The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Interesting... never thought about a compound radius... if you ever did break it....well... I don't like the sound of a compound fracture
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-05-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Interesting... never thought about a compound radius... if you ever did break it....well... I don't like the sound of a compound fracture
That would make a grown man cry.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Found a great compliment to the Emerald Ruby Cross.

I may send this cat a pic of the Ziricote Cross and see he can create a double headed Damascus axe to mimic that veneer.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Found a great compliment to the Emerald Ruby Cross.

I may send this cat a pic of the Ziricote Cross and see he can create a double headed Damascus axe to mimic that veneer.

Almost looks dangerous "You'll chop your eye out"... though folks might just call their guitars an Axe
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-24-2018, 04:27 PM

Here's a peek at the test piece to see how well Zircote takes color. Looks like the Ruby Cross will be outstanding, or should I say the 'Soon To Be World Famous Emerald Ruby Cross!'.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:29 PM
Guest 928

HOLY MOLY! WOW!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, what Evan said... with maybe a couple more exclamation points.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:48 PM

I think with a clear coat, that should meld nicely into a red CF weave. Based on that sample, the Ruby Cross should stand out as if it has a battery powered internal light bulb.

BTW, I'm going with the 25.5" - 26.5" scale length fan frets.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Wow that is very interesting and cool looking right there. Oh so one of a kind.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Just got word that my build is now on the production line. Kevin and I made sure the spec's were right. I've asked to change it to the new X30. There is a question if the veneer is wide enough for an X30 body. They are going to try a different section of the veneer on an X30 to check it out. I told them, even if there's a .5" red carbon weave purfuling halo around the veneer on an X30, I can't imagine anyone making fun of it.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:10 AM

I was just this minute think about your project, wondering how it was going/looking. Thanks for the timely post.

Emerald X20 Artisan w/Anthem
83 Martin D 18
Washburn Augusta
Yamaha 12 string
Old 07-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just got word that my build is now on the production line. Kevin and I made sure the spec's were right. I've asked to change it to the new X30. There is a question if the veneer is wide enough for an X30 body. They are going to try a different section of the veneer on an X30 to check it out. I told them, even if there's a .5" red carbon weave purfuling halo around the veneer on an X30, I can't imagine anyone making fun of it.
Congrats on getting into production! That is quite a change order, going from the X20 to the X30. It will be interesting to see what you and Alistair decide.

How have you been doing with the wait? Since we aren't Santa and can't "see you when you're sleeping..." (a bit of a creepy notion), have you been losing sleep?

Now, it's gettin' real!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
How have you been doing with the wait?
I have to admit, my hand was almost shaking opening these recent emails. I had been able to push it out of mind for the most part. But, like you said now it's really starting to get real.

Breath deep, hold and exhale slowly.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have to admit, my hand was almost shaking opening these recent emails. I had been able to push it out of mind for the most part. But, like you said now it's really starting to get real.

Breath deep, hold and exhale slowly.
Yeah, until the work starts, it's pretty abstract. Oh, you think about it: "That's going to be nice..."

When done, it is going to be a true one-of-a-kind. Very exciting.

I wonder how many builds at a time Alistair and staff can be working on? Is there a most efficient manner, like doing the carbon fiber lay-up on several... spraying color on several... fielding "Where is my guitar in the process??" e-mails of several at a time.

Very excited for you on this unique build.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:39 AM

Just got the final proof with an X30 template on my veneer. The X30 option is a $100 upcharge.

After I could finally stop starring at it, told em 'Let's Do It!'
Maybe it's just me, but that thing looks like it may be so full of music it might just play itself like a magical player piano. I'll have to get a bird cage cover and cover it up at night to get it to shut up for a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber