics.

In this first one, the pattern paper is on the people yet and there is chalk dust on there.

In this pic - the dogs are routed in but not glued in yet. Just "fitting" them here.

Here they are inlaid, engraved and the logo is put in over them for that extra bit of "coolness"

Here is the couple sitting on the dock. I've engraved the detail in them so that some detail of what you are seeing becomes apparent. I also chose this fingerboard so that the streaks in the wood might look like waves in the dark .

Here is the headstock with finish on it.

Hope you enjoy these pics. Have a great night.

Kevin.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop