The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
And I couldn't disagree with you more. If you really can't hear a difference between an MMV and an HD-28 or D-35 you do not have very discerning ears for Martins.

You may well prefer the MMV, that's fine, but guitars with different bracing and materials cannot "sound the same", that defies the laws of physics. MMV's are very nice guitars for the money, but they don't sound like standard Martins, the bracing makes it impossible before you even get to the woods and materials.

MMV's sound like MMV's, nothing like HD-28s, but again folks can prefer what they will.

To the OP, in that price range I would also look at Takamine, they are very strong in the acoustic/electric market, and I'm a Martin homer.......
The MMV has east indian rosewood back and sides with sitka spruce top. Mine does have an ebony fingerboard, now they come with richlite, and it does have the A frame bracing. It reminds a lot bit of an HD28, but it's a slightly differant. If you can't hear the similarities then you are probably what's called a "traditionalist", or a "cork sniffer". The A frame bracing really let's the top vibrate and you get a great sound from it. It's similar to the bracing that Tacoma use to use.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 AM

I've played all of these. Owned the Martin model for a year. Here is my take.

The Martin GP sounds like a Martin, the electronics are excellent. Can't go wrong here.

The Yamaha is a fantastic guitar, very Taylor sounding. Great electronics. This is your best value!

The Gibson, my experience is you can put 15 brand new J35s in a room and 6 of them will sound dead, 2 of them will sound good, and 2 will be amazing. You need to play it first.

The Taylor. The build quality will be excellent, the consistency will be excellent, the pure acoustic tone will be great if you like the Taylor tone, the electronics.....ugh, hate the ES, however the new ES2 is much better.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:12 AM

The yamaha, albeit a wonderful sounding guitar has a very narrow nut (my 2 cents).

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 04-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Thank you for your advices. They helped a lot.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I've played all of these.
The Gibson, my experience is you can put 15 brand new J35s in a room and 6 of them will sound dead, 2 of them will sound good, and 2 will be amazing. You need to play it first.
Hey Horse Man ! Where did you hide the other 5 Gibsons? You take'm home for yourself?

Would agree with this mostly though. It's sad for Gibson though, because they are so unpredictable, I rarely try them. Which makes me even more surprised when I find a nice one. They are there, but they're hit and miss.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
Hey Horse Man ! Where did you hide the other 5 Gibsons? You take'm home for yourself?

Would agree with this mostly though. It's sad for Gibson though, because they are so unpredictable, I rarely try them. Which makes me even more surprised when I find a nice one. They are there, but they're hit and miss.
Oops....I meant 10!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin GPCPA4 vs Yamaha AC3R vs Gibson J-35 vs Taylor 320e

PLease send email for requested photos for gpcpa4r.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 PM

Play them all plugged in and see which one sounds the best to you. Since that is the primary mode of play you mentioned, that is how you should do your testing. When you plug in, it's more about the pickup system and its installation than it is about the guitar itself.

The Taylors with the 2010-2013 version of the expression system sound the best to my ears plugged in. That's the system they are still putting in the 300 series, so you are good to go there, but ymmv as far as preference.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymartind35 View Post
You can pick up a brand new A3R for 8 bills and that's pretty inexpensive. These guitars aren't cheap and you couldn't give me 2 Taylors for it. I liked mine so much, I bought an AC3R. They are solid-wood guitars. Spruce over rosewood with mahogany binding. The open-pore neck feels like no other guitar. Go play one for a few hours and I bet you buy it. It's a Yamaha. What if I called Taylor's Tay-tays or Martins Marty's. Respect the name. They're not nicknames. These Yamahas are the first built exclusively FOR the American market and mine have opened up and they sound sweet. Gibsons cost too much for what you get. Same with Martin. I really never cared for Taylors. IF you want to save money and get a great guitar, go with the A-series. A3 solid. A1 laminate.
Hey martind35, was this directed to me?
Sorry if I offended you, didn't mean to.
They're not nicknames? Wow. We use nicknames up here.
I go by Jimi, not James. My wife is Cathy, not Catherine.
You should contact Don McLean and demand he change his million dollar song words "drove my Chevy to the levy" to "drove my Chevrolet to the levy" so you don't lose any sleep.
My apologies again.
I love Yamaha musical instruments.
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM

All good choices. The Taylor might have quicker and better resale.

I know none of us ever resell a guitar. But I have had better and quicker sales with used Taylors.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi O View Post
Hey martind35, was this directed to me?
Sorry if I offended you, didn't mean to.
They're not nicknames? Wow. We use nicknames up here.
I go by Jimi, not James. My wife is Cathy, not Catherine.
You should contact Don McLean and demand he change his million dollar song words "drove my Chevy to the levy" to "drove my Chevrolet to the levy" so you don't lose any sleep.
My apologies again.
I love Yamaha musical instruments.
It's all cool. I'm 55 years-old and people call me "Mikey". I added the "y" to a friends last name and he lost it. I then said, "Why do you call me Mikey?" He didn't do it again.

1979 Martin D-35, 1978 Yamaha G230 classical, Yamaha A3R VS, Yamaha AC3R VS, Yamaha LS16 ARE sunburst, Yamaha NCX1200R Classical, Wechter TO-8418, Wechter DN 8128, Takamine EG334C.][/COLOR]
Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Love my A3R, reach for it more than my Martin... Yes nut is slighly narrower than the Martin, but for strumming it has excellent action, but can fingerpick it just fine also... If my money to spend, AC3R would be my choice...
2013 Taylor 114e
Old 04-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilfc0315 View Post
Need your help on deciding my next acoustic electric purchase. I mainly play for my church so I would need a good electric system to hook up to the pa, hence a good acoustic sounding guitar never hurts. I would say that strumming is my main style but I do finger pick as well. I cannot choose between these 4 beautiful guitars. I played them in few different stores but to my ears, they all sound fantastic. Wish I can take all home but I only have enough budget to buy one guitar. I usually go with my instinct but since I joined this forum, I want to hear what you all would say. Which one should I go for? It will help me make my decision as there are many guitarists who have more experiences with acoustics. Please help!
Try a Breedlove passport. Ill bet money you'll walk out with it if you do.

Price is sooo low for what you get!
2014 Gibson J-35 Collector's Edition #1

Sold
2014 Taylor 816ce First Edition
2014 Gibson J-35
2014 Martin D-15m
2014 Taylor 320
2014 Martin HD-28V
2014 Martin D-17M
2008 Martin Custom D
2003 Taylor 410ce
Old 04-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Default +1 Taylor

Another vote for the Taylor - I've been really impressed with the 300-series I've played. Most recently a 324....

Good luck
Fender Baja Tele
Old 04-14-2014, 01:12 PM

The Gibson for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, martin, taylor, yamaha