The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-30-2019, 02:31 PM

This is going to be another beautiful Baranik, I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it come together.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the nice words folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRF View Post
This is a great thread and I must admit I had to google sapwood to see exactly what is was you guys were talking about and just want to know if there is any tonal or stability differences between the boards if they consist of both sapwood and heartwood.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

A builder could answer your sapwood question better than me, but here is my 2 cents anyway:

Never seen it in top wood.

In the sides, Mike has it matched with a layer of wenge, a very hard wood, so that the sides have considerable rigidity overall and act to support the top and the back (which do all the tone making)

On the back? I do have sapwood on another of my Baraniks – which has an African blackwood back and sides. The sapwood provides a nice visual contrast to the darker wood and the guitar still has all of the characteristics associated with ABW as a tonewood – a rich, dark and creamy tone. Stability-wise, the guitar is 11 years old now and showing no signs that the sapwood (which is along the join) is causing problems. I haven't asked Mike about it but I am sure that he only uses sapwood if it is stable so I am guessing that while it looks different it doesn't act too different?

Col

Last edited by colins; 05-31-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I like wood that has a bit of character and even what others might think of as blemishes. It reminds me that the wood was once part of a living tree out in a forest somewhere.
Part of a complex ecosystem even ... I hope the critter that left the trace in the middle has remained in the forest!

Quote:
For my build he suggested a couple of different woods for the ‘inside’ layer, including wenge.
So ... is that just a fancy way to say you'll have a guitar with expensive laminate sides?

I love these build threads, would love to be able to work wood like this myself, and wonder why I never realised that early enough...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-31-2019, 02:42 AM

Thanks Col. Appreciated.

Paul
Old 06-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Nothing like seeing a Baranik build come together!
Old 06-03-2019, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

El Conquistador and I are men of great taste. Proof? Here's some more koa sapwood, this time on my Retreux Parlor.

1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 06-06-2019, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Update time!

A “kerf” is a cut made by a saw and it lends its name to kerfing, the flexible wood strips that are attached to the sides of the guitar as a glue point for the subsequent attachment of the back and the top. Here is how Mike uses it:

Mike is putting a small shoulder bevel on my 00 and he builds the base for this using multiple layers of kerfing:

Mike says he picked up this approach from Kathy Wingert, via Isaac Jang. He likes it as it gives him a top that is livelier than a single, carved piece for wood, which is an alternative base for a shoulder bevel.

Col
Old 06-06-2019, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
.....So ... is that just a fancy way to say you'll have a guitar with expensive laminate sides? ....
Ha ha, well said! If a laminate, at any price point, gives a good result then let's go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
El Conquistador and I are men of great taste. Proof? Here's some more koa sapwood, this time on my Retreux Parlor.

Hi DT, I forgot you had that beauty. Bring it over to the US when I pick up mine and we'll do a comparison!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

With the kerfing in place it’s time to attach the back. This first image is a kind of like death by clamps …..

It looks a bit less scary in the close ups……

Mike is working on ideas for the rosette and the face of the headstock now, so I hope to share them next.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 AM

Conjures up a tasty image

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:08 AM
*mahoganut*

Col - all lookin' great as always! Illuminating to see the multiple kerf as base for the bevel. I know Mike was "agin' 'em" previously - perhaps this recovers some of the top "real estate" (or at least some liveliness of that part of the top) lost by the solid base of other methods.

I'll be *very* interested in how the OO with the extra 1/4" depth sounds - although the koa may be wildcard enough that any comparison would be very limited. My Kingwood build - OO, extra depth - will follow this build structurally (not at all sure where I fall in the queue) so I'm hoping Mike learns from your build and applies it forward!

Neck - solid mahogany? Anything special on the fretboard? EVO frets, I presume? How about any special carved tuner buttons (koa would be great!! or maple...).

I still like your aborigine-inspired design he uses on headstock overlays (not always, but frequently!). Any special thoughts on those designs?

I am still enjoying my Boswell Koa/Redwood OO... hoping you end up with as tonally stunning a OO as it clearly already is visually!

Best,
Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Hi Phil,

I was hooked on the deeper body as soon as I played Al’s PXd. Will mine sound the same? I’ll find out soon and that’s part of the excitement! The first two guitars that Mike built me are incredible and I know this one will be too.

I don’t know what Mike is doing for the neck. I just asked him to replicate the profile from my other Baraniks. I did not push for maple or any other really snazzy wood, so I guess it will be mahogany again.

Definitely EVO frets. Tuner buttons are probably going to be resin to match some of his other cool ideas, which are being developed at present (cue mysterious music to signify deep intrigue before subsequent exciting publication of details ).

We don’t look like using the same headstock design but we might dip our hat to the rosette design. I emailed him about this a few days ago but have not heard back – either he is busy trying out my suggestion or he is still laughing at it!

I am looking forward to having a koa guitar. My previous build was the E by Kathy Wingert in Madagascar rosewood and that has all the rosewood richness in overdrive. So I am wanting the 00 to give a contrasting sound, more like my walnut Baranik with its dry, woody tone.

Would love to try your Boswell one day. I am fascinated by that wood combo.

Col
Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Conjures up a tasty image

Haven't seen one of those for a while! We used to collect them as kids when we lived near the sea, but I could never bring myself to eat one. My Dad didn't mind, as it meant he got to eat more.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Ornamentation

Time to give some thought to the ornamentation on the guitar. I told Mike that I would like some burl and also that I would like dark blue on the guitar. With those rather vague guidelines from me, Mike got to thinking……

….And ideas are being formed. Here is a piece of burl that Mike is working with. The blue grey wood in the burl can actually be useful as a contrast with the white of the spruce top.

And again, cut into slices.

Mike had the idea of combining the burl and the dark blue, so here is the burl “flooded” with resin that is infused with blue colouring and metallic flakes. The resin settles into the holes and indentations that are naturally present in the burl wood.

And with a bit of sanding back, it starts to give some amazing effects.

The next stage is to see how this approach can be worked into a rosette and a headstock, and matched with binding and purfling.

More soon folks!
Col
Old 06-22-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Cool!

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop