The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-19-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Queen City Guitar Builds 2019

Late in the game for starting a build thread for the year, but better late than never...

Between other projects I have begun work on a black walnut bodied guitar, of a model I call an rb-0 (reminiscent in shape of a late 20's gibson L-1). I've built with a few varieties of walnut in the past, black walnut, claro walnut and a Peruvian walnut that I am hoping to string up in August and I am excited to be building with walnut again as I always seem to really enjoy the finished guitars.

The top will be the last bit of Sitka from a slab I have had kicking around for a few years. About a year ago I strung up two guitars made with tops cut from the same slab and I remain absolutely in love with the way they sound. There is just a certain something about both guitars, even though they do not sound particularly similar to each other (different shapes, scales, bridges, and final bracing dimensions, I'd be surprised if they did) I am hoping that I am right and the top is that little something extra about those guitars.

The neck and purling will be Spanish cedar, I will be making fine line purfling in the shop for this guitar.

I'll post progress as it comes, though I am just getting started and about to take a couple weeks out of the shop.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:10 AM

Well the 2nd half of 2019 sailed by and 2020 is sailing as well. It has been a somewhat challenging last 10 or so months for guitar building on my end to say nothing of this current pandemic. I have gotten a lot done on this guitar I had begun and posted about however, nearly all of it in fact.

Owning to slow progress and letting my sponsorship here slip I obviously didn't post the build here (though I did make some youtube videos featuring myself, my cluttered shop and this guitar build). I thought that now that I am back as a sponsor here I would post a few shots before I run off for some extremely socially distanced backpacking. I am planning on spraying this guitar when I return. Maybe I will do better at posting updates.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:09 PM

Looking good! Did you do a hot sand fade technique on the rosette and end graft wood?
Old 06-24-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Foster View Post
Well the 2nd half of 2019 sailed by and 2020 is sailing as well. It has been a somewhat challenging last 10 or so months for guitar building on my end to say nothing of this current pandemic. I have gotten a lot done on this guitar I had begun and posted about however, nearly all of it in fact.

Owning to slow progress and letting my sponsorship here slip I obviously didn't post the build here (though I did make some youtube videos featuring myself, my cluttered shop and this guitar build). I thought that now that I am back as a sponsor here I would post a few shots before I run off for some extremely socially distanced backpacking. I am planning on spraying this guitar when I return. Maybe I will do better at posting updates.

Really loving the binding and purfling on this one!
Old 07-10-2020, 05:34 PM

Thanks Dion, I was a little nervous about the final look of it, the graduated lines and how wide the purfling is, but I really like it now that it is in.

TomB'sox, thanks. I did sand shade the rosette and the endgraft/backstrip. My first time experimenting with that technique.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop