The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: New Martin HD28 Reimagined or Used Bourgeois Standard D
Martin HD28 2 13.33%
Bourgeois Standard D 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2020, 03:44 AM

Default Bourgeois Standard D Dread Question

Hi there,

I am in the market for a new Rosewood Dread and was almost buying the Martin HD28 Reimagined.

Now i came cross a used Bourgeois Standard D with RW back and sides (2007) for around the same price (3000 ish €). Ive always wanted a Bourgeois Vintage D but i never found one here in Europe. Unfortunately there is almost nothing written about the Standard D online....

Does anybody already tried this model and can tell my something about it?

Would it be a upgrade to a standard Martin HD? Anything I have to look for when buying a used Bourgeois?

Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Z
Old 02-11-2020, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/b...is-standard-d/

I would imagine the difference between a Standard D (not Slope D, correct?) and the Vintage D is style and not tonewood, structure or build.

I've played a number of HD28's over the years, some sounded great, some were 'meh.' I've never played a Standard D, though I've played a few Vintage D's and owned one for a number of years. All have sounded like a kickass dreadnaught - a little bit dryer in tone then a comparable sounding Martin, with a bit more balance and, IMO, more punch. Is it an upgrade?

If you can play them both, pick the one that talks to you and wants to e your friend. If you can't, and you were me, you'd buy the Bourgeois.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:56 AM

I own a very close pair of guitars. I have a 2018 Reimagined D41 and a 2014 Bourgeois Slope D Banjo Killer that's an Adi/mahogany configuration. I know the woods and models are different but I think they're close enough to give you an accurate opinion on the guitars you're asking about. My D41 is BIG and LOUD and all up in your face as far as tone goes. It sounds fantastic but the bass can EASILY become too much and get in the way of vocals. It tends to be very bass-focused and that's predominantly the thing you hear the most of. That's where my Bourgeois is very different. It's loud too and has more volume than my Martin. It has plenty of bass but it's a very "punchy" bass that hits fast and hard and is never boomy. It's also very evenly balanced across the tonal spectrum with no one part being the center of focus. The bass is there, the mids are there and the highs are there and they blend together so well. It's also a very dynamic guitar and you hear every single note when you play. It has a Martin vibe to it tone-wise but it's the Martin sound "Enhanced"! If it were me, I'd buy the Bourgeois and never look back!! If I had it to do over again, there would be a Bourgeois Rosewood Dread in my household to go along with my Slope D instead of the Martin!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, hd28, martin, standard d