The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2018, 05:33 AM

Default Rich sound

Using ust pickups, with an onboard preamp. Is there a way to achieve a richer, thicker sound, both into the onstage amp and the board? Without coloring the sound of the guitar?

Every preamp I've tried seems like it takes the tone of the guitar in a different direction. I like the tone I've got right now, just need more of it.
Thanks for any thoughts, I realize this is a different way of asking a question that has been explored ad infinitum
Old 05-16-2018, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Everything colors the sound, once you go beyond the guitar acoustically. I have learned to just accept it. Pedals, amps, PA, the room - all these affect the sound. I prefer a pickup with on-board controls as opposed to a passive pickup that is going to need some kind of preamp.

A couple years ago, I added a Play Acoustic, for the Body Rez options. To me, it does "richen" the sound, but with more complexity. TC Helicon also offers the Body Rez as a separate pedal.

I am convinced that it concerns us as players more than anyone listening.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:45 AM

It's often down to quality of the instrument and the person playing it. Draw more sound out with your playing. This is a life long journey btw.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
It's often down to quality of the instrument and the person playing it. Draw more sound out with your playing. This is a life long journey btw.
Having heard Dory play several times (she is a regular contributor in the show and tell sub forum) I believe this advice is given without hearing her play.

Dory, I don’t know how exactly to help you with this issue. There are
“aural exciters” and other pedals of that nature, but I’ve no experience with them. I’ve always strived to get that rich tone with the guitar, the pickup, and whatever amplification I’m using. I’m a big fan of the Baggs full anthem pickup system, but that’s my taste. I do think they make a nylon string version, or at least they did at one time. Just as important though, is the Amplifier. You can absolutely get a very rich and full sound through a P.A. But if you are gigging, trying to accomplish this with the house P.A. gets to be problematic.

I’m sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 05-16-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Having heard Dory play several times (she is a regular contributor in the show and tell sub forum) I believe this advice is given without hearing her play.
Tele, unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of hearing Dory play, and I wasn't being flip about it. There is a lot one can do just with how you set the volume and muting, etc.

It is often good to turn the guitar up louder and control the output by playing soft, and/or muting with both hands to control the volume. This often has a thickening effect and gets a punchier sound out. Helps with piezo quack too.

Increasing the mid-range frequencies a bit can help too.

I can also recommend a Red-Eye pre-amp. They work very well, especially if you are feeding a pa that you are not in control off. Heaven forbid...
Old 05-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Pnewsome-nor was I.

But I did have the op confused with someone else! My apologies.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification