The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-23-2018, 08:50 AM

Default emerald x7 - quick soundwise question

Anyone think of a guitar to point to compare the x7 soundwise to? or anyone have any unplugged soundcloud clips of them singing with a x7? most clips on youtube are plugged in
Old 05-23-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancehallking View Post
Anyone think of a guitar to point to compare the x7 soundwise to? or anyone have any unplugged soundcloud clips of them singing with a x7? most clips on youtube are plugged in
Hi! If you're planning on buying a new X7, there's been a few changes, so what you've seen and heard are going to be a bit different. I happened to be ordering one last week and found out about the new alterations but it's not going to be shipped out for another month (mine in particular, not sure about anyone else's) so I can't tell you firsthand what it's comparable to.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I've been thinking about this and I'll be darn if I can think of any guitar that sounds like the X7...I always thought it sounded good, and then a friend played it while I listened and it sounded REALLY good from that listening position. I'm sure there's guitars this size that sound better, and a lot that sound worse. But the X7 to me, has it's own special spot for a guitar this size. It has a 1.75 nut, is contoured and comfortable to play, sounds really good, and obviously has all the advantages that CF offers. What's not to like? I will add that I pulled out the Martin Dread Jr. the other night and I do like the Martins warmer balanced tone a bit more than the X7. But, they are different, not the same, apples vs bananas thing. Then there's that PIA wood thing in our lack of humidity.
Maybe more info will get you a better answer than that. What are you looking for and what would you be comparing it to?
Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I have not recorded anything with my X7 unplugged. I love the sound of it acoustically and plugged in. My wife came into my guitar room this morning to listen while I was playing... she said, "That guitar sure sounds good in your new amp." (Bose S1)

I said to her, "I think this guitar may be the best value of any guitar I've owned - the combination of size, weight, comfort, and sound just makes me want to pick it up."
Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 PM

I can maybe shed some light on the tone question. My wife first had a GS Mini spruce, then a Mini with mahogany top, which was a noticeable tonal upgrade. Once she played a CA Cargo, her Mini promptly moved on. Now she has an X7 woody and the Cargo lives in the closet. No hurry, but Cargo will probably move on too someday.

The Cargo has more bass than the X7 - and maybe more than a guitar of that size has any right to have. The X7 has a nice warm, woody sound overall. It sounds like a smaller version of my X20 - very similar tone, scaled down to the smaller body size, and a bit quieter overall. The 24" scale of the X7 is more play-friendly for my bigger hands, without making her reach too much, and there is no substitute for those nice bevels and curves (on the Emerald).

If I were ranking them in terms of tone it would be:
1) Cargo for more bass
2) X7 for overall tone quality
3) GS Mini

If you can A-B test a Cargo and a GS Mini in the same room, the X7 would fall somewhere in between, but still in a very nice place. I cannot name a guitar that exactly replicates the X7. Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:13 PM

Here’s my tip. FWIW,

Unless you really , really , have to have a small guitar, get an X20.

I have one of each and there’s no contest. If I only had one guitar it could well be an X20 , whereas the 7 , while terrific for what it is, seems a bit limited to me.

Bit like my Waterloo WL12 vs my Martin dread , The Waterloo is a great guitar , but is a bit of a one tricker compared to the versatile and mighty Martin.

I’d put the X20 in the Pepsi challenge against pretty much anything else.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:29 PM

I just bought an X20. There is no comparison to my Rainsong. The tonality of the X20 is far and away more like a wood guitar than the Rainsong. Amplified there is no difference but acoustically there is no comparison.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Well, since we're slipping the X20 in here: my X20 is my favorite tone of any acoustic guitar I've owned (wood or carbon fiber). That said, if I was forced to choose between the X20 and the X7, it would be a touch decision. Size matters, and the size of the X20 is part of what makes it sound so good... the other part is some kind of Irish mojo that Alistair and crew are infusing into these guitars. And, size matters on the X7, as well: it is the most comfortable guitar I own, and part of that is the smaller size. And the Irish mojo stuff previously mentioned.

I know I am not the only one here who has both... and that is my real favorite.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Earl and Jon....spot on. And it would be easy for me to choose my X20 over the X7. It would be harder choosing between the Cargo and X7....probably take the Cargo. I'd take any of them over a GS Mini. Was never too impressed with the Taylor.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:18 PM

This one was recorded unpluged since I don't have a pickup in my X7:

https://soundcloud.com/rocket_song/dreams_of_dragons
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber