The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-20-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Cars and guitars

I’ve been travelling and haven’t updated the thread for a few days. But I picked up the guitar on Wednesday. I also caught up with a couple of other Baranik players that day, which was most enjoyable. Some great guitars to play and my new 00 was passed around a lot.

The blue on my guitar was influenced by the blue Tesla that Mike has (I have a similar-coloured car back in Australia). It’s not very profound, but we both like that colour! Mike thought it would be interesting to photograph the guitar against his car, so we drove down to the beach and ate tacos while Mike took photographs:

Now, what is it like? Well the build and finish of the guitar are outstanding, as the photos show. Tonewise it is still a baby, having only been strung up on Monday. Of course it has the classic Baranik sound, warm and enveloping. I was hoping that with the deeper body it would not sound small or tight and Mike has definitely delivered. The guitar has oodles of openness and amazing sustain, so you have the enjoyment of playing a small body guitar that is very comfortable but without feeling you have sacrificed any sound as a result. It takes hard picking or slow fingerstyle notes with ease.

I am visiting AGF’s Cocobolo Kid right now and last night we compared it with his awesome cocobolo Baranik Meridian. The two guitars complement one another. The Meridian is six years old and smooth as silk and it has a rich sound that is not yet there in my smaller, newer guitar. In contrast, the 00 has a little more immediacy and presence. Just shows the benefits of having guitars of different body size, and while both guitars have blue spruce tops, the koa against the cocobolo also contributed to the tonal differences.

We’ll play them more today

Last edited by colins; 10-24-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new guitar...
Old 10-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Smile Baranik 00

Colin's new Baranik 00 looks even better in person, and already sounds fantastic. The blue highlights are a very nice touch. It has a bit more emphasis on the trebles than my Baranik Meridian, and would be a great compliment to anyone who already owns a larger Baranik guitar.

Colin and I also visited Ray Kraut's shop while he was here in Tucson, and we all had a great time. As usual, Ray was a gracious and informative host. Ray had just finished a couple of 00 guitars that we got to play. They are dynamic, responsive, extremely balanced, and a joy to play. My Kraut 00 build should be starting next month. I will post a build thread, of course.

I am quite envious of Colin's trip. He also spent time with Mike Baranik and Kathy Wingert, and drove to Luthier's Collection today to try out some other fine guitars.

Colin and I had a great weekend of conversation, playing guitars, listening to music and eating some nice food. Thanks Colin, and congratulations on the new Baranik 00 and the Hamblin GC you also took home!!!

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 10-23-2019, 01:43 AM
Charter Member

What great memories to take back home in your guitar case(s), Colin!! And thanks for sharing these snippets with the rest of us.

I look forward to hearing more about the Baranik and the Hamblin once you've settled down from all the excitement and have learned how to sleep at night again .
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 10-24-2019, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
What great memories to take back home in your guitar case(s), Colin!! And thanks for sharing these snippets with the rest of us.

I look forward to hearing more about the Baranik and the Hamblin once you've settled down from all the excitement and have learned how to sleep at night again .
Will do. Got home a few hours ago, after driving from Tucson to LA then flying back to Oz. The guitars got here without a scratch, but I am fighting jet lag and an 18 hour time change.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Will do. Got home a few hours ago, after driving from Tucson to LA then flying back to Oz. The guitars got here without a scratch, but I am fighting jet lag and an 18 hour time change.

Glad you’re back safe and sound. What a trip!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 11-13-2019, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Default A few "glamour" shots

The guitar is getting played every day and I am really enjoying it. It has settled a bit now that it is several weeks old and has had the benefit of a Tonerite. The comfort factor of a 00 is a big plus but it doesn’t seem to sacrifice any sound because of the small size. Great tone, sustain and volume. Nice, sensitive top so my light touch still achieves a full sound.

The sound is always the main thing, but the visual aspects of a guitar are also good fun. Mike took some photos of the guitar just before I left with it and he’s just sent me a few. So here are the “glamour” shots of a very cool looking Baranik 00.

First the overall look:

Last edited by colins; 11-13-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Headstock (buckeye burl with metallic blue resin, and stabilised buckeye burl and koa buttons)

Mike’s pinless bridge (the older design)

Old 11-13-2019, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

And finally, a few other eye-watering details. I like the way Mike has the allowed the grain of the figured maple binding to show under the blue finish. Very clever!

So, thanks for following my build thread!

And may I recommend Nemoman's new thread too. Mike has done a great job with my guitar and now I am looking forward to how he and Nemoman use that amazing green malachite on this new build.....

Col
Old 11-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Yowzah!

Wow--these shots really show some details that I hadn't noticed before! And I've seen the guitar in person!

Every different angle is like a mini composition. Love the side shot where you see the binding of the top and the back framing out the sides. And the top purfling, and the bound soundport, and the headstock with the tuner buttons, and the list goes on and on...

But as you said, the real proof is in the sound--and it sounds like this 00 really responds to your touch. So glad this guitar is treating you right, Colin. Sounds like you and Blue will be making beautiful music for many years to come!

And thanks for the plug--I can't wait to see what Mike does on my Meridian...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-13-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Stunning...love the overall look and the blue is supercool! I bet she sounds wonderful...!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 11-13-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Gorgeous details! Congrats on a stunner of a guitar.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-13-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Stunningly beautiful guitar. Love the blue. Very classy.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

This has been one of my favorite build threads to read and pine over. All I can say is magnificent!
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 11-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone

It is amazing how much the guitar has improved (settled-in? mellowed?) in sound in the month since it was first strung up. Hopefully I will get around to recording it in coming weeks, as I think the sound is getting more representative of its potential.

Col

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop