The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Heroes - Mentors of AGF

There are So many wonderful Mentors on AGF, who have freely offered up their lifetime of experience covering every aspect of the acoustic guitar. I have formed some great relations with many of the members.
This is a shout out to an exceptional AGF Mentor & Guitar Hero = Doug Young.
I had the extreme pleasure of spending an afternoon with Doug a couple of days ago. We experimented with various microphone placements & recording techniques.
There is nothing more revealing like first hand experimentation. I learned so much in just a short time.
And all the time Doug and I were just like little kids, smiling, laughing and excited to explore any and all dimensions involving the process of recording acoustic guitar.
A super guitarist - but more importantly; possibly the nicest, most helpful, friendliest Acoustic guitar person I have ever met, with not a drop of ego anywhere to be found.
For those of you not familiar with Doug, he has a great You tube channel displaying some of his music, guitar instruction and valuable recording techniques.
Thanks so much Doug! You are forever Young when you play your acoustic guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo...sTuJV_lOhDGLBQ
Old 05-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Doug Young has been a longtime asset to the AGF! I have always appreciated his contributions to the AGF. He is a classy guy and he is one classy guitar player, as well!

- Glenn
Old 05-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Doug has been a friendly supporter of many of us. 15 years ago when I was considering ordering a custom Wingert, he graciously agreed to meet me and let me check out his Wingert. He is s wonderful player, composer, and arranger. And a fine teacher. A classy guy for sure.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

My ears are burning (and I'm blushing). Thanks all. Victor, it was great to meet you, always fun to hang out and mess around in the studio!
Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

That's awesome! I'm hoping to find some other players around me I could play and experiment with.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:00 AM

No "like" button to hit so I'm probably posting for LOTS of folks, to acknowledge Doug's contributions.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:07 AM

Just checked out Doug's channel and music. Lovely playing sir.

Gone But Not Forgotten...
Martin GPC Aura GT
FAith Venus Hi-Gloss
Old 05-29-2019, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
For those of you not familiar with Doug, he has a great You tube channel displaying some of his music, guitar instruction and valuable recording techniques.
Thanks so much Doug! You are forever Young when you play your acoustic guitar. [/INDENT]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo...sTuJV_lOhDGLBQ
So glad I found this forum and community not so long ago. What a great way to wake up and have with my 1st cup of coffee...Doug Young's instruction and playing his Leo-Kottke-style Lesson...took my worries right away (though now I want to find a 12 string while I'm just starting to thin the heard. Thank you Knives&Guitars for starting this thread and introducing me to Doug Young, thank you Doug Young and thank you AGF.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-29-2019 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Player and composer extraordinaire. Catch this!

Old 05-29-2019, 05:28 AM

I am fully in agreement with the praise for Doug Y Young - only yesterday he responded with further generous advice on my pickup question and he has done this for a great many other threads over the years.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Doug, and all you other world class players and talented pros and hobbyists who gladly share your time and talents with the AGF!
Old 05-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Default and add Eric Skye

A shout out to Doug and also to Eric Skye. I had some recording questions that I posted once and Doug took the time to send me several PM's and I was just blown away at how helpful he was. Eric is always posting great stuff here and once I asked him about how he preps his Alaska Piks and he took the time to make me a personal video showing me just that.

Two standup guys for sure that are so generous to our community.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion