The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 02:36 PM

Default 1934 Pre-War Martin 0-17

I just bought a banner-era Gibson (see thread in the forum) and a pre-CBS Fender, so I'm going to reluctantly have to let go of my last (for now) remaining Martin.

It's a 1934 Martin 0-17 all-mahogany model. This is a great example of a pre-war Martin that has had all the TLC that these almost always need already done to it (see below). It appears to have had a separation at the center seam that was repaired prior to my ownership and is now stable.

It was in decent shape when I got it, but I had the following work professionally done by Jason Burns in November-December 2017 (I can provide some pics of the process to you if you're interested):
  • refret
  • neck reset
  • new bridge/saddle
  • new bone nut
  • re-glue a couple of loose braces

1934 was the first year that Martin started using the steel T-bar truss rod and this one has that, so the neck is very sturdy. The open-back Grover tuners turn easily and hold tuning well. As you probably already know, the top, back, and sides are mahogany, which gives it a really nice warm tone. I especially like it for playing lead, but it also sounds great fingerstyle as well as strummed. The action is very comfortable and the frets are still in excellent shape. Following the neck reset and refret, it really does play fantastically.

Weight is 3 lbs, 8.2 oz.

The neck is a soft V shape with approximately 1.75" width at the nut. Here are the neck thickness measurements:
  • 1st fret: 0.838"
  • 7th fret: 1.014"
  • 12th fret: 1.076"

Sale includes a hardshell case, which is quite old, but not original. It looks like it was intended for a 00-sized guitar. It's in great shape structurally, but some of the covering is starting to peel at the edges.

Asking $3250 PP/shipped ConUS.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:44 PM

wonderful

GLWTS
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
acoustic, guitar, martin, parlor, pre-war