The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-19-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Smallest CF guitar?

Are there any CF guitars smaller than the Rainsong Parlor? CF is perfect for backpacking, but the parlor is a bit large to carry into the desert or mountains.

I am starting to think maybe I should start playing mandolin as a 2nd instrument... perfect size for backpacking.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Journey OF660. Fits into a 22x14x9 inch (FAA approved for carry-on) backpack soft case. If you like the size and are cool with attaching the neck when ready to play (easy and quick to do), you can't find a smaller form factor for travel at that price range. If those would be issues for you, the Emerald X7 might be an alternative that's slightly smaller than the Rainsong parlor. I'll be getting one within 2 months, and can report on size vs my Rainsong parlor.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:32 PM

I'm not sure how the Alpaca Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar compares in size to the Rainsong Parlor.

http://alpacaguitar.com/alpaca-carbo...travel-guitar/
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 02-19-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:37 PM

Emerald X7 is smaller (slightly) The X5 (discontinued) was quite a bit smaller yet.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-19-2017, 01:40 PM

The Blackbird Rider is smaller than the Rainsong Parlor. The Rider is wonderful.
Barb
Old 02-19-2017, 01:51 PM

I have no experience with the KLOS guitar but the price point for backpacking looks interesting.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

CF guitars are so expensive I resist taking mine to beach or camping... mosty in case travel for me...

Also a while back there was a facebook post from outdoor uke that they were working on a hybrid baritone/back packer guitar that you could order with different necks 4 string baritone/6 string guitar.

A big fan of their tenor uke as I could never bring my beloved blackbird CF uke to any adventurous outside place given the cost... the outdoor uke is a trooper and do not care if it gets scratched or beat a little. It keeps on strumming.. :-)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
The Blackbird Rider is smaller than the Rainsong Parlor. The Rider is wonderful.
Barb
This is your answer, Builder. When I need something small, it's my Rider that I take along. It's not only smaller than the others suggested, but it sounds more like a full size guitar than any of them. I bought my Rider the first year Joe started building them, and I've been traveling with mine ever since. Killer tone, standard short scale, and as easy to pack as a tennis racket. What else could you ask for?

BTW, someone came in to the store with an Alpaca last year, and as a former travel guitar collector, I was naturally interested to try this elusive guitar. Sadly I was a bit disappointed. I found the Alpaca bulkier, and heavier than what I would expect from a guitar advertised for backpacking, and the tone was rather lack luster. In fairness to the folks at Alpaca, the one I tried was pretty grungy, and I believe it was an early model they offered through their Kickstarter page for $399, so I wouldn't mind tryin one of the new ones before writing them off completely.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Guest 928

I ride with Ted on this one. The Rider is an amazing instrument. It's not just that it's portable and playable, the Rider is genuinely sound-full. I had the nylon version and it competed with much bigger guitars in both tone and projection.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Surprised no one's mentioned the Cargo. Significantly smaller and a very full sound.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 PM

In order of my personal preference:
- Blackbird Rider
- CA Cargo
- Blackbird Savoy (new and not yet played)
- Rainsong Parlor

I've had a new Blackbird Lucky 13 for about six months now and also got to play all of their guitars last April at a festival. The Rider has a different shape and form factor but a surprisingly large and clear voice. You would find it satisfying as a travel guitar, and likely for regular use too. Either a strap or a Neck Up device is needed to get it into proper playing position, but both options work fine. Rider gives you the benefits of carbon fiber in a package that is roughly the same size as a tenor ukulele.

I've played the Rainsong Parlor on several occasions, and it is quite nice and comfortable to hold. But already owning a WS-1000 and a CA Cargo (and now a Blackbird Lucky 13) my needs are covered and I don't really see the point.

The Savoy is brand new from the NAMM show last month, and is essentially a parlor sized cutaway guitar made with eKoa - a unique linen composite instead of carbon fiber. The Blackbird eKoa guitars and ukes I have played are all stellar and sound very loud and woody in tone. Savoy will be *very* interesting, although I'm not really in that market. Any parlor guitar would probably be a little large for backpacking, IMO.

CA Cargo is very nice, but some don't like its short 22.75" scale length. To approximate that, put a capo on the second fret of a regular scale guitar. Cargo also sounds much bigger than it should. From across the room when my wife plays hers, I don't miss anything tonally versus the other larger guitars. For comparison, once she got the Cargo her Taylor GS Mini was never touched again until it sold. Cargo sounds better and is more ergonomic to hold than the Mini was.

Emerald guitars get nothing but rave reviews here. I have never played one, but I am seriously contemplating the sight-unseen order of a 6/12 double neck they call Chimaera. Their X7 is a small portable guitar with a reportedly wonderful voice.

I have no direct experience with the Journey OF-660 but for take-down and regular travel it seems hard to beat and the sound / playability are well regarded here in CF land.

Hope this helps.....
Old 02-20-2017, 01:04 AM

Have to agree with everyone the best sounding is the Blackbird rider... hands down... regretted selling mine trying to get down to "one" guitar because of it's shape. If one comes around used... I would/ will jump on it. Miss the little critter with the big sound!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Surprised no one's mentioned the Cargo. Significantly smaller and a very full sound.
The CA Cargo is a fantastic travel guitar, one with a surprisingly big voice, but the OP is asking for a backpacking guitar and it's just too big, and more importantly too heavy for that. The Rider is small enough, and light enough for backpacking, and as a bonus, it has amazing tone. Yes, it's expensive, but worth every penny.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I have watched this thread; interest from afar to see what people came up with. There is a big difference between traveling and backpacking. A guitar that works for "traveling" may still be too big to haul along for backpacking... where every ounce and square inch of stuff adds to the weight... and taking one thing means leaving another behind.

There are some activities that aren't conducive to guitar playing: scuba diving, for instance. Oh, sure, you can enjoy a guitar on the boat when you're done, but you have no use for one during the activity. From my perspective, even a Martin Backpacker isn't great for backpacking. A harmonica makes more sense.

Now, if you are taking a day hike, and want to play your guitar at a beautiful scenic stop, there are a number of guitars that have a comfortable gig bag with backpack straps that would do the job.

I'll be waiting for you at the campsite. In a comfortable chair, playing a comfortable guitar. Not too far from the motor home.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
..I'll be waiting for you at the campsite. In a comfortable chair, playing a comfortable guitar. Not too far from the motor home.
I'm with you, Jim. But I will say that I spent many years camping in an RV, and although there was room for a full, or 3/4 size guitar, I usually just take my Rider with me. The one exception was our trip to Alaska a few years ago. Four of us chartered a 54' Nordic Tug to cruise the inland waterways for a week, which meant with the Captain and his wife, there would be only six of us on this rather spacious yacht, so I decided to bring my Rainsong Parlor instead of the Rider. Can't that the Grizzlies cared for my playing, but I sure had fun.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:24 PM

Smallest CF Guitar ?

I just checked for basic dimensions at the websites for the Alpaca, Blackbird Rider Steel, CA Cargo, Emerald X7 and Rainsong Parlor guitars.
I believe I transcribed the information correctly.

Alpaca........ 32.25" long,__ 11" wide,____ 3.5" deep ____2.9 pounds
Rider Steel.. 35.5" long,___ 10.5" wide,__ 4.25" deep, ___3 pounds
Cargo. ........34.978" long, _13.328" wide_ 3.685" deep, __no weight listed
Emerald X7. 34" long,_____ 13- 3/8" wide, 3-3/4" deep,__3.5 pounds
RS P12........37.78"long____13.34" wide,_4.125" deep,___no weight listed

I agree with Jim, depending on the back packing situation, a harmonica in the pocket maybe better than back packing a guitar.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 02-21-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added RS Parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber