The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 PM

Default This "beater" is a keeper, and the $100 mistake.

I wouldn't call myself a guitar player. I'm having trouble forming three major chords and switching between them. I am less than a beginner, if that is possible. I've owned two Ukuleles for several months and was having a blast with them. As a result, I decided to take the plunge into guitar a couple of months ago.

My first guitar purchase was a Martin 000-17SM. Just wonderful!

However, I am a truck driver at the moment. It is crowded in the truck and things get knocked around. I also tend to run the desert southwest (extremely low humidity) an awful lot. As a result, "Fairuza" spends a whole lot more time in the case than in my hands. My practice time has been rare.

To remedy that, I decided to get an inexpensive guitar I wouldn't cry over should it shrivel into a prune like state, turn to ash, and float away.

Yesterday, in haste, I bought a Samick D-1 Bennett something or other. It looked nice, was full on laminate, and seemed like it would fit the bill for just learning chords. I almost instantly had buyer's remorse. I spent most of the night reading glowing reviews trying to feel better about the purchase. I just was not feeling it. This particular one sounded bad. To be honest, I couldn't stand the headstock either. It did come with Grover tuners, but I just felt I had spent $169 on a guitar I was not going to be happy to live with. I had been pining for a Yamaha, but the stores in Cedar City, Utah had none. I bought the Samick in an immature fit of impatience.

I awoke this morning in El Monte, California. I tried working with the D-1 for about a half hour. Then I put it down, entered Guitar Center into the GPS... found one in Pasadena, unhooked from the trailer and bobtailed over there.

After checking in at the front desk, and a manager taking the Samick to get an estimated trade-in price, I hoofed over to the acoustic room and grabbed the guitar I'd wanted in the first place: Yamaha FG700S SDB Dreadnaught. I strummed on a couple of them and found a sand burst version that just sounded and felt right.

After the horse trading was done, I got $70 for the Samick I had purchased less than 24 hours before for $169. It isn't all bad news though. I also got the right "beater" that, turns out, isn't a beater at all. It is a keeper. A real keeper.

I learned a couple of things:
1. Don't settle.
2. Be patient
3. Yamaha makes a really nice guitar for $199.
4. My Martin could use a pro setup. The Yamaha plays easier right now. I'm sure my mail order Martin will be even better once properly set up for me by a man who knows these things better than I do.

Before I get flamed: I am not knocking the Samick. It just was not for me.

Lanikai CKT Tenor Ukulele

"She won't care what I played it on. After I'm gone, she'll just remember the love in the song." Brudda Dakine

Last edited by Brudda Dakine; 03-20-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 PM

You never know, until you try one for a while, sometimes.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 03-20-2014, 10:53 PM

I'm more surprised you got $70 for the Samick really. My local GC lowballs like none other. It's rather annoying.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 PM

Great story, thanks for taking the time to share. I'm a firm believer that the guitar finds the player and not the other way around. It was fate that you were in El Monte and that the Pasadena GC had the Yamaha in stock. Although it costed you $100, doesn't it feel so good to have that Yamaha? Yeah...I believe that was fate's way of teaching you the 4 lessons you listed.

Congrats and may you make years of music with that new Yamaha!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 PM

Thumbs up

Nice story, glad you got the right guitar for you in the end.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Great story, thanks for taking the time to share. I'm a firm believer that the guitar finds the player and not the other way around. It was fate that you were in El Monte and that the Pasadena GC had the Yamaha in stock. Although it costed you $100, doesn't it feel so good to have that Yamaha? Yeah...I believe that was fate's way of teaching you the 4 lessons you listed.

Congrats and may you make years of music with that new Yamaha!
Yup, the Yamaha just feels right. I am surprised it is so good given the price. For some reason I cannot post pictures. I have a photobucket account, but can't insert an image here.

"She won't care what I played it on. After I'm gone, she'll just remember the love in the song." Brudda Dakine
Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmds View Post
I'm more surprised you got $70 for the Samick really. My local GC lowballs like none other. It's rather annoying.
I think I should have kept it, removed the Grover tuners for the Yamaha, and put it up in the classifieds for free to a child.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 PM

In photobucket, just copy the link that says "IMG" and then just paste it here.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
In photobucket, just copy the link that says "IMG" and then just paste it here.
Okay, turned Kaspersky off. Works!

Old 03-21-2014, 02:56 AM
Guest 429

Congrats on a great guitar. I'm a big fan of Yamaha.

I have 2 Yamaha "beaters," the FS700S in vintage sunburst (by serial numbers made in November 2012, the year of the launch date of the FS700S). Definitely keepers!

Yamaha delivers!

Last edited by Guest 429; 03-21-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Patience does have its virtues.

And I hope you also learned not to take reviews and other people's opinions as the gospel.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:17 AM

Congrats on getting the one you like.

Huss and Dalton T-0014
Collings I35LC
CA Cargo
Simon and Patrick Parlor
Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 AM

Lightbulb

That is the cheapest line of Samick, Sounds like you had a Dreadnought, I played a 000 size of that guitar at a small shop near me and almost bought it, just the size was so comfortable. Yammies are good, Those Fg700s or Fs700s are great for the money.

Snark Tuner
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Waking up in El Monte is enough to ruin any ones day ! I grew up not far from there.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 AM

Get the Martin setup properly!!!! They are rarely setup well from the factory IMHO and it makes a huge difference for sure .

Love the beater too...nice find!!
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, martin 000-17sm, samick, yamaha, yamaha fg700s sdb